Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM

Smile Left Handed Shooters

Howdy Folks,

I'm wondering if you can help a fellow LH hunter out; i'm trying to find out where might be the best place to locate a new or used discontinued browning white gold medallion? I've been calling around to local shops in Calgary and area and am not having much luck over the last couple years. I'm looking to retire the old Tikka T3 Lite 6.5X55 for elk hunting and pick up something with a bit more downrange power.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,
AB Archer
Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 PM

All I can find is a blued medallion x-bolt 7mm left handed at P@D in Edmonton $1200, I have a a-bolt medallion and I love it. If your set on the white gold I would check with Prophet River, they might be able to find one. I'm a lefty also but I've shot right hand guns my whole life.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 PM

I know it doesn't answer your question but - what's wrong with the Tikka? 6.5x55 is plenty for all you can hunt for here. I happen to be looking for what you want to get rid of but only have a couple of righties to trade. Unless your hunting in an area that you may find a grizz, or it finds you, ah ok .... a guy can shoot whatever he wants as long as it's legal.

All you can do is scour the adds here and other forums maybe post a WTB add in a few places. Try calling a few of the gun shops, not the box stores, to see if they have. You never know one of them may know where to find what you seek. P&D in Edmonton, Prophet River in Loyydminster, Bashaw Sports in .... Bashaw to name a few.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 PM

I have a .240wby with everything you need to reload for it if you want something fast that is like the hammer of Thor on deer

LC
Old 07-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Can tire in RMH has a few LH tikkas on markdown prices. Pretty good. From .223 up to 300wsm.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
All I can find is a blued medallion x-bolt 7mm left handed at P@D in Edmonton $1200, I have a a-bolt medallion and I love it. If your set on the white gold I would check with Prophet River, they might be able to find one. I'm a lefty also but I've shot right hand guns my whole life.
Thanks for the heads up on the 7mm! Really appreciate it. I used to shoot RH all the time as well. Once I shot my first LH I was hooked so now i'm on a quest haha.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
I know it doesn't answer your question but - what's wrong with the Tikka? 6.5x55 is plenty for all you can hunt for here. I happen to be looking for what you want to get rid of but only have a couple of righties to trade. Unless your hunting in an area that you may find a grizz, or it finds you, ah ok .... a guy can shoot whatever he wants as long as it's legal.

All you can do is scour the adds here and other forums maybe post a WTB add in a few places. Try calling a few of the gun shops, not the box stores, to see if they have. You never know one of them may know where to find what you seek. P&D in Edmonton, Prophet River in Loyydminster, Bashaw Sports in .... Bashaw to name a few.
Thanks for the great information. I hadn't heard of Bashaw Sports before so i'll be adding that to the monthly call list.

I think I miscommunicated. I absolutely adore my 6.5X55. That thing is a tack driver and I reload my own rounds for it. I just wanted to get something with more downrange power for bull elk and moose hunting. The last elk hunt I did was a couple years ago in Suffield and I wasn't happy with the bullet retention when I finally got up next to a herd. Don't get me wrong I still filled my cow tag which I am extremely thankful for. I think with a bull elk or moose the cartridge availability in 6.5X55 in Canada just isn't there for me personally. To each there own though. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could do it; i'm just trying to work to my own limitations which just might be my imagination .
Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Archer View Post
I think I miscommunicated. I absolutely adore my 6.5X55. That thing is a tack driver and I reload my own rounds for it. I just wanted to get something with more downrange power for bull elk and moose hunting. The last elk hunt I did was a couple years ago in Suffield and I wasn't happy with the bullet retention when I finally got up next to a herd. Don't get me wrong I still filled my cow tag which I am extremely thankful for. I think with a bull elk or moose the cartridge availability in 6.5X55 in Canada just isn't there for me personally...
Bbbbut but you said you reload your own.

Be honest... you just want to buy another rifle!

Welcome to the club (and the forum).
Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Archer View Post
Thanks for the great information. I hadn't heard of Bashaw Sports before so i'll be adding that to the monthly call list.

I think I miscommunicated. I absolutely adore my 6.5X55. That thing is a tack driver and I reload my own rounds for it. I just wanted to get something with more downrange power for bull elk and moose hunting. The last elk hunt I did was a couple years ago in Suffield and I wasn't happy with the bullet retention when I finally got up next to a herd. Don't get me wrong I still filled my cow tag which I am extremely thankful for. I think with a bull elk or moose the cartridge availability in 6.5X55 in Canada just isn't there for me personally. To each there own though. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could do it; i'm just trying to work to my own limitations which just might be my imagination .
Yeah ok. If you load there are a lot of possibilities to cover all game but there is nothing wrong with wanting another gun in the cabinet If I could sell one or two righties I'd take that one off your hands but don't think you'd be interested in a trade for a rightie lol.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Bashaw for sure.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:01 AM

If it were my money and you want more power than the 6.5x55 I would go to almost any gun shop and pick up a Tikka T3X hunter stainless in a 300wm left hand. That will get you out there as far as you should be ethically shooting game.

Tags
browning, left hand rifle, new gun, used guns, white gold medallion