Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
All the oil companies buy all the brands, when it's gas jobs it's a calculation based on cost of maintenance vs cost of vehicle! So depending on the deal with supplier will dictate. I know I've seem companies run them all!

And as for gravel pusher gm and ford have the same clearance and gm also has a better payload capacity. Depending on model, not to mention better resale!

Ha Ha......Okay! Keep getting groceries you'll be fine.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 PM

My 2011 Ecoboost has 69000km on it, it's solid, no road or wind noise and gets 10-12Lper100k depending on how windy it is and thats going 109 with cruise set. I would by another one for sure.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
x30

I have a 2012 5.0L V8 F-150 and love it. Great truck. Lots of power (360 HP) and driving just over the speed limit (105km/hr I typically set the cruise on) I will get 12L/100km. Not to shabby for a pickup IMO.
Same as my 2012 F-150 5.0 Coyote, OK on the gas and they're a pleasure to drive. Gotta dig that rumbling noise when you hit on the gas.

X60
Old 03-16-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post
Ha Ha......Okay! Keep getting groceries you'll be fine.
Haha it's the only way to live!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM

I have a 11' Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4 and love it. The interior is nice enough(not as nice as the fords but I'm driving a truck not a luxury car), has enough power, averages around 13-14L/100k with the 5.3L with FM, and feels solid. Only real complaint is the front valence, I didn't realize how low it was and didn't take it off this year for hunting. Need less to say I broke it on the right hand side and its a 500 dollar fix. So it's still busted up and hanging with a zip tie because I can't justify shelling out that type of money for it.

All in all though if you want a truck for hauling look at the F250 or 2500's. If you want a truck that will get you from point A to point B with all the bells and whistles you need but nothing extravagant, can haul a load every now and then, get you out hunting, be comfortable, and run for a long time look at the GMC. My last one has 360,000K and is still going. Was the number one reason I went back to the GMC/Chevy. Another way to look at it is to look around and see how many 14+ year old F150's you see on the road, then look around and see how many Chevy's there are. I can guarantee you'll see more Chevy's/GM's from the early 90's to early 2000's then you will Fords of the same era.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM

I am not at fan of the Ford Truck look..i do like the GM
2014 look,it is the best design they finally came up with
since the 2002 look..but OP,
why not consider the Tundra's?,
that is what i'd go for if i had to choose.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 PM

I personally prefer to google it instead of asking on A0 ... people fight and move away from subject and on top of that you don't know ones experience with trucks ...
Personally I prefer GM, I hate fords and there will never be another ford in my family, but that is my personal opinion.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...ord_f-150_2014
http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...car-review.jsp

I hope this helps ...

Best review for a car is to get maintenance statistics across provinces from dealerships ....
Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Sierra 2011

Great truck. No problems as of yet. 85k and running strong as always. I tow our 30' travel trailer with no problem. 5.3 V8 crew. I'll be buying a 3/4 ton next time just for those big hills that she doesn't like all that much while towing.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 PM

With winter gas and the cold my EB mileage went down but it was still 17-18 MPG.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 PM

The last GM truck I had was a 1995, every single one since then has been a ford.

I have test driven countless chevs but never pulled the trigger for far too many reasons.

I made the mistake of buying a high end Chrysler in 1999 will never look at dodge again either.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM

Default VW

If you want to pull a plane here is something you might look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls23tHPX8mQ
Old 03-17-2014, 01:00 AM

Thanks guys. Regarding the active fuel management on the 5.3 GM anyone have lifter issues? Good to hear the pros and cons various people have. The extended box on the Fords is a big factor too, keep it coming guys
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 AM

No, never had any problem with the lifters or oil consumption on my 5.3 AFM.
Some of had these issues according to what I've seen on the net.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 AM

If you can find a leftover 2013 6.2 Sierra or Silverado - that is the one to get in my opinion. Doesn't have AFM. And pulls like a freight train.

The 6.2 gets pretty much the same mileage as the 5.3 as it downshifts less.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 AM
Banned

Your best bet is to take both trucks out for a test drive.
We can all give you our opinions based on the trucks we drive and have owned.
(2011 F-150 Fx4 V8 for me)

Twice I have gone in to buy a Dodge Ram and ended up getting a Ford.
It all comes down to preference, and what you need/ want in a truck.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Thanks guys. Regarding the active fuel management on the 5.3 GM anyone have lifter issues? Good to hear the pros and cons various people have. The extended box on the Fords is a big factor too, keep it coming guys
You can get a 6.5 foot box in the 2014 Chev/GMC crewcab, or you can get a 6.5 foot box if you go with an extended cab in the 2013's.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM

I have a 2010 F-150 5.4L XLT Crew Cab with 3.55's. For the first 45000km, it was a POS. Every service had something done other than the routine maintenance, including a complete transmission rebuild at 45K. The other repairs were relatively minor, but still were an indicator of the quality.

Since the rebuild, I've put on almost 43K and I have to say that they have been relatively trouble free.

I'm quite happy with the fuel economy. Towing my boat from Calgary - Revelstoke, I got better mileage pulling my boat than my buddy did empty with his 2010 Tundra. Summer tanks usually get 13-14L/100km mix of city/hwy and Winter is around 15L/100km on the same driving routes (empty). I pulled an 8000lb travel trailer last fall and was around 27-28L/100km which is on par with other gas jobs towing a load like that. I usually get 16-17L/100km towing my boat at 110km/hr (Lund Rebel 1725XL which I estimate to be around 2500-3000lb with trailer and gear).

When I bought in 2010, the F150 was the only truck that had a crew cab and 6-1/2' box in a half ton. Now I believe GM and Dodge offer it, but that was a major selling feature for me at the time. It's nice to be able to put my Grizzly 700 in the box and close the tailgate. I also really like the flat floor in the back seat, tons of space in the back seat and the 135L tank is great when spending a week out in the woods hunting. I also like getting that kind of fuel economy without cylinder deactivation...just another thing to break in my opinion.

My single biggest complaint with the F150 is the transmission. I have pretty much a complete opposite opinion as Coho911 regarding the transmission. Mine is also 3 years older so they may have worked out the bugs. But I found the shift points to be ridiculous...I can't go down a gravel road without having it in tow haul mode...otherwise it's constantly trying to get to 6th gear at 40-50km/hr. I understand it's for fuel economy but to me it feels excessive. Towing a trailer with 2 quads on it and on the highway with cruise set at 115, it will downshift from 6-3-4-5 rather than go 6-5. Also when in tow/haul mode and braking, it does not downshift as quickly as I would like to make use of engine braking, so I usually bump it from D-3-2 myself when exiting a highway and towing.

If you asked me before 45K if I would buy another Ford, I would say never again. Since then, my opinion has improved once the bugs were worked out of my truck. I would consider another Ford now, to be fair I think I did get a bit of a lemon and the dealership I go to has been great with regards to service and getting the issues resolved. I will definitely drive another Ford when I'm looking to replace in a couple years, especially since I'm hearing that the GM's are having similar transmission issues in their newer trucks. I was thinking about the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel, but the F150 has better payload and towing ratings and with diesel being more expensive, the better fuel economy will pretty much be negated by the cost of diesel, and it comes with increased purchase and maintenance costs.

The one thing for sure I will be getting in my next truck is one with a manual mode that I can use while towing or going down gravel roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
I have noticed that my Ford (XLT trim) still feels really high end inside and the drivetrain is just sweet - they got the transmission set up Fantastically, the truck is NEVER flipping back and forth between gears whether towing 8000 pounds or just driving around, pretty amazing actually.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM

I have a 2012 sierra with the 5.3L and love it, definitely a big fan of the updates GM made with the 2013. There is one noticeable problem with the 2013 that may not affect you, but when they made some changes to the 5.3L, it lost 2,000 lbs towing capacity, for lots of us that would be a deal breaker for towing. That number comes right from GMC's site.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Thumbs up 2012 f150 supercrew eco

I have 2012 f150 supercrew eco and I just love it, best truck I have ever owned. Back seat has odles of room. The gas mileage is not as good as published. I have averaged 22mpg actual combined city & hwy as I keep track of my mileage & liters. The best I ever got on straight hwy on nice windlless summer day Calgary to Medicine Hat return was 25 MPG. It is peppier than my last 5.4.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
I sure did. Lifters had to be replaced and it used oil like crazy. GM stated that using a litre of oil every 3000km was within spec. Mine was right at the borderline of 3000km so GM refused to do anything under warranty about the oil consumption. Then the tranny started to slip so I got rid of it as fast as possible. I went with a 2013 eco-boost and it has been great so far. Way more cab room. Longer box. Better towing. About the same fuel mileage as the 5.3 when towing. When not towing it is a little better than the 5.3 was but definitely not as good as advertised.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Incredigirl has her F150 with the EcoBoost engine and XTR package for almost two years now.
  • What we like:
  • Lots of power for towing
  • Roomy/comfy
  • Sync - Very handy - Besides the good Bluetooth/voice integration, the fact that we can just put a tiny USB flash drive in the dash is awesome. We don't need to keep an expensive music player in the truck
  • Looks great
  • Lots of room in the engine compartment to work
  • Rear diff lock
  • Better on fuel (and more power) than my 2005 XLT with the 5.4

What we don't like:
  • No driver's side grab handle! Grrr.
  • Chrome trim on bumper and step bars pretty cheap, and prone to rust
  • Transmission noise shield fell off - no way to get replacement screws, Dealership has a new shield on order for over 1/2 year now...
  • Mileage isn't great - but it is the long box and a higher trim level - that all adds weight

If we had to buy again, I'd be tempted to get the 5.0 engine, since such a small part of our use is towing. That being said, Incredigirl sure love to hear those turbos...

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 03-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM

I've had a ford f150 FX4 for the past 10 yrs
I love them
My last one is a 2012 boost, better on fuel then the old 5.4
I love the turbos, but if I cared about gas I'd drive a small car
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM

13' F150 S-cab.

In my opinion, everything I would want in a truck. Mind you, I can get by without leather seats or navigation. With the 3.55 gears I'm getting around 21.5 mpg on the highway. I've towed up to 6000 pounds last summer, seemed to hold up well.

However, the one thing I would change from factory is the gearing. Cruising at 60 km/hr and it goes all the way up to 5th gear right away. Its nice for fuel mileage, but when you need to accelerate then the transmission will drop gears fast making it a little jerky.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM

I run a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 working natural gas fields. Its got about 150,000 kms on it now. Nothing but regular maintenance. Hauls a heavy load and pulls heavy trailers without any trouble. If you balance the load on your trailer, the headlights wont point to the sky. A couple of years ago I pulled a 26' TT across the country and back with nothing but gas mileage to complain about. I wouldn't think about a Dodge. Too many tranny problems and just not a Ford fan. My old 1995 GMC still runs well for having almost a half million kms on it. Its just my hunting truck/firewood hauler now.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Do the Chevys and GMs still come with a little blue "Press Here to Call the Tow Truck" button?

Bought my first Ford in '08 and will not look back.

Sure I have had a few issues but the total cost of ownership in my fords has been less than half of what it was with a gm.

Maybe the GM product has gotten better, but still not enough to get me out from behind the wheel of my Eco F-150
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 AM

We have a 2013 F150 and we're averaging 10-12 l/100 km on the highway. That may improve a bit as the engine is just barely broken in.

It pulls my 18' travel trailer (hunting trailer) like it's not even there. It pulls our 24' travel trailer beautifully.

It's well built, comfortable and we've had absolutely no problems with it mechanically. It works great for hunting and my wife uses it for work to go to oil patch camps in northern AB all the time.

We replaced an 09 F150 with the 13. The 09 (with tow package) took our 24' trailer on a 5000 km round trip through BC, Washington, Oregon, northern Idaho and back home 3 different times and it pulled like a dream, even up steep inclines in the mountains. I haven't pulled the 24' through the mountains yet. Just one trip here in AB last summer.

Now, I'm not married to any particular brand of vehicle but both my wife and I believe in doing our research and here are some points to consider that helped us decide to buy a Ford truck.
- Ford is the only company that didn't need a bailout by the government
- Ford has outsold all other trucks in north America for many, many years
- Ford is the leader in technology and everybody else is always playing catch up and copying them.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 03-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

Now, I'm not married to any particular brand of vehicle but both my wife and I believe in doing our research and here are some points to consider that helped us decide to buy a Ford truck.
- Ford is the only company that didn't need a bailout by the government
- Ford has outsold all other trucks in north America for many, many years
- Ford is the leader in technology and everybody else is always playing catch up and copying them.
1. Ford received huge sums of money from their government...so that they didn't go broke.
2. Ford does not outsell GM brand trucks( Chevrolet&Sierra)
3. Ford has some good technology innovations, leaders they are not...

But you are welcome to believe what you do...
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, plenty of food for thought. Settled on a 2011 GMC Sierra with 40,000km. Best deal I found, one owner not a fleet buy back thats all over out there. Biggest selling point for me was active fuel management, with just under 3 years left on warranty, I'm happy and more than capable of a doing any mechanicals should worst happen.....sucks to be forced back into buying a vehicle when I had the jeep from new paid for, knew every nut and bolt, wish people would be a little more aware how their actions and negligence affect people, but that's life.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
1. Ford received huge sums of money from their government...so that they didn't go broke.
2. Ford does not outsell GM brand trucks( Chevrolet&Sierra)
3. Ford has some good technology innovations, leaders they are not...

But you are welcome to believe what you do...
LOL and who is?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/01...mber-2013.html
From these numbers it sure looks like Ford outsells Chev/GM
But maybe you know more than these guys....

Truck threads crack me up....Does anybody really give a s...t what the other guy drives

Last edited by madatter; 03-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4life View Post
Either way, don't go for the 2014 chevy for a while. They are having problems with them starting on fire from overheating catalytic converters and loosing all steering control....With that said, I would not hesitate to go for the 2013 chevy. They were the last year of that body style. So any problems they had in the beginning, are long since worked out. The 5.3 is a very good, proven powerplant. The F-150 eco-boost is a nice engine as well, just too new to have all the bugs worked out yet... My cousin has the eco-boost F-150 and loves the truck. He bought it brand new and it got great fuel milage for about the first 6 months. But after that, he says, it has dropped off considerably. I would say drive both of them and look at the price tag, options, warranty, etc. and decide which one works and fits YOU best. All vehicles have pros and cons, but it all comes down to what you decide upon.
X2