Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

Default one car per light???

just got off phone with city of edm. transportation. if you know your way around edm. you learn about certain streets that you can use as "shortcuts" to avoid congested areas. the city seems seems determined to make your commute as diffucult as possible by making "car traps" where only buses can drive through, zig-zag curbs on some streets, huge speed bumps on some streets, and turn only on arrow lights where you sit there in off peak hours with no traffic.
the newest brainstorm is this one car per green light that they have installed on a boullevard not far from my house. city says it is meant to restrict traffic in an exclusive upscale neighborhood. the nice lady told me that they are also installing them in some areas of calgary.
must be nice to be so important that regular citizens can't drive down your block. surprised they didn't just put a gate across this public road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one car.jpg (42.2 KB, 195 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 AM

They better not install those on my street!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-01-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:07 AM

One car per green light? So it's basically the same as a stop sign?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
One car per green light? So it's basically the same as a stop sign?
no. you have to wait for the light to turn green while the single oncomming car comes through. what B>S>
Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM

People driving trucks aren't affected by this legislation due to the wording used. It only applies to body-on-frame real trucks though, not wannabe's like Honda Ridgelines, those have to abide by the one car per light system. Had they noted 'vehicle' it would also apply to trucks, bicycles, pogo sticks and Segways.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
People driving trucks aren't affected by thislegislation. It only applies to body-on-frame real trucks though, not wannabe's like Honda Ridgelines, those have to abide by the one car per light system.
Does a Sport-trac or Avalanche count? Thank goodness I drive an f-150!

LC
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM

I have zero problems with traffic calming measures.

Would you like it if you couldn't turn out of your street because traffic was so bad?

There is many places here in calgary that required these measures, as home owners could not get out of their community. Or were waiting for 10-15 minutes to enter the road. Most of this was cured with strategically placed traffic circles and curbs.

I don't necesarily agree with the 1 car per light, but I have yet to see that here, and don't know the specific road (in edmonton), so I can't comment on that.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Isn't city living lovely
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM

I'd bet a significant amount of money that there's an alderman who lives in that street.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM

I live in an older area with north/south, east/west streets and avenues. One block north of me is a main ave. One block east is a secondary street and three blocks west is a main street. Traffic short cuts 4 blocks down my ave to avoid a left and right turn at traffic lights.I wish we had the anti-short cut zig zags. the city says it's too busy to have parking of my side of the ave.

God forbid, we stop the short cut traffic so I can park on my side of the ave so I can plug in during the winter
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

I discovered a way to get ppl to slow down to an acceptable 40km while they pass my house and the houses of my neighbours as we all have children.

Park a truck and trailer on one side of the road and a couple of trucks on the other.
Now as vehicles come flying around a corner doing 75, they are forced to slow down to 40, although many don't and continue on at Mach speed.

This traffic calming device costs the municipality and my fellow tax payer a total of 0.00 dollars.
Honestly, I think we should be able to park out RVs on the street all summer. Really choke the road down so ppl just my street all together.

Rember. 0.00 cost to the tax payer with my proposed plan.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I discovered a way to get ppl to slow down to an acceptable 40km while they pass my house and the houses of my neighbours as we all have children.

Park a truck and trailer on one side of the road and a couple of trucks on the other.
Now as vehicles come flying around a corner doing 75, they are forced to slow down to 40, although many don't and continue on at Mach speed.

This traffic calming device costs the municipality and my fellow tax payer a total of 0.00 dollars.
Honestly, I think we should be able to park out RVs on the street all summer. Really choke the road down so ppl just my street all together.

Rember. 0.00 cost to the tax payer with my proposed plan.

I like it! To bad it would cost me a parking ticket if I parked on my side of the ave.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Banned

what made this april fools day joke work is that it is so believable.
lefty canuck exposed it in his first post but changed his post to keep the joke alive. thanks to others who thought, or knew that these cameras are used in places that allow vehicles to merge safely onto busy hwys.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM

We already have that here. I watch the 'tards look at the light turn green and by the time the signal from their pea brain makes it to their foot the light has changed.

In most major cities they would be getting the horn for being so slow off the light...or shot at. Here we just let that behavior go unrewarded.

Those lights are usually on the entrances to freeways so you don't get a pile of people stopping at the end of the merge lane looking over their shoulder to see if it's ok to go. I've seen them work in that regard but in the US...
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
We already have that here. I watch the 'tards look at the light turn green and by the time the signal from their pea brain makes it to their foot the light has changed.

In most major cities they would be getting the horn for being so slow off the light...or shot at. Here we just let that behavior go unrewarded.

Those lights are usually on the entrances to freeways so you don't get a pile of people stopping at the end of the merge lane looking over their shoulder to see if it's ok to go. I've seen them work in that regard but in the US...
April fools joke aside, I heard last week, that there is an additional 4-5 second delay on busy intersections because of the amount of people now texting while sitting at a light.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
April fools joke aside, I heard last week, that there is an additional 4-5 second delay on busy intersections because of the amount of people now texting while sitting at a light.
Yup... used to be a guy would go years without using his horn...now he needs it at every other intersection.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post

Remember. 0.00 cost to the tax payer with my proposed plan.
It also makes it VERY easy to find your place!!
Cat