Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 04:43 PM

Default Sonic Boom

Wow was it loud last night .
I live on the far east side of Expo centre (30 blocks ) and I could hear that music from inside my house at 10 pm . I thought my nabour was having a party .
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM

It was ridiculously loud on Friday, very quiet on Saturday, and then not too bad on Sunday. I called and complained to the city (311) the police, 311 again, as well as the Northlands Community Relations Officer, who was kind enough to leave his phone # on a circular that was delivered to our house.

I was 20 blocks north of the show leaving the gym with my earphones in on Friday night, listening to heavy metal, and I could hear the music from Sonic Boom over the my earphones.

Don't be afraid to call the city and register a complaint.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Or just relax.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 PM

A petition was started on Sunday I think, it was on change.org. I could hear it from the Italian center shop at 95st/107ave.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 AM

We could here it on 50st - 137av Manning crossing area.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 AM
Banned

Have to say JR that I didn't know what you were talking about when you said expo centre. My wife tells me that is the new name of the agricom.
As for the noise, big deal. If you live in the city it's to be expected. K-days are noisy plus the fireworks at 11 p.m. You can hear the esks games here in beverly. The car races at the airport can be heard all over town. Even on non-event days you hear fire, ambulance and police sirens at all times of day or night. Even the freight trains coming in and out of edm. at all hours are noisy.
Just the sounds of the hood.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM

Hello all... this is my first post here on the outdoorsmen forum.

Sounds like a lot of you got to listen to some live music for free!

I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's one weekend...

Last edited by the.tru.albertan; 09-02-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Banned

Heard it, didn't know what it was til I read this thread. There were a few outdoor events that made noise this summer.

Relax...
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Nimby

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Have to say JR that I didn't know what you were talking about when you said expo centre. My wife tells me that is the new name of the agricom.
As for the noise, big deal. If you live in the city it's to be expected. K-days are noisy plus the fireworks at 11 p.m. You can hear the esks games here in beverly. The car races at the airport can be heard all over town. Even on non-event days you hear fire, ambulance and police sirens at all times of day or night. Even the freight trains coming in and out of edm. at all hours are noisy.
Just the sounds of the hood.
Exactly. If you don't like the sound of airplanes flying over, don't buy a house at the end of a runway? That's for those thinking of buying in the new "Callaghan" area. We'll be getting petitions to move the airport even further out of town any time now (?). You got free what the close-in crowd paid for.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM

Default sure complain

Then you will get a bylaw like Calgary has so no city concerts are allowed and all the big name bands will play elsewhere. Attended a Stones concert many years ago and the promoters publicly thanked Edmonton for allowing a concert Calgary would turn down due to noise bylaws.
I would prefer quiet enjoyment 355 days a year so we could have big name bands once in a while but no one asked my opinion before passing the bylaw based on a few complaints.