Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Gmc Truck extended warrantee

Would like to hear from any GMC owners if its worth buying?

My older 89 GMC which got stolen was pushing 30 years old, and the only thing it need besides a brake job was a water pump. Not bad.

Now i have a 2018 GMC HD3500 gas unit .....should i get the extended warrantee ?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

How long ya keeping it?
You could keep standard warranty and then when you approach the tail end of it if you so wish buy the extended warranty, they will go over it prior to the extended warranty purchase.
If the truck turns out to be a warranty queen prior to the timeline of maybe getting an extended warranty I would flog it and move on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-06-2018, 08:17 AM

If you keep up on the maintenance as suggested, you probably don’t need extended warranty. If you don’t do the maintenance, you probably won’t be covered by warranty anyways. Most major problems are going to show up in the first 3 Years or 60,000km if you’re going to a lemon. Electrical problems are the worst - and expensive if out of warranty. That’s the only reason I got rid of my 2014 GMC truck - at 55,000 km.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Banned

As Justben said...depends on how long you keep it.
Mechanical defects tend to show up fairly soon...electrical issues can pop up years later.
Your '89 was fairly simple as far as the electrics go....your '18 has more onboard electrics than the American's went to the moon with.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:35 AM

biggest scam going .you are paying up front for the possible repairs and
if you don't use it they win.I allways give my customers a quote and tell them that the dealers usually find some reason to deny the warranty and say its not covered.LOTS HAVE COME BACK AND TOLD ME I WAS RIGHT THEY DENYED ITThere is a deductable you have to pay when getting work done as well.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Don’t bother, put the money in a TFSA for a rainy day. From experience, every time I tried to use it, denied, read the fine print.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Complete scam, borderline criminal
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Yah I’d never buy an extended warranty. Most consumer reports recommend against it as that so where dealers make a large portion of their money. Total scam! When I bought my Jeep in December 2016 then salesmen was telling me how great a vehicle it was, Beyer than anything and would never let me down. Went in to sign the papers and the finance guy starts telling me how it’s going to break down sooner or later and I should buy the extended warranty. Other than that issue the Jeep dealer is one of the best I’ve ever dealt with. Went in 6 months later and they remembered exactly who I was where I lived and what I did for work etc... too bad they don’t sell new ford trucks lol
Old 05-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Banned

It’s not worth it in my books to finance your future repairs now in case you might need them later. I’m gonna figure that extended warranty is gonna be around $5000. You can fix a lot stuff for $5000.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:53 PM

You have 2 years and 364 days or 59999km to wait and decide on the extend d warranty. See how the maintenance costs are during my this timeline then decide. My last Chev 2500 HD was a great unit. Very low maintenance costs. My new 2017 I hope is the same. Just more bells and whistles to worry about now that may go.