Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Default Filming hunts

Hey guys I want to film some waterfowl hunts this fall and get footage for my facebook page as well as some video clips for my website. What's the best set up for this? I have a digital Rebel camera but not sure if there is a better system than that. Was thinking Go pro but they are pretty wide angle and can't zoom much. I am not very teck savy so easy to download and edit would be a must. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:52 PM

I know a couple of guys that film their hunts and they have told me about the misfortunes of running a camera. It seems they are frustrated lots of times. It takes a few hunts to learn how to fine tune DYI filming.

I see Moultrie has HD Video Camera Glasses to wear. It would be no fuss getting the video clip of the goose hunt ...where ever you look you are recording. Hands free. A cheap investment to start with anyways. No camera gear needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsLcrGWTwVY
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-09-2018, 11:58 PM

Know your equipment and run it beyond it's limitations. Have some loot to buy drop loss or invest in everything proof housings. Best of luck. Nothing is cheap/light/easy in the filming game.Post what you feel is worth watching always. Patreon is your friend if you go the Y route.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 AM

I have a GoPro and a cheap knock-off HD that works very well unfortunately neither of them have zoom on ,I do believe Garmin makes one with a zoom on though anyway it's a lot of fiddling around and usually my footage isn't as good as I thought it was but it's still fun to do good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey guys I want to film some waterfowl hunts this fall and get footage for my facebook page as well as some video clips for my website. What's the best set up for this? I have a digital Rebel camera but not sure if there is a better system than that. Was thinking Go pro but they are pretty wide angle and can't zoom much. I am not very teck savy so easy to download and edit would be a must. Any thoughts?

I know a number of guys that blog/vlog etc and swear by the Canon SL2. It's tough, tiny footprint and cheap. With the kit lens it'll come in around $700 and integrate with your current setup.

▪ mic input

▪ 60p

▪ Good video autofocus (dual pixel)

▪ Flip out screen

▪ Great battery life

▪ Tough and cheap

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to try my Digital camera. I have a SLR Rebel T3i and will see how that does for now. Might try a go pro and some other ideas as well.
Any of you guys edit much for video? Is there an easy to use system for editing on a MAC? I movie might be the way to go?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM

If you're not tech savvy, stick to iMovie. Anything beyond that will likely frustrate you.