Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Son Really wants to get into Bow Hunting!!

We are experienced hunters but have never bow hunted. My son really wants to get into it. He's 17 and a pretty strong kid.

We've done some research and I've read over the forums, but when you don't know anything about bows, I thought I'd turn to you guys for some help.

He's going to do it and I'll support him all I can.
I want to get him set up with a good bow package and all the gear he needs.

Just thought I'd post this and maybe get some tips, etc. on how to get going.

I guess we should go to a shop like Jim Bows (or ?) and *Hopefully* someone will spend a bunch of time with us.
I think we'll buy new gear because we just don't know enough to buy used stuff.

I don't know. I could go on but I'm sure you guys get the drift.

Would you mind helping us out here. Thank You, Bob
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Talked my old man into buying me a bow from a pawn shop and away I went . Bought some 1916 aluminum arrows tipped with 125 he thunderheads from trophybook and away I went !!!! HA A stop at a pro shop would be a better start
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM

A pro shop like Jimbows is the way to go. They will get your son properly set up. Get home to try as many bows as possible within your budget as you can. Pick what feels best for him. I didnt know anything when I bought my first bow. Carson at Jimbows got me set up. Gave me some pointers and then let me shoot the rest of the day for free after I bought my bow.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
A pro shop like Jimbows is the way to go. They will get your son properly set up. Get home to try as many bows as possible within your budget as you can. Pick what feels best for him. I didnt know anything when I bought my first bow. Carson at Jimbows got me set up. Gave me some pointers and then let me shoot the rest of the day for free after I bought my bow.
Yeah thanks. That would probably be best. I thought I'd call and maybe make an appointment. I want to get something good that he'll have for a while.
Budget would be $700.00 or so, I think. Would that get him going with a good set up, you think?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 PM

$700 would probably be on the low end once you start figuring things like arrows, a release, etc.
definitely doable at that price point - but you’ll be getting a low end setup.

I agree with the suggestion of Jim Bows. I’m not sure where you’re located, but they’re knowledge, customer service and options are the best out there. In Calgary, anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM

I got set up a few years ago from jimbows in Calgary and got a bowtech carbon knight I believe it was and release arrows ready to shoot for 850.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
$700 would probably be on the low end once you start figuring things like arrows, a release, etc.
definitely doable at that price point - but you’ll be getting a low end setup.

I agree with the suggestion of Jim Bows. I’m not sure where you’re located, but they’re knowledge, customer service and options are the best out there. In Calgary, anyway.
I would suggest that $700 would be about a 1/2 way point on budget; you may try it and have to buy 2 setups.....

And yes, I agree with Sage that $700 is on the low side, but totally doable as well. Look into their used selection once your son is fitted; there may be something there that will work very well for him and come in well under budget. Things to not skimp on would be rest and sight.

AND!!!!! Be sure that before leaving the shop KNOW HOW TO CHECK THE ARROWS after shooting! Carbon, carbon/aluminum, aluminum.... They all have different ways to check for cracks & damage. Safety first and never fire a damaged arrow!

J.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
THIS^^^^^

I shoot a bow my brother had, miss match arrows, draw way way to long, crap sights etc.

Bought a proper bow 20 years later...Man what a difference a couple bucks and a good guy to set it up plus a few good archery books...it was like night and day. Being cheap is not necessarily being smart.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Tell your son to check out, John Dudley's school of nock on YouTube. I think there is ten videos, lots of information!! Start from the beginning. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Don't forget to factor in a range finder in that budget.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Don't let him dwell on a miss, frustration is part of the sport, perseverance and stay the course, tell him to listen to all and find his way to enjoy the sport....I see too many drop something because they couldn't be like someone....who cares....be yourself and at the end it will that much more enjoyable.

Appreciate it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Don't forget to factor in a range finder in that budget.
Got that covered, we hunt. My son just wants to start hunting with a bow.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
Got that covered, we hunt. My son just wants to start hunting with a bow.
I still seriously think that you should give it a try as well Score.... You might be hooked.

It's a very close range, permanent style game of hid and seek, with me being the loser most of the time but occasionally winning. Great fun!

J.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I still seriously think that you should give it a try as well Score.... You might be hooked.

It's a very close range, permanent style game of hid and seek, with me being the loser most of the time but occasionally winning. Great fun!

J.
I know you're right, and I'll never say never. Right now though, I'm addicted to my guns.

I have great fun and take pride in teaching and watching my son hunt. He's been shooting since he could walk, then suddenly the other day, he said he wanted to bow hunt.

He has his bow now and the next stop is JimBows and some lessons.

I'm going to help him scout, set up cams, blinds, etc., etc..

To tell you the truth, I don't care if I ever kill anything again. Being with him and watching him do it makes me happy.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM

............ that said, there are some animals out there that I happen to have draw priority for, when I won't hesitate