Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 AM

Let the rumours die. I just heard back from the fish market in Granville island selling the fraser spring salmon. They were caught legally in the test fishery.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Holy Cow! The only people out there that could afford that are the money launderers.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Holy Cow! The only people out there that could afford that are the money launderers.
This just further complicates things completely, if people are stupid enough to pay $50/lb for breeders that means a certain group will be fighting tooth and nail to ensure 100% of that $ goes to them, once they find out what the netted value is. Everything else will be closed to appease them.

The greed and corruption in what used to be Canada is just sickening.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 AM

That is one of my main fears with declining stocks. The remainder of the fish are worth even more making the motivation for people to do nefarious harvesting even greater. Not good.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned

Arrow

Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Now we see the minister starting to feel the pressure. Can anyone recall a time when a fisheries minister provided an editorial piece prior to this?

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-...chinook-salmon

His article is so full of spin and misdirection I'd hazard a guess one of Pierre's Idiot Child's scripters wrote it for him.

And, at the same time he releases that drivel, he also opens up two more FIVE DAY openings for FN's on endangered stocks:

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...nTimes-eng.htm

What a bloody mess...

Nog
Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Two more, week long FN openings for Chinook just granted on the Fraser.

Brings us to a total of a dozen openings for them since taking pretty well everyone else off the water...

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...nTimes-eng.pdf
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 PM

There, you got all the salmon. Happy now? No more spawners, in 4 years they should be completely decimated.
Can we have our pipeline now?
JT, sparklysocks.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM

I feel for you people who have been raised in this environment of plenty, however the handwriting is on the wall.I was raised in outport NFLD, plenty of fish, no end to it ,my dad used to say years ago when it was mentioned about cutting back "how can they take away my god given rights" Well it's all gone to hell in a handbasket, which is exactly what's going to happen in BC,greed has always been the bottom line.Enjoy it while you can I predict within 20 years it will be difficult to catch salmon anywhere in BC.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Now up to SIXTEEN Openings. This time the Lower. The 24 hour canyon opening will be nothing short of a slaughter.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f...eningTimes.pdf
Old 05-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Arrow

Posted to the minister:

Hasn't even been a month, yet SIXTEEN openings you have let, many of them a week's long duration, on the most endangered runs of Chinook the Fraser has??!! That works out to nets in the water more often than not since you told us all that was the EXACT reason you were forcing everyone else off the water!? You are indeed "rising the bar" as you so eloquently put it. In the highest achievable level of HYPOCRISY possible that is. :-(

Nog
Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Make that SEVENTEEN (see previous link above) as another canyon 24 hour opening was just announced.

Starting to get the gist of this bull crap yet?

Nog
Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Banned

Arrow

This post is for any that suggest the FN's have a "right" to these endangered fish.
They do not.
Conservation trumps all (or is supposed to).

NO FN has the so-called right to fish any run into extinction.
And NO government has any call openly supporting them to do so.
What we are witnessing now is a complete travesty on both parts!

Any that wish to educate themselves as to just how low some of the numbers are, have a read:

http://www.frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/Day 1 2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures.pdf
Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Banned

Arrow

By DFO's own admission, the vast majority of both the river and the FN fisheries are "not monitored":

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...Report-eng.htm

Minister isn't doing enough, quickly enough, to protect Chinook salmon

It is troubling and at an unnecessary cost to the public fishery when it is the optics of the actions that are more important than the expected effects.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
By DFO's own admission, the vast majority of both the river and the FN fisheries are "not monitored":

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...Report-eng.htm

Minister isn't doing enough, quickly enough, to protect Chinook salmon

It is troubling and at an unnecessary cost to the public fishery when it is the optics of the actions that are more important than the expected effects.

They sure as hell patrol Rupert. We were stooped and boarded 3 times in 1 day, coast guard, rcmp, dfo. It is a pitfa, you have to cease all activity and reel up while they stomp around. Of you can afford a big boat you can afford big fines, they roll the dice every chance they get I guess. The FN apparently dont pay fines, so they dont chase them. Time to spit in a beaker.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Funding denial comes on the heels of fishing closures

The letter is misleading in that every hatchery request was denied, Saunders said.

The denial of funding comes on the heels of other announcements by the federal government this spring that have severely limited salmon fishing in the region and have dealt lethal blows to several fishing charter businesses in the region.

“When the fishing closures were announced, I can tell you that I lost $250,000 in donations for the project. People were just at rock-bottom and it was hard to generate any enthusiasm for our project. I can’t imagine what this latest announcement is going to do,” Saunders said.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news...ising-efforts/
Old 05-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Banned

Arrow

What this man says in his letter has been well backed by science:

May 30: Fluctuations not a whale crisis

It’s time to stop perpetuating the myth that the population of southern resident killer whales has been “dramatically reduced.”

Whale census data compiled by the Centre for Whale Research shows numbers have been stable for the last 60 years, fluctuating between a low of 66 in 1973 and high of 98 in 1995. The last count, on Jan. 11, 2019, showed 75 members.

The organization has published annual numbers with modelled data from 1960 to 1972 and census data afterward.

That data shows no sign of statistically significant change in the southern resident killer whale population, and doesn’t show any dramatic reduction.

While I agree we should try to support our resident whales, let’s stop creating a fake crisis. There is no crisis.

Richard Lewanski
Sidney

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...sis-1.23838632

And once again, there you have it. ENGO's playing fast and rather loose with the truth, and their political lackeys swallowing their drivel hook line and sinker. "Crisis" created and BC fishermen targeted once again by the Sky-Is-Falling LIEberals...

Nog
Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
What this man says in his letter has been well backed by science:

May 30: Fluctuations not a whale crisis

It’s time to stop perpetuating the myth that the population of southern resident killer whales has been “dramatically reduced.”

Whale census data compiled by the Centre for Whale Research shows numbers have been stable for the last 60 years, fluctuating between a low of 66 in 1973 and high of 98 in 1995. The last count, on Jan. 11, 2019, showed 75 members.

The organization has published annual numbers with modelled data from 1960 to 1972 and census data afterward.

That data shows no sign of statistically significant change in the southern resident killer whale population, and doesn’t show any dramatic reduction.

While I agree we should try to support our resident whales, let’s stop creating a fake crisis. There is no crisis.

Richard Lewanski
Sidney

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...sis-1.23838632

And once again, there you have it. ENGO's playing fast and rather loose with the truth, and their political lackeys swallowing their drivel hook line and sinker. "Crisis" created and BC fishermen targeted once again by the Sky-Is-Falling LIEberals...

Nog
Keep on exposing the double speaking hypocritical manipulator's, never let them gaslight people, praying on their emotional vulnerabilities is a type of terrorism.

I appreciate all your efforts IronNoggin, you are a badass Canadian patriot.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
... I appreciate all your efforts IronNoggin, you are a badass Canadian patriot.
Thank You SIR!

I am a displaced fisherman because of this government's inane behavior.
They have given me something I rarely had before - time.
Time to investigate and call their BS out when I see it.
Although broke, I am determined.
You can expect to be hearing more on these issues down the road as a consequence...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank You SIR!

I am a displaced fisherman because of this government's inane behavior.
They have given me something I rarely had before - time.
Time to investigate and call their BS out when I see it.
Although broke, I am determined.
You can expect to be hearing more on these issues down the road as a consequence...

Cheers,
Nog

So damn true!

TIME TIME TIME!!!

NO ONE HAS ANY TIME ANYMORE.

2 jobs, 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, an hour commuting each way ,school, sports,dopamine overload because of endless entertainment 24/7...

It takes time to figure these things out and society is running on their hamster wheel 24/7 just trying to not starve and become homeless.

Once they take from you, you become emboldened to take back what is rightfully yours!

Good luck friend and never let them convince you to live in fear of them.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Banned

Arrow

Related Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaUahXWmn4
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Banned

Iron.. What are you going to do this Summer?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Iron.. What are you going to do this Summer?
Work on getting the liberals booted out.

Nog
Old 06-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Work on getting the liberals booted out.

Nog
I meant for work ! LOLOL

No heading north to go fishing for a Lodge or something?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Banned

Arrow

I have an offshore research project to attend to for much of July.
August we may actually get to fish.
Then it will be scramble time to find something to try and keep the wolves at bay...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

FORTY-ONE FN in-river Openings to date on the most threatened runs of Chinook the Fraser has since Wilkinson imposed the restrictions.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/f...nTimes-eng.htm

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f..._Previous.html

In addition to an ongoing full blown FN Troll Fishery (with no numbers cap) in Area G waters that the latter were forced off of due to "conservation concerns".

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f...=221391&ID=all

And on top of that, the letter the Minister sent around today no longer even attempts to disguise the re-allocation aspect:

“In addition, new restrictions in commercial and recreational fisheries are intended to support increased availability of not at risk Summer 41 Chinook for First Nations fisheries harvest opportunities during August and September.”

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...nal-pdf.45727/

Rather obvious to anyone with eyes this is a complete travesty.

Nog
Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 PM

It's hard not to puke reading that.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
It's hard not to puke reading that.
Try coming at it from the perspective of having your employment yanked out from under you to cater to this BS!

Victor says salmon was once so abundant, there would be three or four fish barbeques in the community every weekend throughout summer.

And they wonder where the fish went??

“I can tell you, our value on the fish is much more than any recreational or commercial fish they catch,” he said.

So the fish sold roadside out of the back of a truck is more valuable than troll or recreational caught? Really??

But if they catch one fish that’s Fraser-bound, that’s enough. You compromise the constitutional priority, in my mind.”

Locked down the entire South Coast damn near, while recognizing the majority of those fisheries had no impact.
Under threat that they would fish the stocks of concern into extinction should they not get their way.
And now whine for even more...

Victor says that to uphold constitutional priority, DFO shouldn’t allow any fisheries, catch-and-release or otherwise, until after Indigenous fisheries have theirs.

He also says that Canada should consider giving control of commercial fishing to Indigenous Peoples, who have fished the same populations for millennia.

Bottom Line: We want it ALL, and we want it NOW!

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...ng-fish-stocks
Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Well said and simply a continuation of an inept and politically motivated department.

I worked as an observer on draggers in the 80's and 90's that cruised up and down the coast crushing and killing everything in their path. Now it seems their inexplicably blind eye to the impacts of this fishery on rock fish that mature late in their life cycle has come full circle. Instead of foresight they are simply reactionary and their reactions are not at all effective.

I had a dream to retire with my son doing a coastal guiding business. Might as well throw that out the window and maybe just start working for some American multinational influencing us little Canadians like guinea pigs.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:29 PM

Putting netting and angling in the same context is irresponsible. Nets are in essence non specific and release is not practical. Catch and release of salmon in non tidal waters is ethical and successful in most cases. Why do particular recreational fishing groups do this divisional politicizing?

If anything non tidal anglers are at the last minute whim of any fisheries management and due to the ineptitude of the department they take the brunt. Just because ocean boys cannot necessarily be made accountable for affects on particular river systems they do have an impact.