Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default How do the Hornady Acu-bonds compare to remington corelocs?

I've used 150 grain corelocs in my .270 for many years for both moose and deer. This year I went down to 130 grain bullets, I did not hunt moose this year but after finding a few mutilated bullets in deer I feel that they would not offer much room for error on moose. I am going to either go back to using 150 grain bullets or start using tougher 130 grain bullets and was wondering if the Hornady acubonds hold together well enough that that they would be worth trying or if I'll need to use a tougher bullet still to get away with using 130's thanks.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Hornady Interbonds should retain more integrity than Rem corelokt. any premium bullet(Barnes TSX, nosler partition, accubond, swift Scirroco etc) should work fine, pick the one that groups the best in your rifle.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Hornady doesn't make an Accubond,Nosler does.Hornady makes the Interbond which is also a bonded core bullet which performs similar to the Accubond.Both offer better weight retention and penetration than the core loct,but less than the all copper bullets made by Hornady,Barnes,or Nosler.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Hornady doesn't make an Accubond,Nosler does.Hornady makes the Interbond which is also a bonded core bullet which performs similar to the Accubond.Both offer better weight retention and penetration than the core loct,but less than the all copper bullets made by Hornady,Barnes,or Nosler.
Thank you for pointing that out Elkhunter. So in your opinion do you think that a 130 grain Interbond will penetrate as well as a 150 grain coreloc or am I going to have to go to a partition or all copper bullet to get that. If I cant get by using 130 grain interbonds I think I'll go back to using 150 grain coreloc and fusion bullets.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
do you think that a 130 grain Interbond will penetrate as well as a 150 grain coreloc
Yes,but not as much as a 130 gr monometal bullet.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Not a single one of the Hornady bullets has ever failed to deliver the game for me. I've used Interlocks, Interbonds, and V-max's. All perform very well for me. I've got two boxes of FTX's for my .444 Marlin which are the stuff that LeverEvolution is loaded with, no results on that yet. But my 265gr Interlocks in the .444 are examplary performers on both a WT doe and a bull elk. The V-max's are accurate and explosive enough on 'yotes to give me a pin hole entry and no exit....great for minimal pelt damage outta my .223. I'm not a Hornady salesman, althoug I may sound like one.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Banned

fusions are tougher than they advertise, i used 130's in my tikka .270 on coyotes, deer and moose, not much meat damage, all exits, no big holes even hittin bone etc. so its a deep penetrator even in 130 gr imo, see similar experience with the 95 gr fusions in my introductory gun the youth .243 and half the damage or less than 95 gr ballistic tips on high shoulder shot bucks around 200 yrds....so if your gun likes fusions then no probs on moose imo

i like accubonds, but you pay for them, i think fusions offer a lot of performance for the dollar

i shot my ram this year with 140 accubonds from 270 wsm at 35 yrds high shoulder shot and got exit of course, he fell into couple trees and upside down dead but legs in air bicycling, when i got up to him and around tree he was facing and obviously done but the one leg still kind of moving so i planted another up sternum as it just felt right at the time....that bullet i recovered under hide along a rear quarter, cleaned and weighed at 70.1 grains....so 50% weight retention from point blank at 3160 fps....i was impressed it held together that with that velocity at that range

from the stuff i've shot with accubonds now and witnessed from others using them, the fusions are still tougher, do less damage, the accubonds kind of bridge the gap for me between ballistic tips and deep penetrators that do little meat damage, give me decent blend of damage and penetration...its what i like, will keep going with them until i see something i don't like...good so far

hth