Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Default first time reloading

I have all the equipment needed to reload so there is no time like the present to start, this will be my first time and i am first trying 223, i got h4895 powder and 55gr hornady fmj-bt. tumbling my brass as we speak and will start tonight if the cases clean in time, any recommandations on loads would be nice, i am gong to start with 24gr of powder which is a start charge in the speer #14 reloaders manual
thanks
jackal
Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM

I haven't found the fmj bullets to produce the best accuracy in my rifles,but you might be more fortunate.My own 223 prefers the 55gr Ballistic Tip in front of Benchmark,in a Lapua case.I seat the bullets .010" off of the lands.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:57 PM

X2 on the Benchmark powder for the 223!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

My .223 and V-max's 55 grainers do a superb job with 25.5 gr of Varget.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Default problems

so my first reloading experiance was trying at best, first off i broke the primer remover pin from my die, do not know what happened exactly but i think a piece for the tumbler media was in the case, so i had 3 cases ready to finish the process then i found out the rcbs hand priming tool does not fit the lyman shell holder, so i used the one on the rockchucker press to prime my 3 cases, got my powder weight all set and seated the bullets to the proper lenght. then realized i did not have a crimper which is called for semi auto firearms, so i will have to spent more money now, but on the bright side i was having fun and now know the process and what i need
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
then realized i did not have a crimper which is called for semi auto firearms,
I never used a crimps on loads for my BAR,and apparently it works just fine without crimping.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Too bad you are having troubles. It gets a lot easier. Were you using military crimped brass? A lot of military 223 brass have their primers crimped in so they are a little more stiff to remove. I don't have any problems punching the crimped primers out with standard sizing dies though. I haven't seen a rifle that wouldn't shoot 52 gr. Sierra Matchkings. I use 25.5 gr. of Benchmark powder. That being said my rifle also shoot 50gr and 55gr V-max bullets very well. Have fun in your loading ventures.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 PM

The crimper is a feature of the seating die. In order to crimp properly, it is fairly important that all cases be the same length. Otherwise, your crimp will vary. Generally speaking, I would not crimp. However, if you want to do so, set up this way:
First, seat a bullet so the crimping cannelure is located just within the mouth of the case. You want to have about 1/2 of the cannelure exposed. When doing this, set the die so it is about a full turn away from the shell holder with the handle all the way down.
Next, back your seating stem out about four turns.
Now, place the cartridge back into the shellholder and run it all the way up. Loosen the lock ring on the die and screw the die down until it contacts the cartridge. Lower the cartridge and turn the die in about 1/4 turn. Run the cartridge all the way up.
When you remove the cartridge, you will see the bullet is now crimped in place. If the crimp is sufficiently formed, tighten down the lock ring. If you nedd more crimp, turn the die in a little further (1/8 turn or less). Run the shell back in a re-check. Again, if the crimp is satisfactory, lock the die down.
Now, run the cartridge back in and screw the seating stem down until it touches the bullet firmly. Now you are set. Leeper
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM

Default crimping

I would not crimp until your familiar with loading,it can raise presures quite a bit if its to tight.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Smile Reloading

Glad to hear that we have a new reloader. You are getting some very good advice. I had trouble getting my Ruger to work as a semi auto for 2 reasons. I needed to resize all the brass before every reload. In my 06 I used to fire form the cases and just reload, it is a bolt action. Secondly my reloads were not hot enough to fully activate the action.

The key here is don't give up or get discouraged. Most of all, shoot lots, you'll be amazed at how much better you shoot with more practice and reloads that are much better than factory loads.

Coyotes make great moving targets.

Welcome to the club