Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Question Mounting Scotty Flush mounts

I want to mount 6 x Scotty Flush mounts #244 to the gunnels of my 2011 Crestliner Super Hawk. However the gunnels are a C- Channel and I can’t get up in side. And I don’t want the bolts showing if I drill threw the Gunnels. So I want to know f any one has used Trex self tapping 1/4 screw an Inch long. Has anyone done this? Will this work. I will be trolling for Jacks and Walleyes. I have 2 Walker Chinook Downriggers for Lakers. Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

I wouldn't Trust Scotty's go with the Down East Salty there are the cats meow. They will last a life time. Scotty's are junk, hard to work. Try pulling your rod out of one with a 20lbs plus pike on it. I would never put them on my boat.....
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM

OVerdrawn..thanks I ahve already purchased the Scotty's months ago. the questioned asked will the Trex self taping screws work on the gunnel, Will they be strong enough. Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

I know what your saying and make sure there stainless. Or the aluminum will corrode them off in couple weeks. And if your trolling for pike and walleye and you have downriggers and want to trust your trolling rods in them go ahead. I owned 4 scotty's and one broke and I lost a $600 set up. And the other 3 are in the trash. So if ur serous about trolling which it sounds like u are. Look at the Down East and don't destroy your boat by putting flush mounts on. 300 bucks will get you 6 Down eases and it would have saved me my 600dollar trolling rod. Put some rails on and away you go. Like they say if your going to do something do it right the first time. Just some words of advice from some who has been there dun that.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 PM

I have a simular set up on my boat. Just drilled and tapped the holes and screwed in. Self tappers should work just fine. I would also put a small bead of 3M marine sealent under the flange for good measure as well as a small bit in the holes. Just drill in, pull the self tapper out, put a drop of sealent in the hole and screw back in. Not only will this seal the hole but act as loctite. I also have had no problems with the scotties with 20 lb pike.....J.S.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrawn View Post
I know what your saying and make sure there stainless. Or the aluminum will corrode them off in couple weeks. And if your trolling for pike and walleye and you have downriggers and want to trust your trolling rods in them go ahead. I owned 4 scotty's and one broke and I lost a $600 set up. And the other 3 are in the trash. So if ur serous about trolling which it sounds like u are. Look at the Down East and don't destroy your boat by putting flush mounts on. 300 bucks will get you 6 Down eases and it would have saved me my 600dollar trolling rod. Put some rails on and away you go. Like they say if your going to do something do it right the first time. Just some words of advice from some who has been there dun that.
Very good words of advice....! But if you have to stay with what you have...definately use stainless...sorry should have mention that as well.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

This is funny add this up 30000 boat, 3600 worth of trolling rods. And your going to trust the cheapest rod holders on the market. I laugh when I see a 60k Lund on the water and the guy think he is serous when he fishing with Johnson push button reel.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Overdrawn Understand what you are saying. I am a guy that like to do things once and right big investment this boat is and Thorne Thanks for your advice also.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Chimo!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 PM

Overdrawn
Nice advice however you do seem knowledgeable on this topic perhaps a little but knowledgeable none the less. I am new to the world of boating and trolling just picked up my first boat ever Crestliner Super Hawk. So I purchased Scotty because they seem to have worked for a friend of mine on his Tracker boat. I had purchased them and well now stuck with them. I am also in the market to learn for the members on this forum. To which I am doing so. When you almost lost your gear did you not also have Scotty on your boat? Seems like there was a reason you first purchased your Scotty rod holds. Can you explain? Also what kind of rails did you use? Thanks

Note I don’t want to banter back and forth just looking for solutions and advice. The reason I went with Flush mounts because of my travel cover not wanting to tear it.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

I know flush mounts are nice. I once thought the same. I was using Scotty when I lost my rod. I wish it was a almost lol. Now I can laugh. Scotty are backwards. I never new any better when I first bought them. 2 years of fishing made the plastic brittle and it snap where it goes into the mount. My bother went Muskie fishing in Quebec (u can see him catch Canada biggest Muskie ever caught on film on the tv show Outdoor Passion) and the Down East are what they used. I'm not nocking you for having them mine cost me a rod worth more then they were worth. So in my opinion its still cheaper To buy the down easts then trust a scotty's. Buy the rails at Princess auto for 19bucks for 29" rail. Then if you decide to change were you holders are you can tweak them so there exactly were you want them. If you flush mount them they are were they are.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Overdrawn
Thanks for the update..See Pm
Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Sapper, In my opinion, the Scotty flush mounts are as good as any out there. You can certainly mount them as you mentioned, stainless fasteners are a must. Here's another opinion: the best rod holder for trolling is the Scotty Striker. Most West Coast, and Fraser River sturgeon guides use these. Keep in mind, Salmon, Halibut and Sturgeon rarely excede 20lbs and pull as hard as a Pike.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Sapper, In my opinion, the Scotty flush mounts are as good as any out there. You can certainly mount them as you mentioned, stainless fasteners are a must. Here's another opinion: the best rod holder for trolling is the Scotty Striker. Most West Coast, and Fraser River sturgeon guides use these. Keep in mind, Salmon, Halibut and Sturgeon rarely excede 20lbs and pull as hard as a Pike.
You obviously havent seen real rod holders. And all guides that have guided me never use Scotty's. You watch to much TV. Down East Salty's are rated for 80lbs pull. What are Scotty's? What are Scotty's after 2 years of fishing in the Sun? If you think Scotty are the best then I have to say you blind. Look long and hard at them. The answer is right in front of you.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 PM

I stand behind Mark. There is nothing wrong with scottys and there is a ton of people out there that use them. I have ran them on all my boats so far and have not had a problem. I will also be installing 4 more holder bases on my walleye rig when I can come up with the money to finish fixing my motor and outfitting the rig. If there is a fisherman on this planet that I would trust his word it would be Mark. He fishes hard and catches fish. If he says something is a good choice then there is a good chance I will be looking into it more.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
You obviously havent seen real rod holders. And all guides that have guided me never use Scotty's. You watch to much TV. Down East Salty's are rated for 80lbs pull. What are Scotty's? What are Scotty's after 2 years of fishing in the Sun? If you think Scotty are the best then I have to say you blind. Look long and hard at them. The answer is right in front of you.
I pulled myself away from the TV long enough to take a long hard look at one of my strikers and you were right... It's only 13 or 14 years old and it is noticeably faded.......what a piece of crap!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I stand behind Mark. There is nothing wrong with scottys and there is a ton of people out there that use them. I have ran them on all my boats so far and have not had a problem. I will also be installing 4 more holder bases on my walleye rig when I can come up with the money to finish fixing my motor and outfitting the rig. If there is a fisherman on this planet that I would trust his word it would be Mark. He fishes hard and catches fish. If he says something is a good choice then there is a good chance I will be looking into it more.
Really, well whats the cost of a scottys. 30-40 bucks+flush mount. I have 145hrs on the water since May long. I fish hard, really hard, not many people that fish hard than myself. I'm not trying to argue but look at them. You can not say there the best on the market. If your serious in to fishing you would know better. A salty is 50 bucks, a D10 is 29bucks. You read the reviews on Bass Pro web site and speak to people who run them and then make up your mind, look at there web site. So there is no piont of argueing which one is better. Go with what the pro use not what you buy a Wall-Mart that right there should tell you what quality it is.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I pulled myself away from the TV long enough to take a long hard look at one of my strikers and you were right... It's only 13 or 14 years old and it is noticeably faded.......what a piece of crap!
Junk it I even have a pail you can put it in please
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plastic deterates over time. And if there faded there about done. UV rays and Plastic don't mix, argue as much as you want. But how can you argue that scotty are the best. there known to be the worst on the market.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 PM

I will stick to the scotty's and keep the extra coin in my pocket for more fishing trips and still catch some good eyes.

I am sure there is better rod holders out there but I don't think it is necessary in Alberta for them.

Just my opinion but I have never had or seen a problem with them. All products these days seem to be mass produced and will have a flaw here and there. So far they have been solid for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Plastic deterates over time. And if there faded there about done. UV rays and Plastic don't mix, argue as much as you want. But how can you argue that scotty are the best. there known to be the worst on the market.
They're known to be the worst on the market.....What brand of boat did you just buy?

Everybody has an opinion, yours and mine are miles apart.

The guy has a nice boat that is going to be rigged well. Just because it is not how you would do it doesn't make it wrong.

Do me a favor, search for Scotty Strikers and if you can find them cheaper than them things your using let me know..... I should probably buy a couple to replace these old ones.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't Trust Scotty's go with the Down East Salty there are the cats meow.
Amen to that.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 AM

I have the flush mounts and I bought some longer bolts and added another piece of wood under the surface where the downrigger mounts. Any force is then spread out over a greater area. Your biggest worry shouldn't be a fish breaking the rod holder, but getting the balls hung up on some rocks or something as you are trolling along. If the downriggers are not mounted solidly, they can get torn right off the side of the boat if the balls get snagged on some rocks or something.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 AM

145 hrs since may long...wow! I've been lucky to get 40! By the time I even start to think about really fishing the boat and pontoons will be stored cause It's bow hunting time. If i've got time to fish i've got time to hunt.....priorities I guess. I just need more time!!! Lol
Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
They're known to be the worst on the market.....What brand of boat did you just buy?

Everybody has an opinion, yours and mine are miles apart.

The guy has a nice boat that is going to be rigged well. Just because it is not how you would do it doesn't make it wrong.

Do me a favor, search for Scotty Strikers and if you can find them cheaper than them things your using let me know..... I should probably buy a couple to replace these old ones.
What do mean what kind of boat did I just buy. I bought a dam nice boat do you realy want to go there. And as far as saving money there the same price.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matathonman View Post
145 hrs since may long...wow! I've been lucky to get 40! By the time I even start to think about really fishing the boat and pontoons will be stored cause It's bow hunting time. If i've got time to fish i've got time to hunt.....priorities I guess. I just need more time!!! Lol
Probably forgot to tell you I am an avid Archer as hennce my name Overdrawn. You will no what it means if you ar into to archery!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned

Oh ya MarkH your that big guy from Cochrane that tried to rip everyone of on your 9.9. Ya ya 235llbs 6'6" ya i remember you. Got me shakin in my boots. HA HA did you sell your motor yet LOL
Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Probably forgot to tell you I am an avid Archer as hennce my name Overdrawn. You will no what it means if you ar into to archery!

Select a language:
-----------------------

overdrawn
adj overdrawn [əuvəˈdroːn]
having taken more money out of one's account than it had in it His account is overdrawn.
Kernerman
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Well Sapper3, hope you are happy! Just wanted some friendly advise as to mountg a few holders for a bit of fishing....what a kettle of worms you opened with that one!! Should have put up a picture of a 8 inch perch and claimed it was 10' and 900 lbs..good luck on what ever holders you use!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Oh ya MarkH your that big guy from Cochrane that tried to rip everyone of on your 9.9. Ya ya 235llbs 6'6" ya i remember you. Got me shakin in my boots. HA HA did you sell your motor yet LOL
Overdrawn, I bumped the post you mentioned to the top of the Buy & Sell ( Boats & Motors) For you and anyone else to read.....Once again you are so far from the facts it's insane!

Have a nice day.

Mark H (5' 11" in work boots' 180lbs, Lethbridge )