Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpetersen4 View Post
Everyone has been 1/2 Moa with the right ammo but so has any tikka ive owned, I personally like light triggers that’s why I put the trigger springs in or upgrade them in my rifles
Just a difference of opinion, but I don't refer to a trigger that I have to replace parts in before I am happy with it, as fine.

If I use the trigger with the parts it came from the factory, with no mods, and I am happy with it, then I refer to it as a fine trigger.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-23-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Xbolt

That’s why I said the triggers are fine from factory, didn’t say there awesome, each to there own, I like triggers around 1-1/2-2lbs some guys don’t. I’ve shot a lot more expensive rifles with worse triggers in them. I don’t know if hardly any rifles come with factory triggers than can be adjusted to be set as low as I like to shot.

Last edited by Cpetersen4; 12-23-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just a difference of opinion, but I don't refer to a trigger that I have to replace parts in before I am happy with it, as fine.

If I use the trigger with the parts it came from the factory, with no mods, and I am happy with it, then I refer to it as a fine trigger.
He has an opinion, you have a problem.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
He has an opinion, you have a problem.
I have no problem, I just purchase rifles with triggers that I am happy with.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Banned

The op was asking about the good and the bad, both opinions are welcome.

I’ve never owned a browning, chances are good I never will but it’s hard to say for sure.

A friend of mine loved his brownings, that’s all he talked about until that one fateful day he bent the barrel literally like a banana (that’s a really funny story, well at least I was laughing pretty hard), then he had to buy a new rifle. He went looking for a browning gold medallion but fourtunately they were sold out and he figured he would give the Tikka a try. Now he’s sold, said he’s happy the medallion was sold out.

It seems everyone is making a good rifle nowadays, i say find one you like, research it to see if there is any common design flaws and if there are none, pull the trigger
Old 12-23-2018, 10:15 AM

I dont personally own an x bolt, but a friend of mine recently got a hells canyon speed in 7mm rem mag, seems like a nice rifle the only thing I wasn't crazy about was the tiny bolt knob, had it out shooting to get ready for his elk hunt and the shots that hit above center were fired from the x bolt at 600 yards, the group measures just under 1 moa

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I have no problem, I just purchase rifles with triggers that I am happy with.
And to each their own. The other poster you are obsessed with contradicting likes the X-Bolts and says the triggers are fine. This to everyone one on the planet, except you apparently, means that the triggers are like the vast majority of factory triggers, good enough for hunting and some recreational range time.(read they will work fine for most people). He went on to say that for less than the cost of 1/2 a box of premium ammunition you can make the trigger near perfect. This sounds like a good contribution from a member with actual experience with the X-Bolt not someone with a complex insisting that their choice of a Tikka rifle is the only choice that matters.

Here is a funny story for you: When the local UFA was getting out of firearms I went looking for a synthetic beater to save the stock on my custom rifle in foul weather. I had heard so much about Tikka that I was convinced I was going to buy 2, one in a big game caliber and one varmint type. I was even thinking I might grab a lefty for my son. Well they were practically giving them away at over 50% off and I still don't own and will never own a Tikka. In-fact when I compared them to the Savages they were also blowing out, there was little to no difference-mass produced plastic. I asked my son if he wanted one and he replied "No, thank you."

Now here is the funny part. I picked up a left hand X-Bolt and he really likes it. It feels really nice in hand, is MOA accurate and the factory trigger is "fine". I am glad that other poster made that meaningful contribution to this thread as I may pick up one of those springs and make it perfect.

Now if I were going to take the Tikka from fine to perfect it would mean a new stock just like my Finnlight. The Tikka would also need a different action, but I digress. The factory stock on my Finnlight was fine, but it is absolutely awesome with the McMillan Edge. In my hands, the factory plastic stocks on the Tikkas feel like the same quality I find on Daisy BB guns. Now that is just my opinion and knowing how important yours is, I will no doubt stand corrected.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
And to each their own. The other poster you are obsessed with contradicting likes the X-Bolts and says the triggers are fine. This to everyone one on the planet, except you apparently, means that the triggers are like the vast majority of factory triggers, good enough for hunting and some recreational range time.(read they will work fine for most people). He went on to say that for less than the cost of 1/2 a box of premium ammunition you can make the trigger near perfect. This sounds like a good contribution from a member with actual experience with the X-Bolt not someone with a complex insisting that their choice of a Tikka rifle is the only choice that matters.

Here is a funny story for you: When the local UFA was getting out of firearms I went looking for a synthetic beater to save the stock on my custom rifle in foul weather. I had heard so much about Tikka that I was convinced I was going to buy 2, one in a big game caliber and one varmint type. I was even thinking I might grab a lefty for my son. Well they were practically giving them away at over 50% off and I still don't own and will never own a Tikka. In-fact when I compared them to the Savages they were also blowing out, there was little to no difference-mass produced plastic. I asked my son if he wanted one and he replied "No, thank you."

Now here is the funny part. I picked up a left hand X-Bolt and he really likes it. It feels really nice in hand, is MOA accurate and the factory trigger is "fine". I am glad that other poster made that meaningful contribution to this thread as I may pick up one of those springs and make it perfect.

Now if I were going to take the Tikka from fine to perfect it would mean a new stock just like my Finnlight. The Tikka would also need a different action, but I digress. The factory stock on my Finnlight was fine, but it is absolutely awesome with the McMillan Edge. In my hands, the factory plastic stocks on the Tikkas feel like the same quality I find on Daisy BB guns. Now that is just my opinion and knowing how important yours is, I will no doubt stand corrected.
Obviously you are obsessed with contradicting my posts at every opportunity, whether it is about shotguns, hunting dogs or rifles, but the fact is that several posters on this thread posted the same opinion as myself concerning the X bolt triggers. But of course you overlooked that fact, because you were so anxious to contradict my posts. And nowhere did I post that Tikka rifles are perfect, they aren't, no rifle with a plastic stock is even close to perfect, but for a range rifle, I am looking for a rifle with a good trigger, a stock shaped so that it works well when target shooting, and a heavier contour barrel that doesn't heat up quickly. . And it needs to be accurate. The Tikka rifles that I chose, meet those requirements for a reasonable price, as do several other rifles.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-23-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Obviously you are obsessed with contradicting my posts at every opportunity, whether it is about shotguns, hunting dogs or rifles, but the fact is that several posters on this thread posted the same opinion as myself concerning the X bolt triggers. But of course you overlooked that fact, because you were so anxious to contradict my posts. And nowhere did I post that Tikka rifles are perfect, they aren't, no rifle with a plastic stock is even close to perfect, but for a range rifle, I am looking for a rifle with a good trigger, a stock shaped so that it works well when target shooting, and a heavier contour barrel that doesn't heat up quickly. . And it needs to be accurate. The Tikka rifles that I chose, meet those requirements for a reasonable price, as do several other rifles.
Other people voice their opinion as being correct according to their experiences and/or perception. You continuously quote other people and try to prove their opinion wrong. Someone claims to like the X-Bolt and you try to belittle that opinion by explaining why their opinion is invalid. You are under the false impression that creating a loser some how makes you a winner. It does not. If a 25 dollar part corrects the only common complaint that people have with the X-Bolt, do you really think that quoting another member and adding this emoji is an appropriate response?

Now how many people are going to voice a positive opinion on the X-Bolt knowing full well they are going to face the multi quoting, google searching and absolutely relentless contradiction of Elkhunter11? Have you ever owned or even shot an X-Bolt?

I quote you to point this out and because arguing with you passes time. I realize I am not hurting your feelings or vise/versa so there should be no harm nor foul. I want to hear opinions other than yours so I like to wade in when you are attacking other members before you belittle them into silence.

BTW, I very much like your shotguns, love your little dog and enjoy chasing pheasants around the release sites as much as you do. We have a lot more in common than not.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:37 PM

I have mounted scopes on several X-bolts, helped work up loads and sight in some, as well as adjusting triggers as low as they would go for people that owned them, so I speak from actual experience. I have nothing against Browning, I shot Browning shotguns for around 30 years, and I have owned Browning rifles. As I posted, the fit and finish is good, and they have some redeeming features, but their trigger design is a weak point . If other companies can supply triggers that adjust down to 2lbs or less, why doesn't Browning?
Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I have mounted scopes on several X-bolts, helped work up loads and sight in some, as well as adjusting triggers as low as they would go for people that owned them, so I speak from actual experience. I have nothing against Browning, I shot Browning shotguns for around 30 years, and I have owned Browning rifles. As I posted, the fit and finish is good, and they have some redeeming features, but their trigger design is a weak point . If other companies can supply triggers that adjust down to 2lbs or less, why doesn't Browning?
Probably for fear of lawsuits with a trigger advertised as adjustable. I am sure they could put the lighter spring in at no extra cost. Most people shouldn't be using a 2 lb or less trigger and the vast majority would not experience an increase in accuracy over the existing system. After the Remington trigger ordeal, I would error on the side of caution myself.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Banned

Good point. A 2lb trigger isn't something you should be setting up for someone without them having experience with one. Generally, if they have experience with a trigger like this, they wouldn't need a third party to set up anything, they'd do it themselves.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Good point. A 2lb trigger isn't something you should be setting up for someone without them having experience with one. Generally, if they have experience with a trigger like this, they wouldn't need a third party to set up anything, they'd do it themselves.
When I set a trigger for someone else, I usually set it for 2-3/4 to 3 lbs. On average, that is where my Sako/Tikka triggers are from the factory. My Cooper triggers are often 2 to 2-1/2 lbs. Remington ships 40X rifles with a 29 ounce trigger. Anschutz ships rifles at less than that. I was never able to get an X-bolt trigger to 3lbs, most ended up at 3-1/2 lbs or more. If it doesn't slam fire, there is nothing unsafe about a 2 to 3 lb trigger.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:47 PM
Banned

A 3.5 lb trigger is more than adequate on a hunting rifle.
The way it breaks, it's consistency, and it's overall safety is much more important to me than dropping it down so that it's like a target gun.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:59 PM

I had an xbolt the trigger sucked and there was nothing I could do about it at that time which soured me on any rifle not made for shootability at least othe companies came out with the trigger blade thingys that made their cheap guns shootable once you got used to it.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
A 3.5 lb trigger is more than adequate on a hunting rifle.
The way it breaks, it's consistency, and it's overall safety is much more important to me than dropping it down so that it's like a target gun.
If someone told you that they wanted a range rifle, what would you expect his primary use would be for the rifle?
A range rifle is basically used as a target rifle, because that is what you shoot at the range.. If it wasn't for the fact that my range rifle will also be a backup big game rifle, the trigger would be set lower than the 2-1/2 pounds I adjusted it to.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:53 PM

A tikka trigger is 47 times the trigger the x-bolt trigger is on a bad day. That’s tikkas bad day.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
If someone told you that they wanted a range rifle, what would you expect his primary use would be for the rifle?
A range rifle is basically used as a target rifle, because that is what you shoot at the range.. If it wasn't for the fact that my range rifle will also be a backup big game rifle, the trigger would be set lower than the 2-1/2 pounds I adjusted it to.
Are you a gunsmith?
Old 12-23-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Are you a gunsmith?
No I am not, but being a red seal millwright, I am quite used to precision adjustments/fitting, and measuring precision tolerances.A trigger is pretty simple compared to some of the mechanisms that I have worked on.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:12 PM

Default Xbolt review

I have owned 1 Xbolt. It was a very practical hunting rifle. The action was smooth and efficent. I liked the fact that the safety will alow you to eject the cartridge while engaged. The magazine system was well suited for hunting. The synthetic stock was still tactile even in -20 temps. Accuracy was average, more than acceptable for hunting sub 300m. It was not a long range target rifle but it was not designed for that purpose. The trigger was the weakest link in the system. I hated it.

I hope this is helpful. Correct me if I am wrong but you cannot replace the barrels on them and or re-chamber them? This is a deal breaker for me as like actions that you can build off of.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have owned 1 Xbolt. It was a very practical hunting rifle. The action was smooth and efficent. I liked the fact that the safety will alow you to eject the cartridge while engaged. The magazine system was well suited for hunting. The synthetic stock was still tactile even in -20 temps. Accuracy was average, more than acceptable for hunting sub 300m. It was not a long range target rifle but it was not designed for that purpose. The trigger was the weakest link in the system. I hated it.

I hope this is helpful. Correct me if I am wrong but you cannot replace the barrels on them and or re-chamber them? This is a deal breaker for me as like actions that you can build off of.
Just like the A-bolt, you can rebarrel them, but some people find the barrels difficult to remove, so they would rather not take on the job.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:30 PM

Thank you all for chiming in with your feedback and experience. I greatly appreciate it.

Yes, it would definitely be mostly a range gun and it would not see much hunting; I might shoot a deer or an elk with it on a field (i.e. farm land), but I do not do that all that often and this is not what this gun is primarily for.

Trigger was my main concern with this gun. I have shot 3 different Brownings, 2 of which I currently own, and do not like the triggers on any of them. Well, one is a BLR, so I guess it is a given.

Having read every reply, I decided to pass on it for the time being and look at other options. Many disagree, but boy do I like the way it looks, lol.

Given the fact that I do not reload, what would you guys recommend I look at for shooting out to, say, 800 meters? Even a 1,000. What rifle and what caliber? I see Tika being mentioned a lot here.

My only “requirements” are:
1. Even though this gun will not see much hunting, I want it to be a big game legal caliber (in Alberta, of course, lol). No animal will be shot with this gun beyond 500 meters and I am giving myself 100-200 spare here because even on a field I like to get closer and never found it to be a problem so far. Pretty sure every animal I shot so far was within 350 mark and most way closer than that.
2. Since I do not reload, it would be nice if ammunition was “widely” available.
3. I would say about flexible $1,500 would be the limit I want to pay for one at this point (rifle itself, before scope and everything else). If there is something cheaper - great. Not really looking for something fancy, but something accurate and reliable. If it happened to be fancy and good looking, I will take it as well, lol.

Norwest Alta, I will try to give you a shout when I am heading your way. I still have your number. And thanks for the offer, man. I appreciate it!

Pavilion, that’s some great shooting!

And Merry Christmas to you all celebrating!

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:41 PM

You need a 6.5cm running hornady ammo
Nuff said. Get a m700.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:21 AM
Banned

I don't think I've got your number bub. I'd send you a pic of what my hells canyon does. A little more money will get you into a Christensen mesa. Don't have one yet but it's on the list.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Thank you all for chiming in with your feedback and experience. I greatly appreciate it.

Yes, it would definitely be mostly a range gun and it would not see much hunting; I might shoot a deer or an elk with it on a field (i.e. farm land), but I do not do that all that often and this is not what this gun is primarily for.

Trigger was my main concern with this gun. I have shot 3 different Brownings, 2 of which I currently own, and do not like the triggers on any of them. Well, one is a BLR, so I guess it is a given.

Having read every reply, I decided to pass on it for the time being and look at other options. Many disagree, but boy do I like the way it looks, lol.

Given the fact that I do not reload, what would you guys recommend I look at for shooting out to, say, 800 meters? Even a 1,000. What rifle and what caliber? I see Tika being mentioned a lot here.

My only “requirements” are:
1. Even though this gun will not see much hunting, I want it to be a big game legal caliber (in Alberta, of course, lol). No animal will be shot with this gun beyond 500 meters and I am giving myself 100-200 spare here because even on a field I like to get closer and never found it to be a problem so far. Pretty sure every animal I shot so far was within 350 mark and most way closer than that.
2. Since I do not reload, it would be nice if ammunition was “widely” available.
3. I would say about flexible $1,500 would be the limit I want to pay for one at this point (rifle itself, before scope and everything else). If there is something cheaper - great. Not really looking for something fancy, but something accurate and reliable. If it happened to be fancy and good looking, I will take it as well, lol.

Norwest Alta, I will try to give you a shout when I am heading your way. I still have your number. And thanks for the offer, man. I appreciate it!

Pavilion, that’s some great shooting!

And Merry Christmas to you all celebrating!

Thanks.
When I decided to purchase my current range gun, my criteria was somewhat similar, other than I reload. I originally chose the Tikka CTR in 260rem, because I already had dies and cases for the 260rem. However, because the current must have cartridge seems to be the 6.5CM that seems to be the only 6.5 that dealers are stocking. So I went with a CTR in 6.5CM, and even that was difficult to find in Stainless with a 24" barrel. Cabelas currently has their Special Edition CTR on sale with a 24" barrel and set trigger, with the wider , flatter fore end. Other than the silly huge brake, this is an excellent package for a range gun. Was I buying again, I would likely go with that rifle, and have a threaded collar made to replace the brake. I only tried one factory load in my rifle, the 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip load that averaged moa, but there are several factory loads available , that may do closer to the sub 1/2 moa, that my hand loads are producing. I chose Tikka because I have owned three previously, and all were sub 1/2moa for five shots. I also considered Bergara, but I know little about them, so I went with Tikka instead.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

^^^
1500$ and a plastic stock...
There must be better value somewhere.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
^^^
1500$ and a plastic stock...
There must be better value somewhere.
Provide some examples of better value, that have an equivalent trigger, an equivalent reputation for accuracy, and no plastic stock.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

Pick any model 700 with a HS Precision, Factory Laminate or Bell Carlson stock.
Or Model 70 extreme weather or coyote light.

With that tikka you are paying for that brake, which you admitted is a waste.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Pick any model 700 with a HS Precision, Factory Laminate or Bell Carlson stock.
Or Model 70 extreme weather or coyote light.

With that tikka you are paying for that brake, which you admitted is a waste.
While the older model 700s and model 70s had triggers that were quite good if adjusted properly, the new ones are sub standard in comparison. And overall Remington quality control is far from what it used to be. As for paying for a useless brake, at $200 off during the sale, you are essentially getting the useless brake for free.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
While the older model 700s and model 70s had triggers that were quite good if adjusted properly, the new ones are sub standard in comparison. And overall Remington quality control is far from what it used to be. As for paying for a useless brake, at $200 off during the sale, you are essentially getting the useless brake for free.
As a red seal millright, I thought you would have been able to properly adjust a x Mark or moa trigger, as they can be quite good after adjustment.

I would put any Remington heavy barrel target gun up against a tikka, regardless of when it was built.