Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Default Sibbald Meadows Pond Stocking?

Does anyone know when 2nd time of restocking of Sibbald Meadows Pond will be? I know the first time was the May long weekend. I'm speculating that it will be just before the free fishing weekend as they want to encourage new anglers.

I was there on Saturday and barely anyone caught anything from shore. Even a fly fisherman on a float tube didn't have any luck. The population of pond has dropped dramatically compared to the first couple of weeks in June.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM

That pond gets fished out very hard, all sorts of people taking more than they are allowed.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM

That's true that the pond gets fished out pretty quick. The wild Brook trout once in awhile swim into the pond from the out flowing creek which prevents the pond's population from complete depletion, unlike other stocked ponds where once the stocked ones have been caught, there's nothing left. An example is Mount Lorette ponds.

Sibbald is a good place to introduce new anglers to the sport, but I think they should reduce the catch limit from 5 to 3 instead.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM

for me the coolest thing about sibbald is watching that hawk sitting on top of the pine tree then swooping down and hitting the water and flying off with a nice trout in its tallons. i really wish they would bring back the populations of the CO's to do checks on these heavily fished lakes especially the over harvesting of the fish and also the things i keep seeing is the big rocks and barriers are there so people park in the parking spaces provided but yet i keep seeing people in 4x4's offroading around them to have there vehicles right on the shoreline. its such a short walk i personally don't see the point of this. i hope the CO's would have the power and authority to do something about issues like this.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

That is an awesome sight seeing the osprey picking off the trout from the pond. I never noticed anyone taking ATVs around the pond. That's pretty lazy especially when parking is so close to the pond.

I was there on the weekend and my speculation was wrong, the pond has not been restocked yet. There wasn't too many people in the morning but was very windy making it really cold to fish. we managed to get 2 with earthworms.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Was there yesterday, from 12-10. I think I got one bite the whole today. Saw 3 rainbows pulled on earthworms, all well over 30cm. Ranger came by to check licences/barbs etc and said they're restocking next week, didn't give me a specific day. So...look out next weekend!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM

oh it wasn't atv's they took around the lake it was their actual 4x4 suv they drove in. just when you pull in you see just in front of you is that little round about. just off to the left of this round about when you are facing it there is a small line of big bolders then next to that is a small hill and thats where these guys drove in with their 4x4 suv's. you can still see the tire tracks where they sank in a bit trying to get in, right next to the line of bolders and the row of parking parallel to the lake.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip, BGAngler. I don't think I'll be hitting back to Sibbald until the end of month. Hopefully the stocked ones aren't completely taken by then.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenfishdude View Post
Thanks for the tip, BGAngler. I don't think I'll be hitting back to Sibbald until the end of month. Hopefully the stocked ones aren't completely taken by then.
No worries. I left a message this morning with one of the fishery guys so hopefully I'll get some more accurate info. Last time they stocked an average of 27cm and about 2000 fish, so hopefully they're decent size this time too. I'll update if I hear from him. I got skunked pretty bad when I went so it's revenge time! haha.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM

It's getting restocked tomorrow, fish around 26cm or so average. If anyone's coming down tomorrow shoot me a pm, I'll most likely be there the whole day
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM

BGAngler, Do you spin cast or fly fish? If you spin cast, earthworms works pretty well. Use Berkley's power bait called Pink Grapefruit.

If you are fly fishing from shore, use red ice cream cone flies. These imitate red chronomids. Also Prince Nymphs. If you have a float tube, use leech patterns. The leech patterns work really well for the Brook trout that wander into the pond from the creek.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, I usually use power bait or marshmellows and I've caught lots there. Last time was the only time I've never caught anything lol. Tomorrow should be like a shooting gallery..I'm looking forward to the thunderstorm!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM

I took the boy out there a few weeks ago, everyone at the lake got skunked, with exception of the osprey!!! Then it flew around for 20 minutes to show us up.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Yeah that osprey makes everyone look bad.

So I went the other day, got to watch them stock it, pretty cool haha. Glad I got to see it. Action was slow at the beginning, really picked up later in the evening though. Caught a few 13 inchers, it was a lot of fun. Got bored of power bait so switched to a five of diamonds and then a Black Fury. Lures barely hit the water before I was getting hits, it was awesome. Catch one, have 20 fish chasing after it haha.

Should be good for another week before it gets fished out :\
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM

That's good news that they restocked the pond and BGangler that you landed quite a few. The hawk must also had a field day when they restocked it. What species did they restock it; Rainbows or Cutthroats?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Just some FYI. My Wife is a teacher in Cochrane and for a project with F @ W the were raising fish eggs in school. They raise 65 fish I believe they where approx 3inches when released into Sibbald. Good to see that they are starting them young on conservation.

Cheers,