Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Default Sushi...west coast fishing trips

So I have had eaten sockeye, coho and now chinook that I have caught and ate as sashimi. I was unsure of the chinook as their seemed to be a bit too much blood in the meat but as it thawed it seemed to clean up. Still next spring I am going to bleed out each chinook right after catching and see if that helps.

Definitely liked the chinook the most of all of them. Good texture and taste... Reminded me of farmed atlantic for texture...but better flavor.

Anyone try halibut sashimi from the west coast? Can you eat rock fish sashimi?

I have a greenling and small rock cod to eat tonight...but I am going to bbq wih lemon herb pepper meddly.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So I have had eaten sockeye, coho and now chinook that I have caught and ate as sashimi. I was unsure of the chinook as their seemed to be a bit too much blood in the meat but as it thawed it seemed to clean up. Still next spring I am going to bleed out each chinook right after catching and see if that helps.

Definitely liked the chinook the most of all of them. Good texture and taste... Reminded me of farmed atlantic for texture...but better flavor.

Anyone try halibut sashimi from the west coast? Can you eat rock fish sashimi?

I have a greenling and small rock cod to eat tonight...but I am going to bbq wih lemon herb pepper meddly.
Tai Sashimi is Red Snapper and it's fantastic, although I'm not sure if the sushi version of Red Snapper is the same as our Yellow Eye... hmm. Only one way to find out... tell us how it tastes!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Anyone ever tried Pike sashimi? lol
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
sheephunter

White springs make some awesome sushi!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Anyone ever tried Pike sashimi? lol
Pike from that park near hinton have tape worms transferable to humans. William A Switzer if I recall correctly. No pike sushi for me. That being said...a japanese buddy says freshwater fish are not so good. Too many parasites...still bad sushi restaurants cheat and use tilapia often.

As for the rockfish and greenling...they were great on the BBQ with either pepper meddly or cajun spice...just can't bring myself to eat bottom fish sushi.

Snapper at the restaurant is different that the west coast yellow eyes.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I heard that also...I caught a couple in the Spring but had them smoked... I should of kept one for sashimi.

I will also bleed them all...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM

The best sushi and sashimi I've had has been on the boat.

When fishing the salt for a day, I bring the rice, nori, soysauce and wasabi on board.

You can't beat Twitchin' sashimi.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Do you need to freeze the salmon or can you eat it right after you catch it?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Do you need to freeze the salmon or can you eat it right after you catch it?
I always wondered that...

http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/cont...tract/25/3/416

Tells me one thing...never look up parasites before eating supper...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis
Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 PM

I believe some fish are more susceptible to parasites that people need to worry about. I remember once seeing a list of fish that are required to be frozen before they can be sold in restaurants etc because of this, can't remember where that was to know if it was accurate or not though.

I think it comes down to personal opinion and where you get the fish from. If I were to catch it myself, know that the fish looked healthy, clean it properly and chill it right away I would have no problem with eating it raw without freezing. If I am getting it from a market or something and am unsure of the status of the fish would definitely freeze it before hand if sashimi was the plan.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM

We used to eat Halibut sashimi on the boat when I fished them commercially. Froze it first for 24 hrs .. but was the best sashimi I ever had!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:03 AM

We gauged our sashimi on the age of the fish. Salmon don't live very long and I never saw muscle-based worms in them and I worked as a commercial troller for a bit so I processed quite a few. However, salmon would sometimes literally have fistfulls of worms in their guts that we pulled out when gutting.

Rockcod etc. have a very long life cycle and seemed to have quite a few muscle-based worms in the flesh. I've heard freezing did them in but never tried it.

Best sashimi I've had from the coast is Sockeye, fresh, just slicing up the fillet with soya sauce and wasabi for dipping, and Albacore done the same. If you have access to sea urchin, spear a few along the rocks and bust them open for the egg sacs -- super rich (just rinse off the guts). Any First Nation's on the west coast should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you pick up an octopus in a prawn trap, try flash-boiling it for a minute and then slice it thin for sashimi; also very good. Raw prawns are also quite...interesting...but are more like fishy glue than anything.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM

Heading out to catch some Feeder Chinook and Snapper right now and will be enjoying some sushi later in the week at my river camp by the fire....
Might try for Tuna tomorrow...one of my favorites
Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstar View Post
We used to eat Halibut sashimi on the boat when I fished them commercially. Froze it first for 24 hrs .. but was the best sashimi I ever had!!!
Thanks. That is great to know. I have some left in the freezer I am dying to try.

Gotta use up my wasabi...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Heading out to catch some Feeder Chinook and Snapper right now and will be enjoying some sushi later in the week at my river camp by the fire....
Might try for Tuna tomorrow...one of my favorites
I am SOOOOOO jealous you can go for tuna. That is so high on my bucket list to try off Vancouver Island. Just slightly off my list of vacation and spending priorities. Take some video and pics and please post so I can live vicariously.

Cheers
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 858king View Post
We gauged our sashimi on the age of the fish. Salmon don't live very long and I never saw muscle-based worms in them and I worked as a commercial troller for a bit so I processed quite a few. However, salmon would sometimes literally have fistfulls of worms in their guts that we pulled out when gutting.

Rockcod etc. have a very long life cycle and seemed to have quite a few muscle-based worms in the flesh. I've heard freezing did them in but never tried it.

Best sashimi I've had from the coast is Sockeye, fresh, just slicing up the fillet with soya sauce and wasabi for dipping, and Albacore done the same. If you have access to sea urchin, spear a few along the rocks and bust them open for the egg sacs -- super rich (just rinse off the guts). Any First Nation's on the west coast should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you pick up an octopus in a prawn trap, try flash-boiling it for a minute and then slice it thin for sashimi; also very good. Raw prawns are also quite...interesting...but are more like fishy glue than anything.
The studies say all salmon have roundworms...it looks however that the worms hatch...but don't survive too long. So I will keep eating sushi and hope to get a little weight loss as a side benefit.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM

I know alot of people eating Kokes from the Koot raw....but they are heavy drinkers. I think the saki, whiskey and wasabi pickles the bad bugs...lol
Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 PM

For those interested,
The FDA has these recommended guidelines for sashimi:
"Freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours is sufficient to kill parasites."
Link here
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I just broke out my tail quarter from a 25 lb white spring. Sashimi here I come!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
The white spring was awesome...however..probably too much blood.

How many people bleed their salmon and if so how do you do it?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Just cut the gills as soon as I catch them if guests wish, usually don't do it unless asked to however as I've never found a difference in meat quality.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The white spring was awesome...however..probably too much blood.

How many people bleed their salmon and if so how do you do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX682QXKFl4
Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 PM

You all can eat all the sashimi you like
I'll take my salmon steaks Barbequed. Off to cook up some Halibut on the BarB for Thanksgiving. Trying out a spice rub from Ted Reader - brown sugar, lemon pepper, dill, onion, garlic, etc.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM

What's wrong with just cooking the meat and then making the sushi? Sorry I just don't get it.