Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Default great day on the ice, but should I feel guilty?

Im sure we've all had days like that, buddy drives almost 3 hours to fish with you, and sits there all day watching you pull in the fish. Side by side, 4 feet apart, and you know the fish can see both baits , finally asked if he remembered to put a hook on his line. My tipup going off all day, sometimes same time as Im getting a fish in the tent. Poor Bobloblaw finally gets desperate, catches one on my rod in the tent while Im yet again resetting the tip up. Talk him into using one of my jigs, same colour, minnow from the same tub, and still squat for poor Bob. Eventually change tipup holes with him, he finally gets a bite, but as usual, no fish. Finally, as the darkness takes over, he gets a bite, manages to ice the biggest fish of the day, a nice 7 pound or so very fat pike, then right away hooks something that snaps his line like thread. so ended the day, One walleye and the pike for him, 7 of each for myself. cold windy day, nice warm heater in the tent, great day on the ice! First time Ive ever seen the planets reflecting on the ice, and Mars rising behind us as we packed up.
Sorry Sterve I did everything but do a song and dance to get them to take your bait, but somedays it just dont work out. I figure next time it will be the other way around then you can make fun of me

this one I caught with one finger, it tossed the jig at the hole and somehow I managed to hook it with my finger before it dove away.

and the reason I call this Dink point

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
and the reason I call this Dink point
Thank for sharing Wayne....dink point.....I figured you called it that by the way you are holding the fish ....

LC
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Thank for sharing Wayne....dink point.....I figured you called it that by the way you are holding the fish ....

LC
if I squeeze it hard enough I can write my name in the snow too!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM

Wayne, you can lead a man to water but you can' t make him catch fish. Sorry to say that it will eventually happen to youbut i doubt it any time soon unless you are fishing the large one they call Shovel Nose
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM

Default No guilt that is how it goes

We had the same today. Dale was like a runner in and out of the tent all day with hit after hit outside and only a few hits for me. Then late afernoon my inside hole went non stop. Dale could only watch them come in. Smallest was 69cm and biggest was 85cm and several in between and tipped the digital at 10lb 12oz. Funny how you can be sitting 3 ft apart and have a whole different day. Guilty I think not.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Oh Ive seen pictures of fish hes caught, I dont feel guilty at all and I did let him catch the biggest one to help ease the pain

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM

We had the same thing happen today at Gull!!! Believe it or not, Jeff out fished everybody!! The same bait, same rig and set up...I was like WTF!!! This is bull****!! Lol. Saw some huge burbs though!!! Midday even! But no others in the eve.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 PM

Steve is just a gentleman. He likes letting the host catch all the fish. I believe he is more into photography than handling those slippery aquatic things.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
We had the same today. Dale was like a runner in and out of the tent all day with hit after hit outside and only a few hits for me. Then late afernoon my inside hole went non stop. Dale could only watch them come in. Smallest was 69cm and biggest was 85cm and several in between and tipped the digital at 10lb 12oz. Funny how you can be sitting 3 ft apart and have a whole different day. Guilty I think not.
Nice to meet you yesterday Ken....
So it picked up later in the day,almost wish I'd stayed longer....
Caught 6 while I was there tho,just the one nice one and the rest "dinks"
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttCan View Post
We had the same thing happen today at Gull!!! Believe it or not, Jeff out fished everybody!! The same bait, same rig and set up...I was like WTF!!! This is bull****!! Lol. Saw some huge burbs though!!! Midday even! But no others in the eve.
I saw that happen once too with Jeff, still think he peed in my bait bag or something saw a huge burb last Saturday at Gull too just didnt catch any either

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Yes it was just like I mentioned that the clock hit 3 and the bite was on. It was also nice that they were all nice size and the one at almost 11 lbs was a nice way to end the day.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Im sure we've all had days like that, buddy drives almost 3 hours to fish with you, and sits there all day watching you pull in the fish. Side by side, 4 feet apart, and you know the fish can see both baits , finally asked if he remembered to put a hook on his line. My tipup going off all day, sometimes same time as Im getting a fish in the tent. Poor Bobloblaw finally gets desperate, catches one on my rod in the tent while Im yet again resetting the tip up. Talk him into using one of my jigs, same colour, minnow from the same tub, and still squat for poor Bob. Eventually change tipup holes with him, he finally gets a bite, but as usual, no fish. Finally, as the darkness takes over, he gets a bite, manages to ice the biggest fish of the day, a nice 7 pound or so very fat pike, then right away hooks something that snaps his line like thread. so ended the day, One walleye and the pike for him, 7 of each for myself. cold windy day, nice warm heater in the tent, great day on the ice! First time Ive ever seen the planets reflecting on the ice, and Mars rising behind us as we packed up.
Sorry Steve I did everything but do a song and dance to get them to take your bait, but somedays it just dont work out. I figure next time it will be the other way around then you can make fun of me

the reason I call this Dink point
I always like to let my new fishin`buddies outfish me the first few times out; just 'til I'm reasonably certain that they've given up all their primo spots...
'Twas a fun day, anyhoo; I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a day than watching Mr. Christie pull up dink pike & gorgeous, healthy-looking 'eyes!

Plus, now we know that my dink is bigger than Wayne's dink...

Thanks again for the invite, Wayne; any time, my friend!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Spent Sunday with Wayne out on Newell.Slow day today 1 small pike each.Drilled lots of holes today.Wayne is still out there,he's staying till dark
Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Plus, now we know that my dink is bigger than Wayne's dink...
Nothing like a good ole fashion pizzing match eh fellas

LC
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM

managed a 3 pound pike at the second spot on Newell. got my finger bit too. A lot slower day than yesterday but still a great day on the ice.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Congrats on a good weekend Wayne. Was puttering around out there today, here and there, caught three and seemed to lose a bunch today, but dats how it goes somedays. I see lots of shacks getting positioned for next weekend out there.