Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM

A real nice rig for rainbows is a small slip bobber over a #10 hook completely buried in velveeta or dewworm. Make it so you can't see the hook at all. Put a decent size split shot about a foot above the hook and set it up a foot off the bottom.

I've personally found that jigs, spoons, etc. don't work as well as the straight hunk of meat when you're in the middle of those smaller stocked trout. You really want to let them pull that float under before you set the hook too.

When Chain is on you can't keep 2 lines baited. Great spot for kids.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Didn't have any cheese or corn to try. I do believe the lighter line would help. The fish didn't take any old bait as it sank down, they just came darting in and then veered quickly away at the last second. Strange I thought. There of course was no line attached. I also know that free falling bait is a different situation than jigging bait and letting it sit before jigging again.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Just want to say THANKS, for all comments.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

what was the roads like and the parking lot and ice thickness as i want to take my two girls there on thursday....thanks peter
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM

road was good, Longview. Some slippery spots from Nanton. Longview on the way back. Not much snow on ice. everyone drove on. 20" clear hard ice. It was great, just no catch. Lots of fish down the hole though.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

thanks...i will take the velveeta and hopefully they will get some action
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I was at Chain on saterday. SLOW and COLD. Fished for about 3 hours got 1 bite and caught 1 trout. I was using shrimp. It was probably the time of day i find the fishing at chain is real slow in the early afternoon.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

mealworms, mealworms, mealworms,,, did I mention mealworms
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I need some input. Using a 1 1/4" tear drop style jig tipped with a piece of shrimp. Fished in about 16 fow, 6"-10" off bottom, nothing doing. Visible for about 8-9'. Brought it up to change lure, tossed the tiny chunk of shrimp down the whole and watched. At 3' until it disapeared from sight trout were all over it but not hitting it. They would come charging in and turn away at the last second, remember, no hook or line just free falling. Did the same with a gulp earthwork, natural colour, gulp corn, small piece of real garlic, nothing inhaled. When I dropped a jig tipped with any of the above, not a fish to be seen. The same with an untipped jig of various colors, didn't see a fish. Was using 6lb. mono. Any comments/thoughts on this? Was I doing something wrong? Are the fish just spooked from fishing pressure? Thanks. Tried my Big Buddy today. AWESOME!!!!!!
Just got my big buddy too, and tried it yesterday, the box says 3 hours on high, it lastedd 4.5 hours on high with the fan going, in a 6 X 6 clam base camp. Was awesome.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Going out there first thing friday. picked up the velvetta last night. need #10's and 2lb. for leader and we're set. I'll post friday night. Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!!!!