Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM

Default Walleye Draws

Entered the draw for tags at RHR last year, there were (if I recall correctly) around 3000 entries for around 50 tags. Lame.

Should I try my luck at RHR again? Do walleye tags work on a "priority" system based on the number of years a person has entered?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM

How does group draw work? You can only win one tag between everyone?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM

Yes priority system is in place as far as I know. If group gets drawn, each person in the group gets tags.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Yes priority system is in place as far as I know.
Cool.

'Nother question.

Last year I entered hubby and I as a group, but #1 son individually (he couldn't find his WIN card when I entered hubby and I as a group). Can I enter all three of us as group, or singly, this year without affecting priority?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Cool.

'Nother question.

Last year I entered hubby and I as a group, but #1 son individually (he couldn't find his WIN card when I entered hubby and I as a group). Can I enter all three of us as group, or singly, this year without affecting priority?
You can enter all of you as a group. However the group will be treated as the priority of the lowest person.

ie: If you and your hubby were P2 and your son was P1. Your group would be classed as a P1.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
You can enter all of you as a group. However the group will be treated as the priority of the lowest person.

ie: If you and your hubby were P2 and your son was P1. Your group would be classed as a P1.
Most excellent Thank you.

It was the first year for all of us, so our priorities are all the same. I wasn't sure if it was the group that carried the priority, or the individuals within it.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Default wally draws

I talked to an avid hunter and he is almost positive there is no priorty for the fishing tags.....Just hunting tags, dosent make sence if that the case..
Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
I talked to an avid hunter and he is almost positive there is no priorty for the fishing tags.....Just hunting tags, dosent make sence if that the case..
With that in mind, I just read through the itty bitty text here, and found this:

Draw Priority: The WIN is used to identify a draw applicant’s
priority. In the first year (2006), all draw applicants entered the
draws with a 0 priority. A draw applicant’s priority increases when
the draw application is not drawn and will be reset to 0 once their
application has been drawn. Priority will be accumulated, tracked
and used in the draw selection from the initial draw (2006). The
priority for a group application will be based on the individual
applicant whose priority is lowest.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Just put in for Class B for the wife and myself at Garner, Wolf or Pinehurst. Hopefully Garner. It was a complete pleasure last year
Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Nope there is Priority with the fishing draws too.
I have P5 on Class 3 as I have 999ed it every year.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Nope there is Priority with the fishing draws too.
I have P5 on Class 3 as I have 999ed it every year.
Have you been drawn for A or B in that time Rocky? The way I understood it was that as soon as you were drawn in a year all other apps were cancelled. So say I apply for A and B class in Isle and then C in pigeon and I get drawn for B at Isle. I would get priority for A because I was not drawn but C at Pigeon would be a write off as I was drawn for B so my app is cancelled. Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM

I put in for all of us yesterday. Class A and B at Isle and C at Pigeon. Come on Isle been a long time since I could keep an Eye from my home base!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Have you been drawn for A or B in that time Rocky? The way I understood it was that as soon as you were drawn in a year all other apps were cancelled. So say I apply for A and B class in Isle and then C in pigeon and I get drawn for B at Isle. I would get priority for A because I was not drawn but C at Pigeon would be a write off as I was drawn for B so my app is cancelled. Am I doing something wrong here?
Nope. Not doing anything wrong. You are just not eligible to get drawn for Class C tags. Priority will go up though.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
sheephunter

You get a priority point for every draw you put in for but are not successful in.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar 17 View Post
Nope. Not doing anything wrong. You are just not eligible to get drawn for Class C tags. Priority will go up though.
I guess I misunderstood the rules before. Thanks!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Another question

I'll only be putting in for RHR. I didn't 999 anything last year, as it just didn't occur to me to do it. I'd like to use the 999 option this year, and I'd like to use it wisely: planning for 5-6 years down the road, when our little guy is ready for bigger and more lengthy fishing trips. While none of us have a crystal ball, what lakes should I be looking at 999ing?

Just had a brain fart . . . can I get my little guy (2.5 years) a WIN, enter him in the draws, and 999 everything for him so he's gaining priority?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
sheephunter

You only gain priority on the actual draw code, not individual lakes so if you are 999ing, it doesn't matter what lake you apply for.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You only gain priority on the actual draw code, not individual lakes so if you are 999ing, it doesn't matter what lake you apply for.
Awesome. Thank you.

So that would be the 60, 61, or 62. Priority is completely independent of the lake code (which appears to be defined as the "Draw Choice").

By skimming through that painfully small text once again, I found that I can get my little guy a WIN and start building his priority.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Just to add to sheephunter's response. I have only ever applied at Pigeon Lake. The first couple years I drew Class A and 999ed Class B & C (Priority Point Only). Then when Class A was dropped at Pigeon I had priority and drew Class B. I also 999ed Class A & C to build priority. One year I wasn't drawn, but managed to get undersubscribed tags for Class C.
So now that Class B has been canceled I have good priority built up to draw Class C.
Confused yet?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Awesome. Thank you.

So that would be the 60, 61, or 62. Priority is completely independent of the lake code (which appears to be defined as the "Draw Choice").

By skimming through that painfully small text once again, I found that I can get my little guy a WIN and start building his priority.
Yes you are right. Priority relates to the three draw codes. NOT lake choice.
Yup get the young guy a WIN Card and get some priority built up.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 PM

What is 999ing?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
What is 999ing?
Building your priority Without getting drawn for the current Year.(2011)

ei:you can apply for walleye draw this year but if you dont want to get drawn but still want to build your "Prority" so you can get drawn in Future years you MUST 999 your walleye application.

I put in For lake Newell,first time Ever!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
What is 999ing?
Here is how it is explained in the hunting draw booklet.

CAN’T HUNT THIS YEAR BUT STILL WANT TO INCREASE YOUR DRAW PRIORITY? USE ‘999’
 If you do not want to be drawn but you want to increase your draw priority use ‘999’ as your first and only draw choice on your draw application.
 Do not enter a second or third draw choice.
 By using ‘999’ you are indicating that you do not want to be drawn, you are applying only to increase your draw priority.
 Note: the ‘999’ option is not available for the following draws: Goat Draw (35), WMU 438 Trophy Sheep Draw (38) or Bison Draw (39) as no
priority is accumulated in these draws.
Normal draw application restrictions apply regarding eligibility, maximum applications allowed, number of hunters per application, etc. See pages 14
and 15. For example, residents are restricted to applying on only one moose draw. If a resident applies for calf moose and uses ‘999’, this is a valid
moose application and you CANNOT make another calf moose application or apply on a different moose draw.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 AM

If you apply for a class and dont get drawen for it, your priority goes up. If you get drawen for a class your priority goes to the bottom. If you dont apply and not even do a 999 you go to the bottom. Last year my priority whent to 0 on class c but went to 1 on class B and class A stayed at 0 cause I did not apply in that one. I should have did a 999 in class A. I dont know if it costs you $ to do a 999.
This year im going class A and B Isle lake and B for Long lake. My buddy caught 5 eyes at long last weekend at Long while perching. They sure liked his hook. All in the class B size. Its too bad there will probly be only about 50 people drawen for Classes A and B at Isle and Long to. Thats how they are basicly gonna close the lakes and still keep the public happy. Another Gov sceem. Whish they would close Perch for a year or two. Had a class C at pigeon last year that I did not even get one filled. Oh well. Gonna hit Calling all summer and get plenty to eat. I think the draws are open now. Buddy went to Pinehurst last summer and got nothing there, We think they netted it last year big time. The F&W are even quiet about that Lake when asked.

Last edited by Kim473; 03-26-2011 at 06:43 AM.