Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Default Alberta Fisheries Management Test Net Walleye - Video

So I didn't think it would be a big deal to make a short documentary of the Alberta Fisheries Management Test Netting in Alberta. Turns out that I was wrong. They did not want us to video the nets being pulled. They stated pictures were fine, but no video. It is too bad because I thought the biologist shared a lot of good information with us. I tried to repeat what he said in this video. Talking with them really changed my view regarding the whole activity of test netting. They were nice, both boats called us right on over so that they could tell us what they were doing. Sorry I had to blur most of the video to protect their identity. I still think you get a good picture of what is going on and the fish coming out.

I know this testing seems to be a controversial subject, but I think if they were more open to the public and wouldn't try to be so secretive maybe they would be more accepted. Or are they doing something wrong and trying to hide something I'm not aware of??? Tell me what you think.

Here is the Initial video the first morning I noticed the nets out, just cruised around and did a little commentary.

Day #1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3omHobWIg

This is the one you'll probably want to watch though with the fisheries biologist before he told me to not video and another boat pulling a net in.
Really nice guy. Could have made a great video if they were cooperative. I guess they are usually met with hostility.

Here is the results of test netting day #2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnCR9dukpYc

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Suspended User

Thumbs down

I experienced the same attitude with a Fish and Wildlife cop a few years back. I had gotten a call from them that they had to put a cow moose down. Did I want the meat? Off I went. We couldn't get to her because a young bull was guarding her. So I sat and wat he'd the officer drive the bull off with half a dozen rubber slugs. Had great video. However he played the ******* card. Had to delete the video. Too afraid people would see too much I guess.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM

These guys have a tough job and are under scrutiny anytime they seem to do anything that may seem, in any way, controversial to any group of people.

In a way, although they are public servants funded by us, the taxpayers, I do kind of understand their point of view and guarded demeanor.

I doubt very much these guys are doing anything outside of following prescribed protocols that have been determined to be in the best interest of the resource.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 PM

double post.

ooops.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
These guys have a tough job and are under scrutiny anytime they seem to do anything that may seem, in any way, controversial to any group of people.

In a way, although they are public servants funded by us, the taxpayers, I do kind of understand their point of view and guarded demeanor.

I doubt very much these guys are doing anything outside of following prescribed protocols that have been determined to be in the best interest of the resource.
Agree.

and

I would not care to have someone take video of me without my consent either. Its one thing to be invited to take a video and another just to start taking it. You(op) should have asked if it was ok in the first place!

I guess I am criticizing op picture taking. Maybe get my first suspension.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Agree.

and

I would not care to have someone take video of me without my consent either. Its one thing to be invited to take a video and another just to start taking it. You(op) should have asked if it was ok in the first place!

I guess I am criticizing op picture taking. Maybe get my first suspension.
Actually in public areas you do not need consent to video people. Most film makers do not initially get consent. From what I read they film first and will stop if asked to, just as I did. I was not confronting them at all, just a passive observer. They actually called us over to grab onto their boat and chat. We had a nice chat. My camera was in the wide open. I wasn't trying to hide it. Plus I blurred them out as well and as far as I read it is as if they were never in the video if you do this.

I know they are just following protocol and not doing anything illegal. I was not trying to make them look bad. I was just curious to know more information about the process and thought it would be interesting to share.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM

they had a bunch of nets out on North Wabasca the other week as well.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Not sure about the legalities. But would think asking first as a courtesy to others would be appropriate.
In the past I have always been asked first if I mind having video or pics taken(both on the job and off). Some I ok'ed, some I did not. Found that very respectful.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:40 PM

The Fall Walleye Index Netting (FWIN) is controversial as it results in dead fish, often in lakes with limited fisheries or closed fisheries.

Why is it acceptable to kill walleye to simply measure and count them? What if biologists counted deer (insert pheasant, duck, bears, bats, etc.) by killing every one they counted?

Quick answer, they wouldn't be allowed to do so. However, with walleye, biologists have a hard time counting them without killing them....

Could you imagine if the bios decided to gill net bull trout to do population sampling?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Not sure about the legalities. But would think asking first as a courtesy to others would be appropriate.
In the past I have always been asked first if I mind having video or pics taken(both on the job and off). Some I ok'ed, some I did not. Found that very respectful.
Just curious what you do for work that people want to video you? Are you also a fisheries bio?

I agree it would be courteous to ask first, but if they're talking to a camera I just take it as assumed consent. I shut it off as soon as they asked.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

What is wrong with taking fin samples. When I was a member of the Western Walleye Council we used to do this years ago, at Pinehurst, Siebert and Spencer. We would measure the fish and take a small fin sample and put them in an envelope. They used to supply us with bait and a few jugs of gas, we were fishing anyway, and they got some valuable info for very little cost, and no fish mortality.A few years ago when I was involved with the Northern Alberta Walleye Trail and the Fisheries Roundtable I offered to organize volunteers to do this again, but the offer was declined?

No need to kill the fish IMO, unless they are getting some kind of other information, where they need the whole fish?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Just curious what you do for work that people want to video you? Are you also a fisheries bio?

I agree it would be courteous to ask first, but if they're talking to a camera I just take it as assumed consent. I shut it off as soon as they asked.
Im retired, and no not fisheries bio.

bobalong - what Pudelpointer said.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Here's the province's site explaining FWIN

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/F...g/Default.aspx
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Bet there's better methods that dont kill all those fish.
Either way that sickens me, expecally knowing where that is.
Hope they actually know what they're doing.

Tags
fisheries management, test net, walleye