Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2021, 04:56 PM

Thumbs up Waterton Lake Trout from the Yak

Hey all,

I went down to Waterton on the weekend and hit up Upper Waterton Lake from shore and with my kayak. What a gorgeous place! I didn't find a 20 lb Brown.... but I tried!!!

Check it out in the link below if interested!

https://youtu.be/y1dbQbMTKHI

Old 07-12-2021, 05:47 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing the video.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:18 PM

Right on bud. Don't hear much from down that way, good to see there's still some nice ones in there. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:35 PM

Gorgeous fish. Thanks for sharing.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-12-2021, 10:54 PM

Thanks for sharing that I've never been to Waterton but definitely looks like an interesting place to check out.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:43 AM

Thanks guys! I'd definitely recommend checking out the area. Very scenic. When you postcards from AB, it's usually a shot of Waterton it seems. I've hardly explored it but years back I remember getting some Brookies out of one of the nearby Alpine lakes too...

Does anyone know how rare it is to catch a Brown? I only found Lakers.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2021, 12:31 PM

nice looking fish . good on you for letting the bigger one go
Old 07-13-2021, 01:16 PM

Not sure if you've been to Waterton lakes on a windy day......you might want familiarize yourself with that when taking a kayak out there without a life jacket. It gets hairy. Fast.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
nice looking fish . good on you for letting the bigger one go
I agree.

But, should have let the Foul hooked one go as well.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
I agree.

+1
Old 07-14-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Not sure if you've been to Waterton lakes on a windy day......you might want familiarize yourself with that when taking a kayak out there without a life jacket. It gets hairy. Fast.
Life jacket was within arms reach if things took a turn for the worse luckily!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I agree.

Meh, pretty discretionary. I let the one that I caught at the creek go and it wasn't foul hooked. At the end of the day, I was almost done fishing and knew it would be my only fish taken.

Edit: To be clear, I likely wouldn't have taken this fish had I not already released two non-foul hooked fish. Also, intentional foul hooking is of course a no-no, whereas in this case the fish missed the hook in approx. 25 FOW where I could not see the fish.

Last edited by LUNKDAWGEH; 07-14-2021 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-14-2021, 11:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

now you got my gears going...yak fishing is a blast and congrats on the catch too....that one ya kept is what I call a eater all day long

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2021, 12:52 PM

the one in the marina was a cool looking fish for sure. I thought they had banned motorized boats on waterton but it looks like there were lots of them parked in the marina.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:12 PM

I talked to a couple of old timers there years ago. They used to use a live whitefish for bait and wait. According to them 20lb plus lakers were fairly common.

I have caught them up to 15 lb off the cliffs close to where Cameron creek flows in on lures.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
the one in the marina was a cool looking fish for sure. I thought they had banned motorized boats on waterton but it looks like there were lots of them parked in the marina.
So you can use motors again? Anyone know if this is the case.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNKDAWGEH View Post
Meh, pretty discretionary. I let the one that I caught at the creek go and it wasn't foul hooked. At the end of the day, I was almost done fishing and knew it would be my only fish taken.

Edit: To be clear, I likely wouldn't have taken this fish had I not already released two non-foul hooked fish. Also, intentional foul hooking is of course a no-no, whereas in this case the fish missed the hook in approx. 25 FOW where I could not see the fish.
Not sure how it's discretionary, and I'm not sure how its something to be so lackadaisical about. It is not legal to fish by foul hooking. A foul hooked fish is a foul hooked fish, intentional or not. So, it was not a fish that could have been legally kept. Pretty cut and dried.

Kudos for releasing the other two fish. But legally, this one should have been put back. Replacing one foul hooked fish for one that wasn't foul hooked isn't how it works. It doesn't matter if its the end of the day, and you are gonna have to eat hotdogs otherwise.

What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Not sure how it's discretionary, and I'm not sure how its something to be so lackadaisical about. It is not legal to fish by foul hooking. A foul hooked fish is a foul hooked fish, intentional or not. So, it was not a fish that could have been legally kept. Pretty cut and dried.

Kudos for releasing the other two fish. But legally, this one should have been put back. Replacing one foul hooked fish for one that wasn't foul hooked isn't how it works. It doesn't matter if its the end of the day, and you are gonna have to eat hotdogs otherwise.

What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.
This was the only fish I kept. Sorry for keeping this Laker instead of the previous one, next time I will correct my mistake.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I think they banned them in 2017 but now there is a 90 day quarantine rule... Not exactly sure how that works.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I talked to a couple of old timers there years ago. They used to use a live whitefish for bait and wait. According to them 20lb plus lakers were fairly common.

I have caught them up to 15 lb off the cliffs close to where Cameron creek flows in on lures.
Nice.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about? You sound confused
Old 07-15-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Snagging – Attempting to catch a fish using a hook: a) other than to induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in its mouth; or b) by intentionally piercing and hooking a fish in any part of the body other than the mouth.

Op was not snagging he was angling and the fish took a run at his lure and got caught....this happens often while angling and yup if the fish can be legally kept then so be it....

Your all over the map on your posts...he kept and bonked one....

Only thing I can say tomthe op is ahhhhh bigger net

Like I mentioned earlier going to google that area and tak the yak there....thx for sharing

Old 07-15-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Only thing I can say tomthe op is ahhhhh bigger net
Hahaha Yup, why are nets the bane of my existence. I guess I'm going to have to drop real money on one soon lol.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:52 AM

What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.[/QUOTE]

So you're not allowed to fish in places that the limit is 0 and all fishing is C&R??? That's a special thought process.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNKDAWGEH View Post
Hahaha Yup, why are nets the bane of my existence. I guess I'm going to have to drop real money on one soon lol.

Thanks for clarifying.

I found myself when in the yak I don't even use a net, play them to the side and go from there, I use a 30" ice fishing rod if jigging for any species as I like the small rods best for the simple fact I can lay them down beside me. If using my 6' rods for casting or trolling once I get the fish to the side of the boat they go in the rod holder but with the drag set rather loose then I can handle the fish and not worry about the rod etc....I think we all develop what works for us based on our yak make, model etc.....I have learnt some hard yak lessons over the last two years...and still learning...I like that you have your plyers etc attached to a floaty....I will buy a few pool noodle and modify accordingly....see ya never stop learning!

Old 07-15-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
What are you talking about? You sound confused
I'll put it in simpler terms that you can understand...
He snagged a fish, and then kept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Snagging – Attempting to catch a fish using a hook: a) other than to induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in its mouth; or b) by intentionally piercing and hooking a fish in any part of the body other than the mouth.

Op was not snagging he was angling and the fish took a run at his lure and got caught....this happens often while angling and yup if the fish can be legally kept then so be it....

Your all over the map on your posts...he kept and bonked one....
I know it happens all the time. It's still a snagged fish.
Where in Canada is it legal to keep a snagged fish?

The National Parks regs don't specifically state that you aren't allowed to keep an "accidentally" foul hooked fish. They define Foul hooking as: "foul hooking means fishing with a hook or hooks attached to a line manipulated in such a manner as to pierce a fish in any part of its body other than its mouth;" and it states: "16 No person shall fish in park waters by foul hooking."

If you foul hooked a fish, then you must have been fishing by manipulating your line in a manner as to pierce the fish in a part of its body other than its mouth.

Feel free to try explaining to a Park Warden that the fish you hooked in the belly was legal to keep.

Or, you could have some sense of sportsmanship, and let the fish go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post

So you're not allowed to fish in places that the limit is 0 and all fishing is C&R??? That's a special thought process.
I think you should have a read of the National Parks regulations before making a comment bud.
If there is a retention limit on a species, and you have reached that retention limit, your day is over.
For 0 retention limit catch and release is ok.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:27 AM

And again I wonder why people post about their fishing.

You fish legally, you keep one to eat where the limit is 2, you release the bigger one to spawn another day, you're courteous enough to show us your awesome video........... and the fun police hassle you because the one you kept was ACCIDENLTY snagged?? Foul hooked cause it went to hit your bait and missed, this fish was on the bait and missed, it wasn't spawning in a river and getting snagged by a big treble or something, like come on..........

The Elitism and fun police in the fishing community never cease to amaze me.

Nice fish by the way, my 14 year old is saving up his lawn mowing money for his first Yak. But I guess I'll have to make sure I whoop him if he ever keeps one that was accidently foul hooked.....
Old 07-15-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:

The National Parks regs don't specifically state that you aren't allowed to keep an "accidentally" foul hooked fish. They define Foul hooking as: "foul hooking means fishing with a hook or hooks attached to a line manipulated in such a manner as to pierce a fish in any part of its body other than its mouth;" and it states: "16 No person shall fish in park waters by foul hooking."

If you foul hooked a fish, then you must have been fishing by manipulating your line in a manner as to pierce the fish in a part of its body other than its mouth.

Feel free to try explaining to a Park Warden that the fish you hooked in the belly was legal to keep.

I think you should have a read of the National Parks regulations before making a comment bud.
If there is a retention limit on a species, and you have reached that retention limit, your day is over.
Key word for snagging is "intentional". You obviously haven't fished much if you've never had a fish take a swipe at your hook and get hooked somewhere besides it's mouth. Was his hook "manipulated in such a manner as to pierce a fish in any part of its body other than its mouth"? No, he was trying to get the fish to bite the lure.

The retention limits is a moot point anyway, as he didn't keep any other fish.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
And again I wonder why people post about their fishing.

You fish legally, you keep one to eat where the limit is 2, you release the bigger one to spawn another day, you're courteous enough to show us your awesome video........... and the fun police hassle you because the one you kept was ACCIDENLTY snagged?? Foul hooked cause it went to hit your bait and missed, this fish was on the bait and missed, it wasn't spawning in a river and getting snagged by a big treble or something, like come on..........

The Elitism and fun police in the fishing community never cease to amaze me.

Nice fish by the way, my 14 year old is saving up his lawn mowing money for his first Yak. But I guess I'll have to make sure I whoop him if he ever keeps one that was accidently foul hooked.....

X2

Thanks to the OP for posting an awesome video!!

No wonder we hardly see any fishing or hunting pictures/videos on this forum anymore. Too many idiots out there that can’t wait to show everyone how “smart” they are on the regulations and how much “better” they are for only practicing catch and release. Very sad the one complaining doesn’t spend more time fishing/hunting rather than being a keyboard warrior.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:

So based on your interpretation, whether you foul hook a fish intentionally or not is irrelevant. So I'd watch it, sonny. Because the warden may just give you a ticket the next time you reel in a foul-hooked fish, because, as you said, "yOu MuSt HaVe BeEn MaNiPuLaTiNg YoUr LiNe In A mAnNeR...."

Go back to your cave and let the fishermen enjoy their fishing.

Great video, OP. Keep up the great work, and don't let the fun police chase you around. They have a "no pursuit" policy