Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Default wind tip-up?

hey iam just wondering where to pick up a tip-up that i saw when i was out on the lake, it appeared to be made out of a bent piece of black plastic that would jig in the wind.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Something like that would be great. I saw some home-made metal ones like that yesterday . . . they seemed to work pretty well.

I'd be interested in knowing where I could pick up one similar

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I got mine at Fishin Hole for $20. They're called windlass tip ups (I think). They work great. I'm a lazy, hands-off fisherman so it's perfect for me. The wind does all the jiggin while I kick back and relax in my lawn chair.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Here's what I do, just bring the bottom half of your summer fishing pole and real. After you drill the hole pile up the slush and stick your pole in it ( NO JOKES!!! ). then lower your Smelt to where you want it, loosen the drag "all" the way and clip on a medium size bobber half way between the water and the end of your pole. The wind blows the bobber thus shaking the Smelt and when a Pike hits it you see your bobber start to slowly head down to the hole. No extra cash outlay for this set up.

Dodger.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:06 PM

Dodger you are a wise man, cheap but wise
All kidding a side great idea
g
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Here's what I do, just bring the bottom half of your summer fishing pole and real. After you drill the hole pile up the slush and stick your pole in it ( NO JOKES!!! ). then lower your Smelt to where you want it, loosen the drag "all" the way and clip on a medium size bobber half way between the water and the end of your pole. The wind blows the bobber thus shaking the Smelt and when a Pike hits it you see your bobber start to slowly head down to the hole. No extra cash outlay for this set up.

Dodger.
Sounds like a great idea, but (and maybe I am reading this wrong) if you loosen your drag all the way, when u catch a fish wont you want your drag set?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

My dad use to take a piece of cardboard 1" X 1" and cut a slot in it at 2 ends. Then he would set his Smelt and pinch the line into the card board. As it fluttered in the wind it would wiggle the Smelt. When a Pike took his line he would just set his tension and give it a little heave hoe and bring in the Pike. The card board would be wet and just fall off when it got to the pole. Then reset with a new piece of cardboard.

Dodger.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherwoman View Post
Sounds like a great idea, but (and maybe I am reading this wrong) if you loosen your drag all the way, when u catch a fish wont you want your drag set?
just put your finger on the spool to stop the line while you set the hook, then tighten the drag. I just leave my bail open so they can take line and not the rod

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
just put your finger on the spool to stop the line while you set the hook, then tighten the drag. I just leave my bail open so they can take line and not the rod
Gotcha.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM

I open the spool and peel off a couple of feet of line. Then I close it and set the drag exactly where I want it. Slowly reel in till the line goes snug and then give her the Hail Mary and the battle is on. Or if your like Wayne you just sit there staring at your pole wondering " What should I eat for supper tonight ".

Dodger.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I open the spool and peel off a couple of feet of line. Then I close it and set the drag exactly where I want it. Slowly reel in till the line goes snug and then give her the Hail Mary and the battle is on. Or if your like Wayne you just sit there staring at your pole wondering " What should I eat for supper tonight ".

Dodger.
hmmm, got outfished by a girl and you. I think the problem might have been that I WAS hungry, the pike saw me looking down the hole and ran away

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM

You have it wrong there !!! The Pike look up and wonder if they can get that ugly thing down threw the hole for a snack !!
Dodger.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM

I was looking down yesterday, and the water was so clear I was wishing I could go snorkeling. til I felt how cold it was

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usie33 View Post
hey iam just wondering where to pick up a tip-up that i saw when i was out on the lake, it appeared to be made out of a bent piece of black plastic that would jig in the wind.
there are a bunch of old timers that fish around home that use the metal ones that DA mentioned, I believe they use the wide metal strapping thats used for shipping big pipe. make a base for them, then put an eyebolt on top to run the line through, and wrap the line around the base. Next time I see them I will get a couple pics and post them.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM

thanks for all the info, some pics would be awesome i still cannot find anything like it on the internet
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM

http://www.icefish.com/catalog/inven...?fam=110&cat=8
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 AM

Bobber - $0.39
Dodger.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM

I have had some luck with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tip-up 001.JPG (74.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM

The Windlass Tip Up is nice but it hosts one big flaw that I dont like... if it is remotely below freezing or a wind the line freezes and the fish can not run with it. They are made by HT and can also be found at Canadian Tire....

I like the "in the hole" design better, never freezes up and you can forget about it all day...

However, I have caught some BIG rainbows, and walleye with the windlass cause you can use small baits etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfloatin View Post
I have had some luck with this.
thats about the ones they were using. have to hammer some together, I have a bunch of that strap somewhere, probably buried under the snow.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
jrs

These work good. This ones been in the family for around 30 years. I added the reel 3 or so years ago after losing a few 25lb+ pike that snapped the 20 lb dacron. Down south i didn't use it a ton but i've found for burbot this design can't be beat. Don't need a reel either, just wrap the line around the stick and put a bell on the end. A balloon or plastic bag (or large red a white bobber) can also be added if more wind action is needed.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM

This is my cheap home made tip up, but it isn't wind powered. The steel strap one looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC220253.jpg (17.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 PM

I grew up on the method Doger mentioned, with the same reels as in JRS picture. If they are the same type of reel, they are great, as they "Click" when the pike starts pulling line. I don't hear my wife sometimes when she's right beside me, but click one of those reels from 30ft away and in a Lethbridge wind and I'll come a running! I have moved to tip ups in the last 5 years (50lb dacron), but my Dad can not bring himself to use the tip ups I bought him, he will use the "old faithfull" till they fall apart (only got two left out of the 10 or so from when I was a kid)