Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM

Default Easton fmj or Goldtip Pro Hunter

Hey everyone. So i have half a dozen FMJs currently but noticing a few of them bending already. Wondering if you guys think i should buy more of them ( Maybe o have a bad batch) or buy the Goldtip. I will be hunting mostly deer to moose. Shooting 60 pounds and 28.5 length.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:57 AM

why not use carbon express
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 AM

To be honest I don't know much about carbon express. When I did my initial research awhile ago these 2 were the top that was suggested to me from different archery stores.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:05 AM

check out the new line of carbon express they will be really good imo they have used the maxima red design with the blue streak...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqkH...layer_embedded

check it out
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 AM

IMO Goldtips are the toughest arrow out there. Might be worth checking out the Hunter XT which are the same arrow as the Pro Hunter but with .003" straightness instead of .001" which 99.9% of archers wont be able to tell the difference in and the price is much less.

Last edited by Mike_W; 04-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM

I used the Maxima Red all last year and enjoyed shooting them, i have heard nothing but good thing about the Gold Tip as well so im grabbing a 1/2 dozen just for the hell of it.....seems to be the arrow of choice by most of the dedicated bow hunters i know.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Stephen. View Post
Hey everyone. So i have half a dozen FMJs currently but noticing a few of them bending already. Wondering if you guys think i should buy more of them ( Maybe o have a bad batch) or buy the Goldtip. I will be hunting mostly deer to moose. Shooting 60 pounds and 28.5 length.

Thanks.
Gota be careful not to bend them when pulling out of target. Ive had bad luck with the gold tip hunters. They are just cheaply fletched. So far the FMJ's have been great. They wont blow up but they can bend if you miss or torkem (which havent happened yet).
Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
IMO Goldtips are the toughest arrow out there. Might be worth checking out the Hunter XT which are the same arrow as the Pro Hunter but with .003" straightness instead of .001" which 99.9% of archers wont be able to tell the difference in and the price is much less.
They are tuff but the CX's are even more durable...both good choices...
I love my CX Blue Streak's...for a ST arrow like the FMJ ...

The all new PileDriver® Pass Thru Extreme “Small Diameter” Or ST
provides ultimate penetration and knockdown power.

Neil
Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Neil
I will have to disagree just in what I have seen at a few of the tricky Jim Bows 3D shoot's the amount of CX arrows I watched blow up was spectacular.....In some instances no arrow would survive but some I was rather surprised to see the damage.

Can a CX do this? https://www.facebook.com/BowJunky/posts/795542123859371
Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM

that is nice video but I'm not sure how many animals will have a bow press to bend the arrow to break it before it hits them.... j/s
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 AM

The real benefit to Goldtip is the arrow spine doesn't breakdown over time like other brands.

For sure the best Target arrow out there. And have real good offerings on there hunting lines
Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I will have to disagree just in what I have seen at a few of the tricky Jim Bows 3D shoot's the amount of CX arrows I watched blow up was spectacular.....In some instances no arrow would survive but some I was rather surprised to see the damage.

Can a CX do this? https://www.facebook.com/BowJunky/posts/795542123859371
Agreed they will ALL break under certain circumstances...Under normal hunting sceniao situations they will all do their job.

..With our steel Bear "Boo Boo" the CX's were the only survivors...but things change...

Im sure a lot of arrows under the same sceniao would result in same end result...

The camo arrows of some brands are usually strongest...

Neil
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM

I have been using Gold Tip XT Hunters for over a year, I have no complaints.

If the FMJ's are bending I am not too sure why you would buy more, try something new IMO.
CX has some nice arrow and I used to run Mayhem Hunters (I think that was them?) and they were a good arrow but not worth the extra $$

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:25 PM

I have shot both gold tip and Easton arrows. I personally prefer FMJ over any other arrow I have owned.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM

I really like the goldtip line great arrows for a great price. They have a huge selection of components so you can tweak your arrows just the way you want them. You can't say an arrow shaft is bad because of a poor fletching install . We are talking shaft strength and price. Gold tip xt hunters are what I shoot, stop by jimbows they will set you up! I stopped shooting carbon express because I can almost buy 2 dozen gold tips for the price of 1 dozen carbon express. I wasn't a fan of carbon express nocks either.

Last edited by NBFK; 04-07-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
I really like the goldtip line great arrows for a great price. They have a huge selection of components so you can tweak your arrows just the way you want them. You can't say an arrow shaft is bad because of a poor fletching install . We are talking shaft strength and price. Gold tip xt hunters are what I shoot, stop by jimbows they will set you up! I stopped shooting carbon express because I can almost buy 2 dozen gold tips for the price of 1 dozen carbon express. I wasn't a fan of carbon express nocks either.
Im not sure what your deal is nor do i care. If i buy a factory arrow fletched i want the fletching to stay on(i know of 3 guys with same issue) You just talked about nocks im pretty sure that is not shaft strength and price. I used goldtip hunters for years there ok besides the fletching, there cheap. FMJ has been better in everyway for me.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:20 PM

So I ended up buying the Goldtip hunter xt as it just made more sense for our families financial situation. I was shooting both the FMJs and the Goldtips. Here is my question. At 13 yards both arrows shot beside each other in the exact same spot. They were shooting identical and I did 20 plus groupings. Will there be more of a difference at 20 yards? Shouldn't there be a small change even at 13 yards???
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 PM

if you want a great arrow that's hard to order, get Victory. No problems with them ever but nobody around my parts carries them.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
I agree with you there, IMHO the CX nocks are too loose, always have been even before the bulldog collar....some have issues on new strings or heavy center servings...we switch out with Easton Super nocks...they are really tight and work very well...

We have hundreds of the CX nocks if anybody needs spares

Neil
Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 AM

I use Victory arrows love them order thru Hunters Friends no issues getting them at all

Gord
Old 04-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
This. I rock the hunter XT with no issues.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I agree with you there, IMHO the CX nocks are too loose, always have been even before the bulldog collar....some have issues on new strings or heavy center servings...we switch out with Easton Super nocks...they are really tight and work very well...

We have hundreds of the CX nocks if anybody needs spares

Neil
In the late season I always pull my bow back in the stand to make sure everything's good to go. Well on one -25 afternoon I yanked my bow back and boom there goes my arrow bouncing off my tree pegs while my nocks on the string. Well I was like wtf now? So I stuck the nock in my mouth and stuck it back in my arrow and let it freeze. A little hillbilly superglue lol. They had an upgraded nock that was better.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Neil
I tend to get a little suspicious when a company claims an arrow has "more knockdown power", doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
I tend to get a little suspicious when a company claims an arrow has "more knockdown power", doesn't make sense to me.
A lot of the ST [Slim Thin] arrows are heavier and are known for better penetration...hence "more knockdown power", however like any other arrow combo there are a lot of factors pending...

I shoot the CX Maxima Blue streaks...with mid range weight of 8.3 GPI and 66 LB bow...with a sharp fixed head they spud pass thru on tuff Elk...I am not aware of the penetration factor scale on an how far an arrows travels after it passes thru...however Im betting the knowdown power is equal...lol

Neil
Old 04-14-2015, 04:29 PM

FMJ.s are what I currently have the 100% confidence in ..... I have no idea how they would bend ...... HMMMMMM.... I have taken 3 elk .... 2 muley.s and this year a big horn at 55.3 yard....... its tough to beat the consistency in accuracy from arrow to arrow and god they are tough !!!

EH 29
Old 05-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

Goldtip XT's just as good as the Maxima's for half the price!