Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Default $$$$$fine question$$$$$

i know its illegal to have a fire on the ice. but does anyone know what the fine for having one is?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM

I had no idea it was illegal!

Is it in the fishing regs? Can you point me to where this is?

I must have missed it. We've done it since I was a kid. Always had a metal basin or the bottom of a BBQ to keep it in.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I had no idea it was illegal!

Is it in the fishing regs? Can you point me to where this is?

I must have missed it. We've done it since I was a kid. Always had a metal basin or the bottom of a BBQ to keep it in.
yeah I have never really done it but have seen lots of people with fires on ice. They normally had a brick base made then a pail on the top.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 PM

found this on google, yankee law, Canadian law may be same

324.8902 Littering property or water prohibited.

Sec. 8902.
(1) A person shall not knowingly, without the consent of the public authority having supervision of public property dump, deposit, place, throw, or leave, or cause or permit the dumping, depositing, placing, throwing, or leaving of, litter on public or private property or water other than property designated and set aside for such purposes.

and for the people curious how litter is defined.......

“litter” means rubbish, refuse, waste material, garbage, offal, paper, glass, cans, bottles, trash, debris, oil, or other foreign substances of every kind and description.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Last year I talked to different CO's on 4 seperate occasions I even contacted the SRD and I was told there was nothing illegal about having a fire on the ice. I would assume if you had a big shiit show going on out there with lumber full of nails and such you would get dinged but as far as I was told it's O.K.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Have been checked dozens of times while out ice fishing when we have had fires going and I have never been told that it is wrong. People would probably think you were strange if you didn't have a fire on the ice up in our neck of the woods while you were fishing.. Coals and wood floating around in the spring are a pretty natural occurance up north. ..
Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
i know its illegal to have a fire on the ice. but does anyone know what the fine for having one is?
It is not illegal to have a fire on the ice in Alberta. I called SRD on this matter specifically a couple of weeks ago and they said no problem as long as you don't leave too big a mess.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 PM

good to know i was allways told it was illegal.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Always thought it was illegal too, good info fellas...*edit* its funny how some folks can ask a simple question,( because they dont know and are looking for some help...), and get simple answers, seems so easy sometimes, jump in Oko, cant believe your not on MOD Squad tonite.

Last edited by hayseed; 02-22-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM

This is a great post info wise. . .

We were told on Spencer Lake and again on Newell during the last tournament that a fire on the ice can cited as illegal dumping and/or littering. It is certainly not great for the water.

That said, the officer said they don't usually do anything as long as it is under control along with those in charge of it are "in control".

Anyhow, I took the drum out of our old washer and we use that when we are on the ice. I makes it easier to put a rack on top if you want to cook or put a pot of coffee on.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
This is a great post info wise. . .

We were told on Spencer Lake and again on Newell during the last tournament that a fire on the ice can cited as illegal dumping and/or littering. It is certainly not great for the water.

That said, the officer said they don't usually do anything as long as it is under control along with those in charge of it are "in control".

Anyhow, I took the drum out of our old washer and we use that when we are on the ice. I makes it easier to put a rack on top if you want to cook or put a pot of coffee on.

Cheers.
x2. Thats exactly what i did (washer tub )
Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Default portable

So what if ya use a portable fire pit that ya can jsut pick up adn put it in your truck when you leave that way no ashes are left on the ice that way there is nothign left to clean up. adn no mess its all contained i have one thinking about taking it next time i go fishing for a bit of warmth adn such gonna be cold here this week i hear down to -17

Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM

We took the wash tub pit one step further by welding it to an old lawn mower base so we can move it around if the wind changes or if we tweak our location a bit.
Trevor M
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Default lawnmower

Now thats a spankiin idear i got me a old lawn mower too i might jsut do that with my homemade fire pit also that be sweet to move it arond ya great thank for the idear