Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
Where did that article come from? I find it quite amusing that it recomends the use of a boat to find the bass for the best time of the year, that being december through april. You cut and pasted it, so where is the direct link to it? As far as I can tell its a bunk article that may have had some creative editing. It sure wasn't created by a canadian writer as it is telling you to drive sometimes 100's of miles to find that large bass in alberta.

Oops, never mind the link I found it myself. Here's whats posted in the about section from it,

"This is an example of a WordPress page, you could edit this to put information about yourself or your site so readers know where you are coming from. You can create as many pages like this one or sub-pages as you like and manage all of your content inside of WordPress."

There is no link to contact "admin", every link takes you to the Word Press site that is trying to sell you a blogging program. There is no way to contact the author for his sources of information.

Here's a great quote from a credible source, Bob Izumi.

"After fishing the Niagara River for steelhead with Brent and Larry from BoaterExam.com I was off to Calgary, on behalf of Shimano Canada, for the grand opening of Bass Pro Shops’ newest store. There were a ton of people there and I used up a few Sharpies signing autographs. I had the pleasure of sitting beside Bill Dance and I’ll never forget the look on his face when I told him that there were no bass in Alberta. The first thing he did was turn to professional angler Jimmy Houston and say, “Hey Jimmy, there’s no bass in Alberta!” For the rest of the evening, I kept hearing Bill say to people, “Have you ever caught a bass?”

You are passionate about having bass in alberta, and I respect that. What I don't respect is trying to lead ppl on with false information.
I apologize I should have checked it out more. Did not realize it was a press word . Thank you for clearing that up. The only reason I posted it was because I found it interesting that it was a 2010 printing. Again I apologize if I miss lead anyone was not my intention.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned

Perhaps you might consider changing your sig line to something more appropriate and befitting of your bass knowledge and expertise such as "Straight from the horse's arse"

Last edited by grinr; 04-16-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Perhaps you might consider changing your sig line to something more appropriate and befitting of your bass knowledge and expertise such as "Straight from the horse's arse"
Just can't make a post with out vulgarity can you.Definitely shows your immaturity
Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 AM

grinr......... horse trader......... whos tuffer between you two?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
grinr......... horse trader......... whos tuffer between you two?
I think were both hard headed all I can contest to..............

I bet my dad can beat up his dad.............

Last edited by horsetrader; 04-16-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Just can't make a post with out vulgarity can you.Definitely shows your immaturity
And for some reason,you just can't accept that maybe I do in fact know a thing or three about bass,and how they are an invasive predator that will have irreversable,detrimental effects on trout populations once the bucket brigades begin their inevitable,illegal spreading of them throughout Alberta.

Is it really so hard for you to accept the FACTS about smb as an invasive species,or to possibly learn from the mistakes of other provinces that are currently plagued by this spiny scourge and are now in an all out war against further proliferation of bass and the destruction of historical cold water specie's habitat?

FACT-Nova Scotia's Inland Fisheries in the 1940's stocked SMB into FIVE NS lakes.As of 2010,there are now at least 174 identified lakes within 43 distinct watersheds where SMB have been ILLEGALLY introduced.
sorry,I don't have the exact figures for NB but I can assure you it is a very similair scenario,and can name a half dozen watersheds within a 1/2 hour of my home that were good to excellent trout/salmon fisheries when I was a kid and are now completely overun with parr and fry eating SMB....that's just in my relatively short lifetime,which incidentally is 43 years,not 120yrs for the benefit of the comedians.
FACT-in 2008 SMB were discovered in Miramichi Lk,a 220ha lake at the headwaters of the world famous Miramichi river,renowned as the most productive Atlantic salmon river in the world.There is no possible way these bass got their by any other means than ILLEGAL introduction.DFO in co-operation with NBDNR are in the process of spending MILLIONS of dollars in attempt to eradicate SMB from the lake and protect the native trout and salmon of this world class watershed from what everybody uninamously agrees is a very serious threat.Barriers have been erected to attempt to block bass from exiting the lake and getting into the Main SW Miramichi,adult bass are being intensely fished out with gill and fyke nets,and electrofishing is being used to stun,capture and kill the small bass.Most people,including no less than 3 dozen fisheries experts from across North America and in fact the world,unanimously agree that these efforts are futile and it's only a matter of time before bass escape to infest the entire watershed unless action is taken NOW to kill the ntire 220 ha lake with Rotenone,a chemical piscicide that has been used successfully in many other jurisdictions to rid lakes of uninvited guests.Unfortunately,the use of Rotenone has been held up by bureacratic red tape and will likely be a last resort,after the netting/electrofishing efforts fail, as they inevitably will on a lake of this size.The best that salmon anglers in NB and from around the world can hope for is that Rotenone will in fact be used before it's too late and the SMB escape the lake where they will become unstoppable.

SMB in M Lake is no joke and something that myself and tens of thousands of other salmon anglers take very seriously.Not only was this ILLEGAL introduction a crime against nature,but it's a crime against the people of NB,the people of Canada,and IMHO the entire world to selfishly threaten the very survival of Atlantic salmon in a Canadian Heritage river of such prestige and notoriety,especially when Atlantic salmon already face such epic battles to survive on all fronts and so many people work so hard to help ensure their health and survival.Not to mention the devastating effect this will have on the dozens of communities along the banks of the mighty Miramichi where salmon angling is estimated to contribute 20 Million dollars annually to the local economy.

So before the next person votes on this retarded poll,ask yourself is THIS the future you want for Alberta's world class trout fisheries,namely the Bow River and it's many tribs as the most obvious example?Don't just think"hell yeah,it might be fun to catch a bass in AB"....think about how it WILL effect the other fish and natural ecosysytems when un-educated,selfish idiots take it upon themself to spread bass from one watershed to another.
If it weren't so sad it would almost be funny when I read a few posts back how "largemouth bass don't eat 4lb. trout" and bla,bla,bla.....,no MORON,1st of all,we're talking about Smallmouth bass which are quite comfortable in river environments,and secondly,NO MORON,they don't eat 4lb trout,they eat 4 inch trout and prefer the same pools,eddies,and slackwater habitats as do trout fry and salmon parr which become thier main prey,which is how SMB completely take over and wipe out native salmonids,from the bottom up.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
And for some reason,you just can't accept that maybe I do in fact know a thing or three about bass,and how they are an invasive predator that will have irreversable,detrimental effects on trout populations once the bucket brigades begin their inevitable,illegal spreading of them throughout Alberta.

Is it really so hard for you to accept the FACTS about smb as an invasive species,or to possibly learn from the mistakes of other provinces that are currently plagued by this spiny scourge and are now in an all out war against further proliferation of bass and the destruction of historical cold water specie's habitat?

FACT-Nova Scotia's Inland Fisheries in the 1940's stocked SMB into FIVE NS lakes.As of 2010,there are now at least 174 identified lakes within 43 distinct watersheds where SMB have been ILLEGALLY introduced.
sorry,I don't have the exact figures for NB but I can assure you it is a very similair scenario,and can name a half dozen watersheds within a 1/2 hour of my home that were good to excellent trout/salmon fisheries when I was a kid and are now completely overun with parr and fry eating SMB....that's just in my relatively short lifetime,which incidentally is 43 years,not 120yrs for the benefit of the comedians.
FACT-in 2008 SMB were discovered in Miramichi Lk,a 220ha lake at the headwaters of the world famous Miramichi river,renowned as the most productive Atlantic salmon river in the world.There is no possible way these bass got their by any other means than ILLEGAL introduction.DFO in co-operation with NBDNR are in the process of spending MILLIONS of dollars in attempt to eradicate SMB from the lake and protect the native trout and salmon of this world class watershed from what everybody uninamously agrees is a very serious threat.Barriers have been erected to attempt to block bass from exiting the lake and getting into the Main SW Miramichi,adult bass are being intensely fished out with gill and fyke nets,and electrofishing is being used to stun,capture and kill the small bass.Most people,including no less than 3 dozen fisheries experts from across North America and in fact the world,unanimously agree that these efforts are futile and it's only a matter of time before bass escape to infest the entire watershed unless action is taken NOW to kill the ntire 220 ha lake with Rotenone,a chemical piscicide that has been used successfully in many other jurisdictions to rid lakes of uninvited guests.Unfortunately,the use of Rotenone has been held up by bureacratic red tape and will likely be a last resort,after the netting/electrofishing efforts fail, as they inevitably will on a lake of this size.The best that salmon anglers in NB and from around the world can hope for is that Rotenone will in fact be used before it's too late and the SMB escape the lake where they will become unstoppable.

SMB in M Lake is no joke and something that myself and tens of thousands of other salmon anglers take very seriously.Not only was this ILLEGAL introduction a crime against nature,but it's a crime against the people of NB,the people of Canada,and IMHO the entire world to selfishly threaten the very survival of Atlantic salmon in a Canadian Heritage river of such prestige and notoriety,especially when Atlantic salmon already face such epic battles to survive on all fronts and so many people work so hard to help ensure their health and survival.Not to mention the devastating effect this will have on the dozens of communities along the banks of the mighty Miramichi where salmon angling is estimated to contribute 20 Million dollars annually to the local economy.

So before the next person votes on this retarded poll,ask yourself is THIS the future you want for Alberta's world class trout fisheries,namely the Bow River and it's many tribs as the most obvious example?Don't just think"hell yeah,it might be fun to catch a bass in AB"....think about how it WILL effect the other fish and natural ecosysytems when un-educated,selfish idiots take it upon themself to spread bass from one watershed to another.
If it weren't so sad it would almost be funny when I read a few posts back how "largemouth bass don't eat 4lb. trout" and bla,bla,bla.....,no MORON,1st of all,we're talking about Smallmouth bass which are quite comfortable in river environments,and secondly,NO MORON,they don't eat 4lb trout,they eat 4 inch trout and prefer the same pools,eddies,and slackwater habitats as do trout fry and salmon parr which become thier main prey,which is how SMB completely take over and wipe out native salmonids,from the bottom up.
Amen to that; very well stated and reinforced with factual evidence.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:

that my friends is very convincing!!!! sorry horsetrader..... but we have a winner! this should end the debate!(but it probably wont....... sigh.....)
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:

Comparing NB to Alberta is akin to comparing Fiji to Alberta geophysically speaking. We understand your sentiment but obviously you are oblivious to the unique phenomena that Bass have a hard time climatising to Alberta. And, I think the rest of the posters both nay and yay are not worried about our Salmon, but if you want to champion the cause. You go girrl!

And once again, present your info as much as you want (it is good info) but please refrain from using childish insults,, I'm part of the nay side but must now sadly be associated with you. I doubt, when you finally get a job in Ft McMurray that you'll be using such language so flippantly towards those in opposition to you, but give it a whirl, who knows? Anyhoo, it's breakfast and the steelwool and wd-40 isn't going to cook itself.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Gone Hunting

I like bass.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is the same rehash you have said over and over we are in Alberta talking about Albert.As i told you before I'm done with you and N.S and N.B.
You may go back home and sulk now .Bye BYE
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is the same rehash you have said over and over we are in Alberta talking about Albert.As i told you before I'm done with you and N.S and N.B.

....yet somehow you still don't get it?

Yea OK bud,you're the expert.2 million people in NB and NS that have watched SMB destroy countless trout/salmon fisheries,not to mention fisheries biologists from around the world that unanimously agree don't know anything about SMB as an invasive threat....but you know it all.Good for you.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
he supports it with facts and educational reasoning..... much better than " but bass are goods, basses would be fun in alberta" bye bye. c'mon.... admit it.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 AM

Don't want to interfer with your little party but let me make this perfectly clear..BASS are not coming to Alberta. They aren't on SRD's radar ..
Some might thing it would be fine to have a lake or two with Bass but it it not going to happen..period..You will just have to pay the gas and head to BC or elsewhere...
Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Don't want to interfer with your little party but let me make this perfectly clear..BASS are not coming to Alberta. They aren't on SRD's radar ..
Some might thing it would be fine to have a lake or two with Bass but it it not going to happen..period..You will just have to pay the gas and head to BC or elsewhere...
and for good reason!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
he supports it with facts and educational reasoning..... much better than " but bass are goods, basses would be fun in alberta" bye bye. c'mon.... admit it.
If the facts he quoted pertained to Alberta I would possibly agree.But the differences between N.S-N.B and alberta are very different. So will I concede not on your life.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
I agree with you the chance of Bass being stocked in Alberta is very slim
but the thread is would you support bass in Albert and my answer to that was and still is YES
Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
If the facts he quoted pertained to Alberta I would possibly agree.But the differences between N.S-N.B and alberta are very different. So will I concede not on your life.
is that because the bass that wrecked the salmonoid industry out east wouldnt think of that here in alberta? are they a friendly bass strain? do tell...
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
is that because the bass that wrecked the salmonoid industry out east wouldnt think of that here in alberta? are they a friendly bass strain? do tell...
Because of the fact they don't survive o reproduce in Alberta waters they would be a stock and harvest situation don't see any harm to the industry
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Because of the fact they don't survive o reproduce in Alberta waters they would be a stock and harvest situation don't see any harm to the industry
my god man!!!!!!!!!!!!its been stated a zillion times here! ITS NOT FEASABLE! (nor a good idea )
Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
my god man!!!!!!!!!!!!its been stated a zillion times here! ITS NOT FEASABLE! (nor a good idea )
Then you don't have to get so upset then do you.......
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

good post grin. thanks. i'll have to admit i've learned something new reading this and that again is what this forum is all about. putting aside all the facts already mentioned that bass are a species that have a slow growth rate and would not do well in Alberta. the shear "invasive nature" and how well SM thrive in river systems is something that i was not aware of. scary thoughts. i too truly wonder how many conservation minded sportsman that voted "yes" just because, would change their vote after reading the facts you've posted. i know it opened my eyes wider on the topic. thanks again for the useful input.

Dace
Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
good post grin. thanks. i'll have to admit i've learned something new reading this and that again is what this forum is all about. putting aside all the facts already mentioned that bass are a species that have a slow growth rate and would not do well in Alberta. the shear "invasive nature" and how well SM thrive in river systems is something that i was not aware of. scary thoughts. i too truly wonder how many conservation minded sportsman that voted "yes" just because, would change their vote after reading the facts you've posted. i know it opened my eyes wider on the topic. thanks again for the useful input.

Dace
yes dace..... i wonder also how many people voted yes because they thought it would be neat.......
Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Aren't there some kinder, gentler bass that we could introduce? You know the kind that won't fight with the trout?

If not SMB what about stripers? They are a riot to catch and I don't think they eat trout. Or Rock bass, those buggers are pound for pound the fightenest bass around. and they get along with everyone. I think there were Rock Bass in Pigeon at one time but I think they were netted out.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Aren't there some kinder, gentler bass that we could introduce? You know the kind that won't fight with the trout?

If not SMB what about stripers? They are a riot to catch and I don't think they eat trout. Or Rock bass, those buggers are pound for pound the fightenest bass around. and they get along with everyone. I think there were Rock Bass in Pigeon at one time but I think they were netted out.
Stripers are in fact another serious threat to trout and salmon,perhaps even more so given that they grow to an enormous size(60-70lbs and more) and can fit much larger prey fish into their predatory mouths,especially anadromous strains of east-coast salmonids that now have to run a gauntlet of stripers through the estuaries en-route to the open ocean.While stripers are in fact native to the east coast,recently there is alot of concern in regards to their impact on salmon smolts in Miramichi Bay,as well as countless other Atlantic Canada estuaries where stripers have made a huge recovery thanks to stocking efforts along the eastern USA seaboard.So in short,no,stripers are not at all "trout friendly",they will eat anything that they can fit their giant mouths around,including salmon smolts and sea run trout up to 3-4 pounds?Stripers are naturally a sea-run species that have been successfully introduced to a select few huge,inland,landlocked watersheds in the southern USA....Lake Meade for example.Only the largest of lakes in Alberta would even be able to support a viable striper population assuming that the neccesary forage base also exists and the first logical question would have to be at what cost to the native species already present?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 PM

this thread has run its course ... thread closed.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
this thread has run its course ... thread closed.
I agree.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree.
Sure thread can close as for as i'm concerned I was expecting a 70-30 vote against a 60-40 would have been awesome. A 50 -50 vote shows there are a lot of open minded people on this site.I'm very impressed and very happy.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Now for the next poll - stocking salmon in the bow river.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Now for the next poll - stocking salmon in the bow river.
Don't know nothing about salmon.....But according to some I don't know anything about Bass either...........

It was a entertaining thread Kokanee thanks..