Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Besides: We wouldn't have copper wire if two Scotsmen hadn't got into a tug of war over a penny: now would we?
LOL Good one! I never heard that one before!

And a hearty welcome to you BeeGuy.
Oh, and by the way, I do agree with most if not all of your OP.
It is a good topic, and a good OP.
Well done!

Poaching is scourge that must be eliminated, and I agree that confrontation is not the way to do that.
The way I see it, law enforcement officers be they Police, Game Wardens or Forest Wardens, are hired on our behalf to do that job. They have the training and the resources, I don't. Yet it is in my best interests to do what I can to assist or at least, not hinder their efforts. After all, they do work us, and I am part of us.

If I don't agree with what they do or how they do it, it seems to me that the thing to do is for me to get politically involved. Making life hard for them or simply sitting and complaining does me no good, and it sure doesn't help solve the problem. (If indeed there is one.)

As to racist remarks. They do exist, on this site.
My way of dealing with such remarks is to address the intended target with the utmost respect. I figure that doing so makes it clear I do not support such language or attitudes without my being drawn into a foolish debate about who said what.
You see, many racists are really just bullies that use words. And all bullies love to argue, but they get very nervous when no one supports them because all bullies are also cowards.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say with your comments about a persons past sins. Shooting a Sparrow ext.
I do hope you didn't mean that one should not say anything if they had a less then perfect past.

If however, you were saying that one should consider their own past and not act too high and mighty, yet still should take appropriate action, then I agree wholeheartedly. In fact I would say that is very very good advice. For those who would accept it.

Never mind that shooting a House Sparrow is legal, I got your point well enough. And you are right, at least in my case, I have done some things that were not legal. Speeding for one. Yeah I know that's not a game law, but broken laws are like weeds, where one is many others will soon grow.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 AM

About racism , lets talk about it . I think the people who place barriers over tolerable statements are creating racism out of potentially nothing.

to put things in perspective, i have a strong polish bloodline, and i know for a fact pols can be brutal on poaching the same way. Last year some guy was caught a second time on simcoe out of season with 25 smallies in his VAN.

It doesnt take a rocket appliance to notice when its happening , MNR has to get on them harder because it will just get out of control at some point ...

Not all shore fishing is poaching but a lot of it is and immediately evident.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
It doesnt take a rocket appliance to notice when its happening...
Thanks for your contribution to this, now, useless thread Ricky...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
It doesnt take a rocket appliance to notice when its happening
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Man, I coulda been fishing...........

But In stead I thought I'd read this thread.

What can I say girls..........

Hell, I am going fishing.

Food for thought though, canadian gov stats indicate that "whites", will be a minority in canada sometime in 2014.

I'm an alberta born and raised redneckish kinda guy, the redneckish thing applied by left wing liberal foreign nationalists, so if I stand up for the rights I have left in this country, don't get in my way..................

I have raised my kids right to the point that when I catch a good eating jack out of nice cold water, that only measures 62.5 cm, I gotta throw the damn thing back, so, don't let me catch ya poaching or I will go ballistic on ya..............nough said
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinuseo View Post
But In stead I thought I'd read this thread.

What can I say girls..........

Hell, I am going fishing.

Food for thought though, canadian gov stats indicate that "whites", will be a minority in canada sometime in 2014.

I'm an alberta born and raised redneckish kinda guy, the redneckish thing applied by left wing liberal foreign nationalists, so if I stand up for the rights I have left in this country, don't get in my way..................

I have raised my kids right to the point that when I catch a good eating jack out of nice cold water, that only measures 62.5 cm, I gotta throw the damn thing back, so, don't let me catch ya poaching or I will go ballistic on ya..............nough said
I think the problem is that to many people are common sense challenged.

NO one should condone descrimination of any kind whether that be sex, age, color, orientation or what have you.

I believe outdoorsmen are a great class of people and the majority are respectful of others. A small portion of the population will always be morally challenged. Some present themselves or post information in a way that questions their morals and ethics.

I have personally caught guys of all races and age and both men and women poaching. Stupidity is stupidity and our job is to protect the resource by reporting infractions of these stupid individuals...just like if we see discrimination on this board it should not be tolerated and the poster should be banned.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and realize that if someone sees a poacher and reports it that they need to give a description. Don't assume intent to brand any person of a certain demographic as worse than another...nor don't brand the honest poster with a label of racism for posting a detailed description. Sometimes political correctness goes too far.

IMHO
Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

I'm going to hijack this thread....

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted,
destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).

Why is burbot the exception?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0wn View Post
I'm going to hijack this thread....

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted,
destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).

Why is burbot the exception?
Where does it say that?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Where does it say that?
burbot is not considered "game fish" i do not believe. ill look it up and get back to you in 10 min
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

dont have time to look for the exact answer but i did think this was cool when i was looking it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbot

finland sells burbot roe as caviar........ also one of our AO members is mentioned in the wikipedia article with his record. thats cool. someone can take over for me and find the answer source but im 90% sure its because its not considered a "game fish" its "catch and kill" all burbot in utah
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

You are correct. Very odd. Never noticed it. It is a bad regulation.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I think everyone needs to take a step back and realize that if someone sees a poacher and reports it that they need to give a description. Don't assume intent to brand any person of a certain demographic as worse than another...nor don't brand the honest poster with a label of racism for posting a detailed description. Sometimes political correctness goes too far.
Great post. Some people need a good swift "boot" in the as*
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Great post. Some people need a good swift "boot" in the as*
i saw a french guy poaching once
Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i saw a french guy poaching once
Keep telling you I'M not french just my père is....lol
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You are correct. Very odd. Never noticed it. It is a bad regulation.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).
If it was true that Burbot was not a game fish, it would come under the section here of "Non-game fish - no restriction on the numbers kept", but it doesn't. It clearly states that there's a province wide limit of 10 burbot.

I find it odd none of you knew this! There was a thread over the winter about those hundreds of burbs someone found on the ice, and they couldn't understand why there was no restriction on wasting burbot.

I can't find the thread now, but I think the consensus was that Burbot is/was viewed as a nuisance/pst fish.

Last edited by Photoplex; 05-31-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
If it was true that Burbot was not a game fish, it would come under the section here of "Non-game fish - no restriction on the numbers kept", but it doesn't. It clearly states that there's a province wide limit of 10 burbot.

I find it odd none of you knew this! There was a thread over the winter about those hundreds of burbs someone found on the ice, and they couldn't understand why there was no restriction on wasting burbot.

I can't find the thread now, but I think the consensus was that Burbot is/was viewed as a nuisance/pst fish.
so technically im only allowed to throw 10 burbs in the bushes every trip?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
so technically im only allowed to throw 10 burbs in the bushes every trip?
I was going to say this: "it looks like you can throw as many as you like into the bushes, but you can only keep 10 in your minivan, or at home" but the more I look at it, the less sense it makes...

Confused
Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I was going to say this: "it looks like you can throw as many as you like into the bushes, but you can only keep 10 in your minivan, or at home" but the more I look at it, the less sense it makes...

Confused
what if i have 200 in the biege mini van.....but when the CO shows up...i say im thowing them out when i get home, cuz i dont litter?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:

Confused
It's definitely a grey area and a waste of a very good tasting fish.

And Chubb has 11 in his beige mini van
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
It's definitely a grey area and a waste of a very good tasting fish.

And Chubb has 11 in his beige mini van
but 2 are in the ashtray.....which means im wasting them and doesnt count as my limit
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
but 2 are in the ashtray.....which means im wasting them and doesnt count as my limit
Thought you were smoking those two
Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Thought you were smoking those two
shut up...sweat pants
Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Lol I love burbot theyre delish
Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
shut up...sweat pants
hahahahahaha
Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

im not arguing with you and i remember the thread as well but perch are also a nuisance fish. they are considered game fish. "I find it odd that you didnt know this!" any fish that threatens the balance of the ecosystem is a nuisance fish. your post carried no valid point. in regards to it being a non-game fish- no restrictions....... maybe the province recognizes a desire for this non-game fish and there for imparted a catch limit on a non-game fish so everyone can catch them or possible so people cannot retain enough of them to turn around and sell the meat without a licence.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:21 PM

So once I keep 10 burbot, does that mean I have to waste one as I keep another one or can I waste 5 right away - it's a pain in the ace to waste them one at a time - that's why I ask. I really need to know as I HATE poaching and poachers - but I do love to waste fish whenever I get the chance...especially native fish!

Last edited by TyreeUM; 05-31-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Banned

Quote:
what if i have 200 in the biege mini van.....but when the CO shows up...i say im thowing them out when i get home, cuz i dont litter?
this is funny. I told my girlfriend about the drama that played out on here regarding this beige sienna and I got a mocking text from her this morning that said:

"OMG! I just saw an asian driving a beige sienna..... want me to follow him?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
im not arguing with you and i remember the thread as well but perch are also a nuisance fish. they are considered game fish. "I find it odd that you didnt know this!" any fish that threatens the balance of the ecosystem is a nuisance fish. your post carried no valid point. in regards to it being a non-game fish- no restrictions....... maybe the province recognizes a desire for this fish and there for imparted a catch limit on a non-game fish so everyone can catch them. people eat smelts. by your logic, how can that be if smelts are not a game fish???????
Cuz smelt are oceanfare? Lol different rules maybe btw theyre yum yum i know why pike like em.... btw i have no idea if theyre considered anything just buggin braun
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
so am I allowed to waste 10 burbot per day or per hour? Also, once I keep 10, does that mean I have to waste one as I keep another one or can I waste 5 right away - it's a pain in the ace to waste them one at a time - that's why I ask. I really need to know as I HATE poaching and poachers - but I do love to waste fish whenever I get the chance...especially native fish!
Get rid of them pesky native fish to make room for bass!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Cuz smelt are oceanfare? Lol different rules maybe btw theyre yum yum i know why pike like em.... btw i have no idea if theyre considered anything just buggin braun

ha thanks. i couldnt eat a smelt. girlfriends mom loves them. I just couldnt do it. it is stinky bait to me and nothing more