Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Costs of getting into bowhunting

I would like to get into bowhunting but don't want to break the bank.

How much do you think it would cost for me to start out, I would be willing to get a used bow ( my cusin might even have one I can use)

I do have a large yard that I can practice shooting.

I am not big into hunting yet either, would it be better just to get a decent bow and target practice for A year or two first?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM

I bought a used bow last year from a member on here and paid $300 for all the fixens. (sight, rest, release, case, quiver and even a few arrows and broadheads)
But I've since upgraded a few thing.
You can get into it with a little higher end stuff for around $500 I'd say.
But practice like crazy is all I can say.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
I bought a used bow last year from a member on here and paid $300 for all the fixens. (sight, rest, release, case, quiver and even a few arrows and broadheads)
But I've since upgraded a few thing.
You can get into it with a little higher end stuff for around $500 I'd say.
But practice like crazy is all I can say.
You can pay as much or as little as you want. But it is all in the practice.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Yes practice, practice, practice you cant have to much when it comes to bow hunting
Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Default PSE Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
I would like to get into bowhunting but don't want to break the bank.

How much do you think it would cost for me to start out, I would be willing to get a used bow ( my cusin might even have one I can use)

I do have a large yard that I can practice shooting.

I am not big into hunting yet either, would it be better just to get a decent bow and target practice for A year or two first?

Thanks.
Comstar, The PSE Stinger is the best value going and I'm sure you would enjoy it. Its about $450.00ish... if you're in Calgary the guys at Jim-Bows Archery will set you up and give you tons of shooting tips to get you going.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM

nice thing about the bow...is you don't have to be a hunter to enjoy it. Lot's of peeps out there just shooting targets and 3D.....for practice and for fun. So don't just look at buying a bow for hunting. Think about the fun you can have with it for years, be it hunting, target, or 3D.
BTW x2 on the Stinger.

cheers
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 PM

450$ seems a bit much, I my mind I would rather buy another rifle or use it on ammo.

What would be the cheapest bow I could get, say just for target practice.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

First off, if your large yard is in the city, best not shoot your bow. Too easy to have a rouge arrow----- extremely dangerous and illegal. Like was said, you can spend from $100-$2500 on a set up depending on what your plans are. If you just want to plink around maybe a recurve would be what your looking for. If its a compound your looking for, and you only want to spend $200-$300 you'll probably get your best deal on a used bow. It'll be hard to get set up with a decent bow set up, release, and arrows for under $400 if your going new. Best thing is to go to a pro shop where you can try the equipment out to give you a better feel for what you like. Bows are a very personal preference, one guy will love a certain bow, while another guy will hate it. I haven't liked a bow Mathews has made in the last 4-5 years, but some guys love em'.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
First off, if your large yard is in the city, best not shoot your bow. Too easy to have a rouge arrow----- extremely dangerous and illegal. Like was said, you can spend from $100-$2500 on a set up depending on what your plans are. If you just want to plink around maybe a recurve would be what your looking for. If its a compound your looking for, and you only want to spend $200-$300 you'll probably get your best deal on a used bow. It'll be hard to get set up with a decent bow set up, release, and arrows for under $400 if your going new. Best thing is to go to a pro shop where you can try the equipment out to give you a better feel for what you like. Bows are a very personal preference, one guy will love a certain bow, while another guy will hate it. I haven't liked a bow Mathews has made in the last 4-5 years, but some guys love em'.
Ok, I live in a hamlet right next to family so I have two large yards right next to each other with no divider, It should be enough with a good back stop to shoot into. I wouldn't mind getting a recurve bow either, I guess I'll have to ask around and look at gun shops.

With that in mind what kind of pull should the bow have? 30lbs? 40lbs?
If I got accurate enough I think it would be cool to try for gophers with it, is that humane to do?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM

I would go to a shop like Jimbows and get some advice and try some bows out, they have used bows there and long bows .Also if your looking for better answers go to a place that specializes in archery not a gun shop that sells you stuff and half of them dont even know how to set the thing up,my buddy bought one at Bass and then Jimbows had to reset it up for him and I told him he should of went there from the beginning.Plus they can get you started in the right direction so you dont get bad habits. Good luck
Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up

I know when I first started getting into archery the crew at Jim Bows Archery helped me out huge and made it so much fun to get into this sport. If you have a chance stop by Jim Bows great crew down there.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM

$1000
bow - $300-600
arrows $100/doz
broadheads $100/ .. need some practice ones
release $50
target $50-150
range finder $200

That's assuming you have the rest: camo, boots, scent elimination, treestands, etc
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Default ..

P.S.E Stinger 3G combo is $420 great bow for the money, if your really tight for cash the Rally is $400. arrows you can usually get some cheapies in the $40 per half dozen and a release can be as low as $50. If you look at the right places you can get set up into a bow brand new for around $500

When it comes to weight you probably wanna pull 50 lbs or more. Legal weight is 40 but i personally will never hunt less weight then 50....
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
$1000
bow - $300-600
arrows $100/doz
broadheads $100/ .. need some practice ones
release $50
target $50-150
range finder $200

That's assuming you have the rest: camo, boots, scent elimination, treestands, etc
X2

Hunting ain't cheap. I bought a used bow here for $200, after the upgrades
and the above said, I spent about to $800 - $900.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Recurve

If you are considering a recurve I just bought the Sage Samick 45#, a dozen arrows, 12 field tips and 3 broadheads, all new for $345. Great 3 piece bow but will require a lot of practice. Big difference between these and the technology that goes into a compound but I have to admit, I have a lot more fun with a recurve IMO. Either way, the bow is the cheap part and the list is long! If you want cheap meat, can't beat Safeway!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
Ok, I live in a hamlet right next to family so I have two large yards right next to each other with no divider, It should be enough with a good back stop to shoot into. I wouldn't mind getting a recurve bow either, I guess I'll have to ask around and look at gun shops.

With that in mind what kind of pull should the bow have? 30lbs? 40lbs?
If I got accurate enough I think it would be cool to try for gophers with it, is that humane to do?
Nothing wrong with a 40 lb bow it would be a good way to perfect your stance without pulling the extra weight.
oh yeah gophers are good as if you can take out gophers at 20-30 yards then deer hunting is no problem. Only always remember to ask what is behind the gopher because a skipped arrow will go a long way.