Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 11:10 PM

Default RV insurance after a claim

I got caught in a hail storm a couple of years ago with my tent trailer. The roof metal got dinged (no holes), soft exterior trim broken and the awning needed to be replaced.

I had it assessed and they called it a write off. I settled and kept it with a regular title, not a salvage title. I was able to fix it with the exception of the dents on the roof tin for less than the insurance payout, but I still have real money in it.

I would like to insure it but the original insurer will not and I checked with Blue Circle with the same result. It would cost me $8K plus to replace it with its contents if stolen from the storage lot. Is there a way to ensure a trailer in this scenario?

MRM
Old 06-02-2018, 11:12 AM

The only thing that you won't be able to claim in the future is hail from what I have been told. They know you took a pay out and left the hail. Until you prove to them the hail damage is gone, no hail coverage. All other coverage should be same as before. If your only dealing with a broker, call your Insurance company and get the answer from them.

I have done a ton of hail claims where owners keep the trailer. This is what the adjusters told me. Seen it with vehicles too. You waive future hail claims.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM

Not quite.
For instance, now your hail damaged trailer is reduced value, and if you happen to get into an accident (or any other non-hail related claim), u will only get repairs at the reduced value. For example, if u hit a tree with your hail damaged trailer, the insurance company will only pay a reduced amount for the hail damaged part.