Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Default Feral Pigs??

Are there any of them Feral Pigs running around that need to be turned into bacon?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM

lol
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Default Would be Easier to Steal Military Secrets

The most you'll get is that there are wild boar in Alberta. The most likely spot is to the north west of Calgary
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter 55 View Post
The most you'll get is that there are wild boar in Alberta. The most likely spot is to the north west of Calgary
X2

Would be easier to find Jimmy Hoffas body...... LOL
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Sure...let me draw you a map....not

Buds you might as well ask folks for their banking info... people guard that info closer than their money.

I'd love to have at some to but it looks like it's a paid hunt, who you know or chithouse luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM

It's really funny how closely guarded this info is. We're talking about a pest that destroys agricultural land at an amazing rate, but I guess being delicious kinda makes up for it
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM

I heard there was a few out west of Water Valley and Sundre i was thinking of having a look and talk to a few land owners out that way
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM

think their around mayerthorpe arent they?thats what i heard anyhow
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM

When I shot mine I was forced to stare into this strange pen that flashed an amazing light.....I forgot where I was and what had happened.

LC
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
When I shot mine I was forced to stare into this strange pen that flashed an amazing light.....I forgot where I was and what had happened.

LC
Yours was guided wasn't it?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Yours was guided wasn't it?
Nope....well if you count that my buddy knew where they were ....but not officially or $$$ guiding.

LC
Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nope....well if you count that my buddy knew where they were ....but not officially or $$$ guiding.

LC
Ahhh...couldn't remember.

I have seen exactly three boar.

One large tusker strolling through a stubble field near Camrose about 15 years ago and one weiner pig that went by me at mach chicken in a pasture near Wainwright a couple years ago and another tusker in the ditch one night just outside of Viking.

I guess there is an outfit north of here that offers boar hunts but...I prefer to just leave it to my own luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Feral hogs

Not sure how far you are willing to travel but other than a few "herds" in AB, they are having a real problem in the Moose Mountains, in SK. Last I heard they were even paying for your shells just to try to control them. They were ripping up the 2 golf courses there and being very destructive. However, in saying that I haven't heard anything this year! Perhaps others have?
Good Luck
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM

No problem, only a matter of time before I find some. I've seen some Texan hunts and those pigs are pretty nasty critters. They also mess up the land pretty good... rooting up big patches of grass and making big holes. I'm sure farmers wouldn't like them very much if they have cattle.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Yup west and south of mayerthorpe has a pretty healthy population. I heard a few years back numbers in the 10thou range, but that is all he said she said
Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 AM

My uncle told me there were some in the valleyview area.
But he talks alot of crap, so who knows!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned

Lac Ste Anne County.......that doesn't narrow it down much but that's where they are.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

Seen a couple in Red Deer County last week. My son lives near there, and waiting for him to get permission.

And it was feral; there are no wild pigs in Alberta.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
I heard there was a few out west of Water Valley and Sundre i was thinking of having a look and talk to a few land owners out that way
Wouldn't waste my time. Maybe a hold out or two, but those have been eradicated. County hasn't had any complaints for over a year.

Grizz
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Yup west and south of mayerthorpe has a pretty healthy population. I heard a few years back numbers in the 10thou range, but that is all he said she said
10,000 ? That seems a little far fetched......
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
It's really funny how closely guarded this info is. We're talking about a pest that destroys agricultural land at an amazing rate, but I guess being delicious kinda makes up for it
I have yet too see these pigs damage anything! Maybe the odd garden but no real damage. A herd of cattle or a single bear in a oat field cause way more damage than a few pigs. Where do people get this info?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
10,000 ? That seems a little far fetched......
Im sure its alot higher then that even. THe pigs escaped/let go more then 25 years ago, (give or take a couple years) IIRC there was 2000 "released" Do the math
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I have yet too see these pigs damage anything! Maybe the odd garden but no real damage. A herd of cattle or a single bear in a oat field cause way more damage than a few pigs. Where do people get this info?
Havent you ever seen that hog hunters show (at least I think its called that) They run hogs with dogs catch em by hand and take em off site to be slaughtered. Any how thats where they get the info from
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Im sure its alot higher then that even. THe pigs escaped/let go more then 25 years ago, (give or take a couple years) IIRC there was 2000 "released" Do the math
You need to start thinking alot more before you post. Some of this crap your coming up with is so far out there it's quite annoying. Where do you come up with these BS numbers??? 25 yrs ago? 2,00 released?? Over 10,000 now??? You obviously don't know what your talking, ssshhhhhhh
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post

From real life experience. Google "Feral hogs environmental agricultural damage". After just a little research, a person would have to be purposefully blind to not accept that Feral hogs have the potential to inflict massive environmental damage.

Alberta is at risk of experiencing the same Feral hog problems occurring throughout the US if the population gets established.

To answer the OP,
YES! There are feral pigs in Alberta that need to be turned into Bacon.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM

I have seen the damage they can cause in the southern states where the numbers are in the 6 figures per state but here where we have wolves and cougars and large coyotes the numbers stay in check from what I have personally seen(not google). I have yet to see any damage from a few pigs that would even rival what one bear can do to an oatfield in one night.

and winger keep making yourself look stupid with all your lies good job
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
From real life experience. Google "Feral hogs environmental agricultural damage". After just a little research, a person would have to be purposefully blind to not accept that Feral hogs have the potential to inflict massive environmental damage.

Alberta is at risk of experiencing the same Feral hog problems occurring throughout the US if the population gets established.

To answer the OP,
YES! There are feral pigs in Alberta that need to be turned into Bacon.
Real life experience? Find me 3 farmers that have had any sizeable amount of damge too anything by hogs in the last few years around here? I can't understand why people like you seem to think these pigs are going to destroy the world? They created some problems when they first showed up, then, they got all there heads blown off. Thats about the size of it. Their's still a few around but they stick too useless swampland mostly. If they don't they get killed. Thats That!

That's the problem with getting ALL your info. from google WB, sometimes you have too actually be in the middle of it in real life to actually see whats going on.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I live south and west of Mayerthorpe, there aren't even that many INSIDE the fences! I don't know where the hell you got the info from, but it is bull****. I suggest checking your sources before making spectacularly outlandish claims.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndsmen View Post
You need to start thinking alot more before you post. Some of this crap your coming up with is so far out there it's quite annoying. Where do you come up with these BS numbers??? 25 yrs ago? 2,00 released?? Over 10,000 now??? You obviously don't know what your talking, ssshhhhhhh
The farmer that owned the pigs was going under, so he released them, not sure if it was for the insurance of lost animals, to not have to pay for feed, who knows. Im sorry that you find me annoying. Im just repeating things I was told growing up. I lived in that area for 22 years. And IIRC he released them in 85 or around there somewhere.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Saw 6 this morning on the way to work but I had no rifle, lucky piggies