Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Default Copper Fouling, Eradication?

How obsessive do you people get when it comes to copper fouling removal? I just bought a new gun, and I've logged more time cleaning it, than shooting it. I have used... Wipeout, Barnes, Sweets, Butches, Outers, and tons of patches. Even tried some Bore Bright, very cautiously, and it seems to take forever to get that last trace of copper out!! I can only see in the muzzle a short distance with my LED flashlight, but what I see there makes me keep shoving patches through. Is there a point of diminishing returns?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rollo View Post
How obsessive do you people get when it comes to copper fouling removal? I just bought a new gun, and I've logged more time cleaning it, than shooting it. I have used... Wipeout, Barnes, Sweets, Butches, Outers, and tons of patches. Even tried some Bore Bright, very cautiously, and it seems to take forever to get that last trace of copper out!! I can only see in the muzzle a short distance with my LED flashlight, but what I see there makes me keep shoving patches through. Is there a point of diminishing returns?
control not eradication.

Through first as good of cleaning as you feel is necessary, note how the rifle performs, totally clean vs. slightly fouled vs. excessivley fouled.
Once you've found where the rifle likes to be, you work within those parameters.

As far as your flashlight goes, try a borescope and really get an education. Not that what you often see as a potentially terrible barrel, that suddenly shoots the lights out, but it sure tells you a heap more than a falshlight.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM

i bought one of those outers bore kleen electronic cleaners that thing rocks copper fouling comes out in a few hours with 10 mins worth of work vs hours of patches with nasty chemicals, i found when my barnes cr 10 wasnt pulling out any more copper i will still get copper out with the electronic cleaner