Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 PM

Default Binoculars

Not sure that this is the right area, but looking for some help with a new pair of binos... I looked through the rack at cabelas the other day, from $100-4000 and found a nice pair of nikons that I liked (monarch 7 10x42)

Couple things I want some feedback on:

1- is a 10x42 about the perfect setup? This will be my first set of what I would consider expensive ($650 ish). Or is the 50mm objective really worth the size and weight?

2- Anyone with Nikon experience care to testify to their good/bad points? And is it worth having a set that good/expensive?

A good friend of mine has the swaros in 10x42 and they are amazing, but I can not bring myself to spend $3500 on a pair of binos haha.

Let's discuss...
Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 PM

What type of hunting do you do and where?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 AM

I like 10x42 as a do it all bino. But depending on your hunting style, another option might be something along the lines of an 8x32. And I have no experience with that particular binocular, but I've been happy with my Nikon optics for the price. I have an 7i rangefinder and an ED50 spotter, that are great value optics I feel.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:25 AM

Just purchased a pair of vortex razor 8x42 the clearity is amazing.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Everyone's eyes are a little different so be sure to look through as many as you can find. To my eye, there are none shy of $1000 that can match the Bushnell Legend HD. I went with the 8x36 model and they have the same ED Prime glass that comes in the Elite line. These have an amazing FOV and make objects visible well past legal light. I might choose differently if I was a sheep hunter or spending hours behind glass on the open prairie.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Be sure to check pricing at London drugs. You will be very happy with the price there.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Default optics

Different needs for different folks. That's why they have as many options out there as they do. Whether it be close range, far ranges, old eyes, young eyes, and then of course ......budget!
Most people who have been around the block a time or two, will tell you to buy the best pair you can afford, and rightly so, as this is a huge long term investment into all your future hunting activities.
if you hunt bush country only, a set of lower power optics are ideal. Mountain and prairie hunts often require a higher power to pick things out at long range. To get the best quality light gathering, divide the big lens by the small lens and get the biggest number you can: 50/10=5. Way better than a 56/15=3.7 (meaning a 10x50 bino should be better at light gathering than a 15x56)
It's not all about power, but light gathering, clarity (is the view in the glass clear right to the edges), and the quality of lens coatings. For myself, I had a huge education with optics in low light conditions. During the last half hour of light, a top name brand was useless beside a good pair of swarovski. Sometimes that last ten minutes of the day is critical.
The older I get, the tougher to hold the high power 10x glasses steady for longer viewing. I recently went to 8x (already miss the higher power, but easier to hold).
When it comes to economics. I have seen some pretty incredible glasses in the mid price range. The glass used in many brands are now coming out of the same labs, so the field of quality is becoming more narrow. Dont eliminate names like pentax, nikon, and even bushnell has really picked up a notch in the quality department. Luepold is ever popular and has been producing lower price options, but "you get what you pay for". And, one thing you do get with your money when buying Luepold, is some of the best service in warranty in the field.
If you cant afford swaro's and still want to look at some high-quality european models, check out names like meopta and khales. (I recently let a pair of 8x42 kahles slip by that I know I will regret, but how many binos does a guy really need?)
I would say the pair of Nikons you mentioned in your post would likely be a great pair of binos to get you going. I have looked through enough Nikon glasses and spotters at the range to know a quality glass. If something happened to my swarovskis , and I had to borrow a pair for a few days, Nikons would certainly make me feel confident in what I was carrying. I cant speak for their service department, but have never heard of anyone sending them back for anything.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Not sure that this is the right area, but looking for some help with a new pair of binos... I looked through the rack at cabelas the other day, from $100-4000 and found a nice pair of nikons that I liked (monarch 7 10x42)

Couple things I want some feedback on:

1- is a 10x42 about the perfect setup? This will be my first set of what I would consider expensive ($650 ish). Or is the 50mm objective really worth the size and weight?

2- Anyone with Nikon experience care to testify to their good/bad points? And is it worth having a set that good/expensive?

A good friend of mine has the swaros in 10x42 and they are amazing, but I can not bring myself to spend $3500 on a pair of binos haha.

Let's discuss...
1. I would not consider 10X binos the perfect setup - I think 8X take this. 10X are nice, but I find it hard (and quickly frustrating) to freehold 10X for any length of time without getting dizzy, disoriented. If I was using a tripod for my binos (which I don't) this may help. If having one set, I'd chose 8x42.

2. I've never owned a pair of Nikon, but experience on this forum says that many have and plenty of good feedback occurs on them (both for rifle scopes and binos). Regardless of the cost I'd still want to do some side by side comparisons at a big box store near closing time to get their low light capabilities.

They don't get big by being dumb.