Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Increase in fees
Yes, I would be in favour of increased fees 60 36.59%
No, leave as is 104 63.41%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Increased app./tag fees for "once in a lifetime" draws

Taking off from another thread, how many of you serious sheep/goat/buffalo hunters would be in favour of increased fees for these once in a lifetime hunts in hopes of eliminating every Tom, Dick, and Fido from applying.
I am including 438 sheep although it isn't actually once in a lifetime.
I'm thinking $500 seems like a reasonable fee.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM
sheephunter

For the tag? The application? I'd say there's a big difference.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
For the tag? The application?
Both, refundable of course on failure to draw. Of course would like to hear other suggestions to prevent what is happening with the # of appllicants in these draws
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Taking off from another thread, how many of you serious sheep/goat/buffalo hunters would be in favour of increased fees for these once in a lifetime hunts in hopes of eliminating every Tom, Dick, and Fido from applying.
I am including 438 sheep although it isn't actually once in a lifetime.
I'm thinking $500 seems like a reasonable fee.
Not me.

Only for the reason that I can absolutely afford it. It then becomes a rich man sport , and dequalifys some serious guys , that might not be able to afford it.

If we are going to play the rich guy card , might as well endorse paid hunting as well. High tags and exclusive rights to hunting land would make my trophy collection a lot better, and maybe make me happier, with less problems and especially competition....But at the end , it's not right . Everyone who lives here should have equal opportunity. And we should be separated by financial statements.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM

I am in favor of raising the application or the tag prices on the lottery tags, or the tags which take 10 years or longer to draw, if having to pay for the tags when drawn doesn't work, or if the people in charge, won't consider trying that option first. As to the prices, I would be in favor of starting out with modest increases, to gauge the effect that it has. I am not however in favor of $500 for a tag, even though I personally could afford that for a goat or a sheep tag.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Not me.

Only for the reason that I can absolutely afford it. It then becomes a rich man sport , and dequalifys some serious guys , that might not be able to afford it.

If we are going to play the rich guy card , might as well endorse paid hunting as well. High tags and exclusive rights to hunting land would make my trophy collection a lot better, and maybe happier. But at the end , it's not right . Everyone who lives here should have equal opportunity.
I have to agree with potty on this one. It's not a slope we want to start sliding down.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Both, refundable of course on failure to draw. Of course would like to hear other suggestions to prevent what is happening with the # of appllicants in these draws
I honestly don't know what the answer is and I share your frustration but at the end of the day, I can't help shake the premise that access to our hunting and fishing resources needs to be equal for all.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
how many of you serious sheep/goat/buffalo hunters would be in favour of increased fees for these once in a lifetime hunts in hopes of eliminating every Tom, Dick, and Fido from applying.
WOW I GUESS ITS ALL ABOUT THE RICH AND _________. i vote no
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Sure, why not.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't know what the answer is and I share your frustration but at the end of the day, I can't help shake the premise that access to our hunting and fishing resources needs to be equal for all.
Quote:
Everyone who lives here should have equal opportunity.
Well it certainly isn't equal now. I wish that it was, but it isn't.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Not me.

If we are going to play the rich guy card , might as well endorse paid hunting as well. High tags and exclusive rights to hunting land would make my trophy collection a lot better, and maybe make me happier, with less problems and especially competition....But at the end , it's not right . Everyone who lives here should have equal opportunity. And we should be separated by financial statements.
Really? I somehow doubt that
Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Really? I somehow doubt that
Serious by definition to me is someone who spends the time. It's not defined by what someone has for gear. Some of the best sheep guys , have some of the cheapest , basic ancient gear I've seen.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned

said it before and saying it now. a 25 dollar application fee wouldnt be limiting for anyone, but would likely stop the apps for everyone a guy has ever met and his dog.

tag price increase could be a go as well, but 500 is too much. i hate to see anyone priced out of hunting.....but the abuse needs to stop.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Serious by definition to me is someone who spends the time. It's not defined by what someone has for gear. Some of the best sheep guys , have some of the cheapest , basic ancient gear I've seen.
Guess if they are serious enough about it, they will put enough aside for that once in a lifetime 438 tag price increase.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM

I dont think its reasonable, ur putting a dollar value on an opportunity to hunt. Maybe then you should do the same for elk out around Suffield, I would love to draw there but all these other applicants are getting in the way of me drawing a tag WTF? Inconsiderate arent they....so I can up my chances of getting drawn if I pay more for a fee because maybe I can afford it?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I dont think its reasonable, ur putting a dollar value on an opportunity to hunt. Maybe then you should do the same for elk out around Suffield, I would love to draw there but all these other applicants are getting in the way of me drawing a tag WTF? Inconsiderate arent they....so I can up my chances of getting drawn if I pay more for a fee because maybe I can afford it?
I WILL be drawn for suffield elk in my lifetime, multiple times actually. I have a pretty strong notion that I will never be drawn for 438 sheep or goat in my lifetime
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Yup and i will probably never win the 6/49 thats life...its completely unreasonable to think that raising the fee is fare...thats just limiting who can apply due to their financial position in life. So you have money do you can hunt?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM

If the money actually went toward habitat and hunting violation enforcement maybe. The way things are now a big NO! The cost of living is high enough already for
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Why stop at $500 , lets put them up for auction. Lets make it like the ministers tag! Could you come play with the big boys, could you put the money aside for the one in a lifetime tag....I'm guessing not.

Just cause 500 works for your bank book , doesn't mean it works for everyone. I totally agree with your frustration. I'm equally mad , but giving the government more money and eliminating people is not a solution.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Yup and i will probably never win the 6/49 thats life...its completely unreasonable to think that raising the fee is fare...thats just limiting who can apply due to their financial position in life. So you have money do you can hunt?
Again, if you can afford to head to Zama.....take time off work and sit on a mountain for 10 days in Cadomin.......you can afford an increase in tag prices for a once in a lifetime hunt.
As for 6/49, buy more tickets, it increases your chances, much like buying multiple ministers tag tickets.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Why stop at $500 , lets put them up for auction. Lets make it like the ministers tag! Could you come play with the big boys, could you put the money aside for the one in a lifetime tag....I'm guessing not.

Just cause 500 works for your bank book , doesn't mean it works for everyone. I totally agree with your frustration. I'm equally mad , but giving the government more money and eliminating people is not a solution.
Starting to get a bit carried away now aren't we? Not sure where the auction thing is coming from, we already have those. Raffle tickets also. Maybe there should be a limit of one on those then. Obviously buying more than one increases your odds........so that too is a game for those with money?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Lol,, I don't know where to post anymore we have two posts on the same subject,, I will move it over here..

Quote:
Well now see here we go.. Now its Suffield Mule deer tag.. Next lets do it up in the Chin wildlife preserve for Moose.. Ohh we made money there lets create one in Wainwright for WhiteTail. Well this is going well lets close off all the eastern slopes, create a trophy bull elk area and charge $1500.00 for a coveted Trophy bull elk tag.. I see where you are going MT but this one would scare me. You know as well as I do with polititions so earger to please and being the greedy organisations we know them to be would have a run away with this. They would keep everyone happy here. They would not outlaw hunting in order to keep us happy but they would make it unafordable for most and that would keep the anti groups happy.. Scarry stuff if you ask me,
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM

I need to start a poll on raising the tax on gas. Too many people don't hike far enough to their hunting spots. An extra buck a litre sounds reasonable no?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
So putting in the time it takes to be considered serious is affordable for everyone?
And our defintions of some of the "best sheep guys" probably differ greatly
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

Default Work together people

Every debate on this forum becomes a huge ****ing match. Cant anyone find common ground here? Obviously some people need to realize you can't hunt goats and sheep from a truck. Its clear that we need an increase in cost or (insert solution instead of whining) the number of applicants in these draws is rediculous compared with general tag sales(sheep). We need solutions. Increase in cost is one possible option, let's explore they options. Unfortunately an 8 mile hike with a 50 lb pack before application isn't possible.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Raffle tickets also. Maybe there should be a limit of one on those then. Obviously buying more than one increases your odds........so that too is a game for those with money?
Now that is a very fair comment, the more tags you purchase, the better your odds. Obviously the more money that you have, the more tickets you can afford. Therefore having more money equates to better odds of drawing. Yet I don't see people trying to set a limit of one ticket per person for the ministers tag raffle.

Quote:
Every debate on this forum becomes a huge ****ing match. Cant anyone find common ground here? Obviously some people need to realize you can't hunt goats and sheep from a truck. Its clear that we need an increase in cost or (insert solution instead of whining) the number of applicants in these draws is rediculous compared with general tag sales(sheep). We need solutions. Increase in cost is one possible option, let's explore they options. Unfortunately an 8 mile hike with a 50 lb pack before application isn't possible.
I actually suggested a possible option that might help, by having the tag charged to your credit card, as soon as you draw. It might help, or it might not, but other locations do currently use this system.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Lol,, I don't know where to post anymore we have two posts on the same subject,, I will move it over here..
Well now see here we go.. Now its Suffield Mule deer tag.. Next lets do it up in the Chin wildlife preserve for Moose.. Ohh we made money there lets create one in Wainwright for WhiteTail. Well this is going well lets close off all the eastern slopes, create a trophy bull elk area and charge $1500.00 for a coveted Trophy bull elk tag.. I see where you are going MT but this one would scare me. You know as well as I do with polititions so earger to please and being the greedy organisations we know them to be would have a run away with this. They would keep everyone happy here. They would not outlaw hunting in order to keep us happy but they would make it unafordable for most and that would keep the anti groups happy.. Scarry stuff if you ask me

I do see your point, but the tags being referred to here aren't going to be much of a money maker for the government. 8 438 tags, 9(?) goat tags...so far that isn't much income. Not sure on bison as I don't apply because I have no plans to ever hunt them
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
said it before and saying it now. a 25 dollar application fee wouldnt be limiting for anyone, but would likely stop the apps for everyone a guy has ever met and his dog.

tag price increase could be a go as well, but 500 is too much. i hate to see anyone priced out of hunting.....but the abuse needs to stop.

I guess there's a first for everything. I would have to agree with bambi on this. Potty is right too! I know several guys who have very limited budgets but their trophy rooms speak for themselves. Maybe guys taking the time off for zama or cadomin is stretching the bank thin as it is? Let's not take opportunity away for every hunter in Alberta who's willing to go actually hunt these tag's. It's the guys who apply and get drawn and then have no intent on trying. These are the guys to be weeded out but doubt it will ever happen. I know of several Bison applicants who got drawn and didnt bother going.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Now that is a very fair comment, the more tags you purchase, the better your odds. Obviously the more money that you have, the more tickets you can afford. Therefore having more money equates to better odds of drawing. Yet I don't see people trying to set a limit of one ticket per person for the ministers tag raffle.
And if i recall from the last thread on that topic, limiting raffle tickets #'s to one was very unfair.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech3006 View Post

Not a huge %&*$ match just a level headed discusion to try and come up with a formula to hopefull present to the powers that be.

But I am sure the you know who's will show up soon enough lol..