Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-31-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Best all around rifle for alberta?

Coming from Ontario I've done most of my hunting with shotguns. So my questions in hand is what do you guys recomend to be the best all around rifle for the great west!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Well there will be a lot of emotional answers to this but I think the best answer is--one you can shoot straight, this could be a 270 and its new variations, a 7 mm, a 300 in various denominations. Get something that shoots reliably with a decent scope and you will do well here!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM

^ x2

Dont over gun yourself, get something that you can and will shoot enough to get competent with. 90% of all of Alberta's hunting can be successfully done with any caliber fitting in the 270Win, to 30'06 performance range.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 PM

anything from the 6.5 caliber with a 308 sized case on up to an '06 case will
work fine.....
Cat
Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM

get ready for everything from a 243 to a 600nitro....
'the best' is subjective, at best.
what is your species of interst???
recoil tolerance?
reloader or factory ammo shooter?

since alberta is diverse in geography, you need to be diverse in your application. (your 'finance dept' may agree but tell her you just need more than one rifle)
id say a good middle-of-the-road starter piece would be a 300wsm good in the flats, in tite and big enough for all boars, bulls and bucks.
then later maybe you can break it down to smaller cal (e.g. 25-06)for dedicated predator gun that is still legal for bigame

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Nationwide

Thumbs up Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukewild View Post
Coming from Ontario I've done most of my hunting with shotguns. So my questions in hand is what do you guys recomend to be the best all around rifle for the great west!
I would say the 30-06 would do fine .
Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM

.308 or 300 WSM

R
Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM

lol, I'm with Roger on this one....go with the 600 Nitro !!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM

where abouts will you be hunting? and what game will you be aiming for mainly?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM

anything from the 270's and up will give you reliable performance on most big game here that being said you can get a 300 win with a softer pad that will recoil like a 270 win and it will be even better for moose elk bears etc
Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 PM

.30-06, no different than anywhere else!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 PM

Hey guys, I greatly appreciate all the responses so far.

Well to be honest this will my first year hunting albertas big game, and I havent really figured out any game plans for the upcoming fall. Im still a young lad and alot of this is still new to me.

I'm still quite open on what im really after this fall, and where i'll be hunting. My only big game exsperience so far have been a few whitetail. But I'd like to go for a bull elk and also whitetails this season. I guess it all just really depends on where I decide to hunt and my time and budget.

And for the time being Im shooting factory loads, but looking into loading my own this year.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 AM

I shoot a 280 rem. Best calibre I ever shot. Not to much recoil, relatively inexpensive ammo, (compared to some of the WSM stuff) and great knock down power. I have shot 2 moose, 2 elk and multiple deer. With good placed shots none of the animals have gone more that fifty yards.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
lol, I'm with Roger on this one....go with the 600 Nitro !!
I'll third this. A T-rex or Nyati would be acceptable too.

Actually, a .308/.270/30-06 will cover you fine. Pick one.

If you are going to specialize (ie. moose/elk or pronghorn mostly for example) then you might want to consider something slightly more "exotic". Although, you'd probably still be fine with these three.

Don't get into a buying frenzy just because something new has come around.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Default shoot what you can accuratly

My buddy bought a 300 win and made me sight it in because he had such bad trigger panic. Not to get off topic or bash anyones rigs but being a hand loader, has anyone ever actually chronographed a 300wsm because a 30-06 with a 180 vs 300 with 180 handloads are within 100fps. while a 300 win with 4831 with a 180 out of 24 inch barrel was 3038 fps at muzzle while 30-06 was 2700fps so new isn't always better and you can get some good guns used for alright coin.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
My buddy bought a 300 win and made me sight it in because he had such bad trigger panic. Not to get off topic or bash anyones rigs but being a hand loader, has anyone ever actually chronographed a 300wsm because a 30-06 with a 180 vs 300 with 180 handloads are within 100fps. while a 300 win with 4831 with a 180 out of 24 inch barrel was 3038 fps at muzzle while 30-06 was 2700fps so new isn't always better and you can get some good guns used for alright coin.
Not with the handload data I have , the 300 WSM is way ahead of an 06, and matches the 300 win mag handily.....
Cat
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Allow me to contribute my scholarly opinion to this fine question.

The best rifle for Alberta is chambered for any reasonable cartridge (pick yours) - but is chambered in the manly falling block single shot. The Ruger No. 1 can do anything. A bull barrelled 25-06 version is right up there with the bean field rifles. Put it in a 7x57 class chambering and give it a mannlicher stock and you have the ultimate gentleman's carbine. There are even stainless versions of it now in laminated stocks that can handle anything our climate can throw at it. I like the fact that they are noticeably shorter than similar bolt guns too.

In my humble opinion it is the best hunting gun going for pretty much everything except for maybe dangerous game where the chicken hearted like myself would prefer a repeater.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
I'll third this. A T-rex or Nyati would be acceptable too.
not that it matters...but i infered that he should get ready for every suggestion that includes everything from 243 to 600 and evrything oddball in the middle.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 AM

LOL asking a bunch of hunters to agree on the best all round caliber or rifle
is like asking 10 truckdrivers to agree on the same thing
or 10 farmers not to under cut each other on the price of grain or hawgs
or 10 lawyers to keep their hands in their own pockets
or 10 polaticians to tell the truth
haha hehehe
go wth what you feel in yer heart is best for you
if its a 50bmg then use it
if its a 270 then go for it
if its a 243 then use it whats suits you best and what do feel comfortable wth ?????

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-03-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: speelin error
Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM

Helll....the best is a Rem 700 LVSF in 7-08 Ackley.....why else would I have built one unless it was the BEST.....

The BEST all-around is the rifle that you're most confident in, and it does what you want it to do....

For ME, in Alberta, that means anything from around a 25-06 up to a 338WM is perfectly suitable as an all-around gun in my eyes....
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukewild View Post
Hey guys, I greatly appreciate all the responses so far.

Well to be honest this will my first year hunting albertas big game, and I havent really figured out any game plans for the upcoming fall. Im still a young lad and alot of this is still new to me.

I'm still quite open on what im really after this fall, and where i'll be hunting. My only big game exsperience so far have been a few whitetail. But I'd like to go for a bull elk and also whitetails this season. I guess it all just really depends on where I decide to hunt and my time and budget.

And for the time being Im shooting factory loads, but looking into loading my own this year.

The "Special Licence" draw book will be out before too long. Be sure you get a copy (at any licence outlet, F&W office, Canadian tire stores). Think about what you may want to hunt in the next several years and start applying NOW. It will cost you about $3.25 to put in an application for Antelope and even if you don't think about hunting them now, you may be very glad you made the investment in 5 or 6 years from now when you think you may like to hunt them. What I'm getting at is some licences take several years to get enough priority points to get drawn. By the time you deside you may like to hunt something, you will then have to wait a long time if you start applying then. (apply NOW and done the road you will be glad you did)

Often when you ask "what is the best rifle for hunting in Alberta?" many of the people hear "what do you use?"

I have quite a collection of rifles in various cartridges. None of them are "the best all around rifle". I have a savage lever action in .300 savage but the same gun in .308 would be a better choice for an all around rifle. I have a Rem. pump in .35 whelen but the same gun in 30/06 would be a better all around rifle. I have a Win. model 70 bolt action in .264 win. mag. but the same gun in 270 win would be a better all around rifle for you.

For a first big game rifle I would stick to a "common" rifle in a "common" cartridge. A bolt action in .308, 30/06 or .270 will do the trick. And in a few years when you know a little more and have had some more experience you may want to trade up or get another gun.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Gone Hunting

xxx

Last edited by sullijr; 04-03-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: I do not wish to cause a continuance of this thread
Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Alberta is very diverse... gophers to elk...plus water fowl thrown in for good measure.

I have the very minimum of what you need....

22 LR Brno for gophers
22 LR Hiawatha with scope for a gopher shooting friend
22 LR Cooey that my dad cut down for me when i was 6... it will be my boys'
17.HMR for far gophers and coyotes (makes gophers blowed up real good)
.270 AI (Totally custom built on a Win Action) for anything else
.303 left to me by grandad
30-06 Custom....everything....
12 gauge ina Remington marine magnum custmi magazine, folding stock and quick release rig... bear protection
10 gauge marlin Bolt Action waterfowl gun
12 gauge Rem *70 2-3/4 upland gun

I would say this is bare minimum for Alberta

or you could just get a good hunting bow and use it for everything!....

HEHEHEHEH!...
Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Allow me to contribute my scholarly opinion to this fine question.

The best rifle for Alberta is chambered for any reasonable cartridge (pick yours) - but is chambered in the manly falling block single shot. The Ruger No. 1 can do anything. A bull barrelled 25-06 version is right up there with the bean field rifles. Put it in a 7x57 class chambering and give it a mannlicher stock and you have the ultimate gentleman's carbine. There are even stainless versions of it now in laminated stocks that can handle anything our climate can throw at it. I like the fact that they are noticeably shorter than similar bolt guns too.

In my humble opinion it is the best hunting gun going for pretty much everything except for maybe dangerous game where the chicken hearted like myself would prefer a repeater.
Wow, someone uncorked his last bottle of Chateau Wogga Wogga 1957 last night... wait, I hear the theme from "Masterpiece Theater"... Oh Allistaire, we're over here...
Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
Jeez cat when you covert em they really preach.I am glad to see #1 owners are now gentlemen
I believe he actually already owns one!
cat
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Now that I have aggrivated everyone with my snobbery and foolishness, I suppose I should get the other foot in there too.

My next rifle will be a Ruger No.1 with fine wood. I see a matte finished half round, half octagonal barrel chambered for the stupidest ballistic pig I can find! I am thinking a 45-60 or maybe a 45-90 would be just grand, with a 28" barrel. I will fuel this monster with the filthiest, smelliest grade of black powder that I can find too. Don't anybody dare to suggest a scope either, I want one of those tang sights that the BPCR fellers are using. I would cast my own bullets too.

You fellas are right, you are probably better off not listening to me. I am headed to the poorhouse and if the old lady finds out how much this great idea of mine is going to cost...I may end up in the outhouse.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
The "Special Licence" draw book will be out before too long. Be sure you get a copy (at any licence outlet, F&W office, Canadian tire stores). Think about what you may want to hunt in the next several years and start applying NOW.
Solid advice. I moved here to AB from SK in 2005. I started putting myself in the draws that year. I 'deferred' all of them the first two years (05/06) as I didn't have a rifle (long story) and didn't have anybody to hunt with. Not that I have a problem hunting alone, done it many times. It's just simpler and smarter to go with someone else who knows the area and the people (ie: landowners so you can hunt with permission).

Luckily, I made a friend at work who's an avid hunter and has been his whole life long. As is his father. I hunted with the two of them, my friends son, and his other hunting partner of about 15 years, last fall (07) for the first time for me here in AB. Between the 5 of us, we got 8 deer and 1 moose in 3 days.

Anyhow, I've been deferring bull moose and antlered mule deer for 3 years now. I'm deferring my bull moose again this year since his dad is likely to get his bull moose tag this year and his other partner a moose calf tag. Which almost guarantees I'll get bull moose in 09. I will be drawing for antlered mulie this year, and considering the WMU we're hunting in, I'm quite sure I'll get it.

So anyhow, that's solid advice. Decide what you want to hunt and where. Start entering the draws immediately for those animals and just defer until the year you're ready to go out after that animal.

Quote:
I have quite a collection of rifles in various cartridges. None of them are "the best all around rifle". I have a savage lever action in .300 savage but the same gun in .308 would be a better choice for an all around rifle. I have a Rem. pump in .35 whelen but the same gun in 30/06 would be a better all around rifle. I have a Win. model 70 bolt action in .264 win. mag. but the same gun in 270 win would be a better all around rifle for you.
Awesome, another Savage 99 owner! My hunting partner loaned me one of his .300 lever's last fall. I loved it! Beautiful gun. I filled two of my tags with it (white tail and mulie doe) and helped drop a moose calf with it. It took me a while but I finally found, and purchased, a 99 in .308. I prefer .308, 30-06 or 270 myself. Used a .270 a lot back in SK with great effectiveness. Awesome open country gun. I've always liked .308 and 30-06 and settled on the .308 because it has a longer/flatter shell than the .300.

Anyhow, as has been pointed out, what you'll get for advice from people is going to be very subjective as we all have our likes and dislikes. For instance, I've never cared much for .303's.......lol
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 AM

The important thing is to select the one that you can shoot accurately, has readily available ammunition, and is available in a rifle that fits you well as well as one that you like.

Have fun on your rifle quest!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Ask the fellows at Wholesale Sports. They are very knowledgable and garner a lot of respect on this board.

Let the merriment ensue!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

If you cannot have a successful hunting season in Alberta using a .30-06, a .22 long rifle and a 12 gauge, stay home. These are all you need.