Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheL View Post
Fair enough,Serves me right for wading in on a $@^$disturber thread. Keep stirring the pot you'll churn up more responses but not from me I'm going back to fishing discussions.This one's going sideways.

Hahaha
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Hey Fishfinder, what's up with all of the Barbie Doll comments? I don't understand what point you are trying to get across with that reference?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Question Brains

When they said trains they thought they said brains and they tried to catch one.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Simple, if you can't live with the rules, quit fishing,leaves more for people who truly enjoy the sport. :
Old 01-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Since learning to fish carp out of the S.Sask in S'toon back in the 50's, I've never held an expectation that a fish bitten, is a fish landed. I went barbless in the mid 80's and use it for all species.

One of the most enjoyable time slots of any fishing trip for me, is the time between fish on, and fish released. It's when I can actually interact with the other player. Using a barb for me now, is unthinkable.

Quote:
Later this study was reviewed by others and found to have been flawed in some way. So more studies were done and as it was explained to me no good scientist can base anything on one study for this reason nor should laws be imposed that don't have science to back them.
I don't need scientific studies. I can clearly see the effects in my years of observation.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM

Wink the way fishing's going...

it's guna be **** in 10yrs anyway, lakes are getting fished out. fish are getting stunted. the fines now are stupid high wich is good barbed hook 200 bucks. with all that money the fish and game should higher better fish managment people. to get our lakes up to par, and now alot of lakes are going to the tag system like wat the heck. there'z only a few lakes a guy can keep walleye. all i can say is fish while the fishin is good and have a good time while it last's. cause seriously things could be run better...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Folks,

The barbless hook idea came directly from Ralph Klien and was fought by the folks from the Fisheries Division cause it made no sense. But Ralphie was what he was and he wasn't to be derailed by any logical argument from F&W. So we have barbless.
You want somebody to blame - blame Ralphie.

It isn't about fines, ease of release of yourself and others, release of fish or any other silly notion. It was about Ralphie who @ the time apparently was partners with some guys in a BC lodge. Expect that's where he learned about barbless. Probably wasn't on a Molsons can.

Don
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
First off I always fish according to the regulations, and if they impose barbless so be it. However to say that mortality is higher on barbed than barbless is not necessarily the facts. During my time as host of Fishing Alberta I had the opportunity to meet several of our fisheries biologists and one in perticular was very involved in the discussions when Banff National park was considering barbless regs and Alberta had not imposed this regulation yet. Now I am going from memory with this but here is what I remember in my discussions with him.
There has been several studies on this issue and the first study released did show signs of higher mortality on fish caught with barbed treble hooks than single barbless. So with this States like Idaho and the province of BC quickly jumped on this and imposed single barbless hook laws. Later this study was reviewed by others and found to have been flawed in some way. So more studies were done and as it was explained to me no good scientist can base anything on one study for this reason nor should laws be imposed that don't have science to back them.
So after several more studies they actually found in some cases that there was a higher mortality in single barbless than in barbed trebles. Good thing this was not the first study that states and provinces based there laws. Could you imagine flies tied with treble hooks. So any way with this said when they were looking at barbless single hooks in Banff they considered quality of fishing, mortality as well as quality of the experience. Therefore this biologist recomended they did not implement the barbless rules as it might hinder kids and new anglers from enjoying the experience of landing not just hooking fish.

As others have commented the other concern I have with the anglers believing that barbless single hooks do not cause mortality, think about this when we used barbs when a fish was hooked deep we simply cut the line as close to the mouth and released the fish. still some mortality for sure but usually they would survive. Now with barbless I constantly witness anglers digging way down and over handling the fish further stressing it than if they just cut the line. Now don't get me wrong I do fish barbless and don't mind just pointing out the facts as I remember them.
Mortality is part of fishing any way we slice it.

Just my 2 cents

Best regards and Good Fishing

Alex Kreis

Interesting!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Well i can still remember when they were first introduced barbless into the system. I hated the idea of it, but after following it i really didn't mind it that much. Now it just seems like a non-issue to me.

One guy on here said he figured barbless took more time to bring a fish in and i think it would be the other way around. As i see people and it was written on here to keep your lines tight. I feel because of this people are really horsing that fish in. Not giving a remote chance of getting slack in their line, then you add that to fishing in the deep which most of the shack cities on slave lake are in 30ft of water. The fishing is usually pretty good. How many fish being released have an exploded air bladder.

I think there has been alot of varibles when introducing a regulation that has not been considered. I would instead like to know the mortality rate of fish released from deep water
Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked07 View Post
Pretty deep, maybe your right and I am looking for justification from you to fish barbless. In my mind eh? No, actually my mind is all big gunns, big walleye, killing stuff, actual firearms and big gunns again. Yeah that's pretty much it, in that order. Seriously though, big difference between human safety and a fish's well being there bub, seatbelts?? What are you talking about?!
On another note, now don't let go of that tree but it can't be proven fish even register pain in the same capacity as an actual human so enough of the poor fish stories, you remember us humans, the top of the food chain where we actually eat fish, omg!
Hooked, I think you are missing the point. I think the big reason you are getting heat and push-back (from most anyway) is not because you hate barbless and say it. It's because you said you were going to go ahead and break the law. That get's people going here. Go and take a look at the thread on deer baiting. Lots of opinions on both sides, but if you posted that you deer baited here in Alberta regardless of the law you would have most here turning you in. Now I suspect that you likely aren't going to break the law and just said that out of frustration, but it's what you said.

Now I would love to be able to use barbed hooks too, because I do lose some fish. But it's the law so I accept it and do the best I can. It's still sport.