Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=GustavMahler;932433]Hey!! Chevy's have running boards and boxes that couldn't hold two flakes of a bale of hay. Real Trucks are called Chev's. Actually real trucks are called Internationals.

C'mmon Pat, seriously, duuuude.[/QUOTElmao! wasnt even talkin to you.... lol.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=GustavMahler;932433]Hey!! Chevy's have running boards and boxes that couldn't hold two flakes of a bale of hay. Real Trucks are called Chev's. Actually real trucks are called Internationals.

internationals are called Corn Binders
Dodges are Fargos
Old 05-06-2011, 08:05 PM

i got pics from lunch at hooters today....wanna compare blondes and brunettes? big and small?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i got pics from lunch at hooters today....wanna compare blondes and brunettes? big and small?
Put yer dollar on the table.............
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM

From the Fsheries Act (Canada) Alberta Regulations

The only legal common name for "Sander vitreus" in Alberta is Walleye.

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...or-98-246.html

Someone else can jump in here as to why Alberta lists the latin name for Walleye as "Sander vitreus" while other provinces and territoies use the latin name "Stizostedion vitreum". I'd rather be fishing..
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
From the Fsheries Act (Canada) Alberta Regulations

The only legal common name for "Sander vitreus" in Alberta is Walleye.

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...or-98-246.html

Someone else can jump in here as to why Alberta lists the latin name for Walleye as "Sander vitreus" while other provinces and territoies use the latin name "Stizostedion vitreum". I'd rather be fishing..
Recently changed the latin name to Sander vitreus for walleye to reflect European ancestry. http://www.seattlefishnm.com/product...heets/walleye/
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Recently changed the latin name to Sander vitreus for walleye to reflect European ancestry. http://www.seattlefishnm.com/product...heets/walleye/
darn, here I went to skool for yeers to speek latin and all for naught.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
haha ok my point will never be made with you I guess...but "walleye" is nothing more than a "common name", it is not a "correct name" as you keep calling it. I understand the point you are trying to make but that is the whole reason scientific nomenclature exists, to have a correct name that is universally known when discussing this species. Therefore, it is elitist to say the only name you should be calling this fish is a "walleye", a common name given to the fish species with the correct name of Sander vitreus.

There is nothing "correct" about calling this fish a walleye when you are debating between several other "common" names of the same fish.
And you keep missing the forest because of the trees! I posted provincial regulations that specify walleye. They don't say pickerel. Why is that he wonders aloud? Simple, walleye are the fish that are caught in those provinces, not pickerel!

There's a difference between using some local slang as opposed to misleading people as to the correct name of a fish specie. Our Lake Winnipeg walleyes are very well known to anglers as "greenbacks!" However, ppl know that they are walleye, not pickerel. Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times.

To quote your scientific name; sander vitreum, show us where that is the scientific name for pickerel.

Keep calling them pickerel if you want. Just don't look dumbfounded when people in the know give you the, "Where did this guy learn his fish?" look!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Other Canadian jurisdictions have accepted sander vitreum as the scientific name for walleye.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

Keep calling them pickerel if you want. Just don't look dumbfounded when people in the know give you the, "Where did this guy learn his fish?" look![/QUOTE]

But would you not think if these people ARE IN THE KNOW if he says pickerel should they not know he is talking about walleye......hmmmmm.....
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.twister View Post
Some people also call them EYES, hmm i like that.
I just call them supper!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=horsetrader; I'm pretty sure it's not normal for a person to count their wins buy some one else's failures....

i just had to reuse that.....lol
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
But would you not think if these people ARE IN THE KNOW if he says pickerel should they not know he is talking about walleye......hmmmmm.....
Quote: "Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times."

Starting to think that there are a lot more liberals on this forum than we are led to believe!

Let go of the past! Catch up to the present and move ahead into the future!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
Quote: "Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times."

Starting to think that there are a lot more liberals on this forum than we are led to believe!

Let go of the past! Catch up to the present and move ahead into the future!
How do you figure we are living in the past we know what we are fishing for we know what the fish are no mater what name people use.You seem to be the one that can't tell what a fish is unless it is called by the name you know. Maybe you need to be re-educated ................
Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 AM

So, what happened to gatorhunter the C.O. from Manitoba. Maybe he went back to study up on "The history of the Walleye". He pulls off the same thing on the other boards that he frequents, always telling everyone how wrong they are.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Default Very very dissapointed

I used a pickeral rig today, one of the rare occasions I have used one, and all I caught was a bunch of frikkin walleyes!!!! I want my money back!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I used a pickeral rig today, one of the rare occasions I have used one, and all I caught was a bunch of frikkin walleyes!!!! I want my money back!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
nooo its :

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
nooo its :
Ohhhhh so its
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Ohhhhh so its
all I wanted was a pike!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM

A pickeral rig gets its name from the term the english used for still fishing - pickeral.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Am i the only one that noticed in one of the pdfs gator posted links to that it said "walleye(pickerel)" and "northern pike(jackfish)" not that i approve of the name but did he not say that it was not printed in any regs so the name is not correct? Or something along. Those lines
Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
No cause the fish is a walleye and the evidence presented in court by an officer will show the fish to be walleye. It is up to the accused to know what he is fishing for. If the regulations show walleye, how can the accused show that he was fishing for "pickerel" when there are no pickerel in the regulations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario?.
Oh here it is.

Also the reg excerpt im referring to is the one named 10guide.pdf page 5 of 17
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 PM

I grew up in Manitoba and had a fair stint in Northern Ontario and we always called walleye a pickeral Interesting though one of the all time favourite lures for catching a " walleye" is a pickeral rig Go figure!!

Gord
Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
He pulls off the same thing on the other boards that he frequents, always telling everyone how wrong they are.
Fortunately many, many people over the years have thanked me for correcting wrong information.

To say that I'm always telling people how wrong they are is totally incorrect. If I've made it a point to highlight a mistake then it's because the person is wrong. Luckily, resource users know the laws pretty well so I don't "tell EVERYONE how wrong they are!"

I could easily stay off these forums and let people continue to think they are stating fact or worse, someone who doesn't know better, take that wrong information as fact. But that's not how I roll.

Whether it's a phone call to the office, coffee shop banter or internet forums, education is education. If I see something wrong, I'll try to fix it. I want to make sure that people are getting the right information and from a credible source. Not an opinion from anonymous internet cowboys who could care less if they steer people wrong.

Whether you agree with me is immaterial. My contributions to outdoor forums with reference to real or legal situations are supported by the laws that govern our resources. While there may be reference to some fish by a local name in the recreational fishing guides, regulatory language speaks to the legally recognized name; walleye, northern pike, the trouts, perch, whitefish, etc. Tight lines!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
OH NO! It's simon the zealot from New Brunswick Outdoorsmen Forum, who has somehow got the OP's original question confused with a "can we introduce a Pickerel" thread.

Off topic, but why do you fish if you detest so many non-native species,,, Alberti isn't exactly a native fish paradise? It must drive you nuts trying to fish here. Be honest, there are a few native ones that you detest too. C'mon, we're all buds on here.
....wutever,jest sayin,pickerel,REAL pickerel,that being Chain Pickerel,are another invasive menace in the Maritimes that are for some reason popular with the environmental terrorist,warmwater bucket brigade crowd.Possibly because they are a stupidly easy to catch eating machine and will hit anything you throw at them that they can wrap their toothy mouths around and then some,from trout flies to newborn ducklings and everything in between.FWIW,Chain Pickerel are in fact native to NB....SMB are NOT.The only thing I "detest" is the morons that spread these invasives around from one watershed to another to the detrement of my beloved salmonids.I don't actually detest any species,I just wish the idiots would leave them where they belong and stop trying to create new "fisheries for dummies" that don't have the skill or patience to angle for more challenging,spirited fish.The initial explosive,topwater strike of Chain Picks is actually kinda fun,but within a few seconds they are played out and have all the spirit and fight of a snagged beaver stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Oh No it's the Bass thread all over again RUN SAVE YOURSELVES....Mothers hide your daughters Cover your children's ears. Your about to hear the rantings of a man possessed by the evils of BUCKET BRIGADE..... RUN....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................... ...............
wutever
Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 PM

caught a bunch of fish that had a spiney back and big mouths with pretty bigteeth today. Kinda browny yellow in color with white tipped fins. Got alot from the boat near a island and quite a few from shore point when the wind got bad.
im guessing they were Pickerel
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
caught a bunch of fish that had a spiney back and big mouths with pretty bigteeth today. Kinda browny yellow in color with white tipped fins. Got alot from the boat near a island and quite a few from shore point when the wind got bad.
im guessing they were Pickerel
Nope I think your wrong Chubb that sound like those durn "BASS" you know that invasive creature that is just eating up every fish in NB and NS. Oh they are the most dangerous thing on the earth they have all most single handedly destroyed the fishing industry on the east cost I hear their going after the whales next. Their just waiting for the "environmental terrorist warm water bucket brigade" to load them up in their home depot pails and carry them to the Atlantic Ocean.At least I think that's what some guy was trying to say ...Who knows. Maybe your right their just Pickerel.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
....wutever,jest sayin,pickerel,REAL pickerel,that being Chain Pickerel,are another invasive menace in the Maritimes that are for some reason popular with the environmental terrorist,warmwater bucket brigade crowd.Possibly because they are a stupidly easy to catch eating machine and will hit anything you throw at them that they can wrap their toothy mouths around and then some,from trout flies to newborn ducklings and everything in between.FWIW,Chain Pickerel are in fact native to NB....SMB are NOT.The only thing I "detest" is the morons that spread these invasives around from one watershed to another to the detrement of my beloved salmonids.I don't actually detest any species,I just wish the idiots would leave them where they belong and stop trying to create new "fisheries for dummies" that don't have the skill or patience to angle for more challenging,spirited fish.The initial explosive,topwater strike of Chain Picks is actually kinda fun,but within a few seconds they are played out and have all the spirit and fight of a snagged beaver stick.

wutever
Grinr, your preaching on the wrong site to people who don't understand or care as long as they have something to catch.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper28 View Post
Grinr, your preaching on the wrong site to people who don't understand or care as long as they have something to catch.