Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: fishing courses needed?
yes, so we can save our lakes and rivers 70 41.92%
No way 98 58.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Banned

Whats a blow out?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
....and they should definitely have a course for those that want to take it! i would go .. why not its a learning curve..and maybe a chance to save fish for many years to come!
Fill your boots.

http://www.aheia.com/serve_content.c...onton%20Conv#B

Alberta Fishing Education Program
Cost of the Program: by donation.
There are no fees for any of our courses. However, A.H.E.I.A. is a registered charity and we are happy to issue a tax receipt for any donation. It is through these much needed donations that A.H.E.I.A. continues to provide quality Conservation Education programs to Albertans of all ages.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Whats a blow out?
A haircut
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Fill your boots.

http://www.aheia.com/serve_content.c...onton%20Conv#B

Alberta Fishing Education Program
Cost of the Program: by donation.
There are no fees for any of our courses. However, A.H.E.I.A. is a registered charity and we are happy to issue a tax receipt for any donation. It is through these much needed donations that A.H.E.I.A. continues to provide quality Conservation Education programs to Albertans of all ages.
It'll be interesting to see how many people from the thread take the course.

Please, let us know how it goes!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM

Default fishing course

AHEIA (alberta hunter education instructors association) offers the alberta fishing education course it is similar to the hunter training course but it is not that popular because it is not mandatory. I think they may have a couple a year out of the edmonton office, whereas they run several hunter ed courses. I vote "no". Before you can get your licence you should take a species id course.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many people from the thread take the course.

Please, let us know how it goes!
Indeed, there should be at least 42 people on the next course. In fact, I'm willing to bet that they'd put on a special course for that many people.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Default Hunterdave

I really dont understand you! You just dont get it! Thats okAy tho its not your fault.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM

How about you folks have a look @ the results of Govt fish ID testing.

See: classes.uleth.ca/200901/biol4500a/Readings/Stelfox3.pdf

Most failed. Some a lot.

Now do you need a course?

Maybe - although I'd expect that most that fish for walleye, pike, whitefish, perch on lakes should have a clue. The trouty folks are scary.

Don
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
I really dont understand you! You just dont get it! Thats okAy tho its not your fault.
By that I take it that you aren't going to take the course?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
How about you folks have a look @ the results of Govt fish ID testing.

See: classes.uleth.ca/200901/biol4500a/Readings/Stelfox3.pdf

Most failed. Some a lot.

Now do you need a course?

Maybe - although I'd expect that most that fish for walleye, pike, whitefish, perch on lakes should have a clue. The trouty folks are scary.

Don

Lets just make all Trout catch and release then no problem......jk
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Lets just make all Trout catch and release then no problem......jk
I miss the days when I was a kid and could walk down to the crowsnest river with a bag of worms and catch my mom and dad dinner.oh how times change....
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM

I voted "yes" but not because I like more regulations but because of how many times I've seen on this and other forums people saying they caught something (like a brown trout) and then you look at the pic and it's a rainbow. Possession limits are another thing that too few know much about.

And education of youth for C&R and lower retention is a good thing but I just don't think some people get it. Look at HunterDave, he's been "educated" several times on this thread and others and he still hasn't learned much of a lesson.

There a couple of very easy solutions to do this without infringing on anyone's "freedoms."
- option 1- roll it into the hunting course and call it an outdoorsman course. At least put fish identification into it. Any new WIN users would need to take the course but everyone else gets grandfathered in. I don't think that would infringe on anyone's rights would it?

- option 2 - Make all fishing licenses only available online. Before you can buy your license, you have to have read through the regs (that will also be online) and take a test with 10 random questions from the regs to make sure that you actually read through the thing. When you get 10/10 you get a password to get your license. My vote is for this one because it's simple, fast, cheap, but would be effective. How many of us grab the regs and then never open the thing? A ton, I'm sure.

Cheers.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

I think a rod and tackle registration is in order!

Fishing course is a great concept. Problem is it again only makes most people who know what's going on jump through more hoops. It won't stop poachers, it won't stop people taking what they want. The individuals who are responsible will know well ahead of time what they are targeting or will seek out the information ahead of time. The rest will remain to be idiots. It is now your legal responsibility to know what the heck you are pulling out of the water in order to determine if it is permissible to add to you possession limit. Courses should be available to those who want them, but to make everyone take one is a little to much. If it would stop poaching, and actually make a significant difference then I would be all for it. But unfortunately human nature dictates that those who don't follow the rules, well.....just won't follow the rules. Course or no course.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
jrs

One would be a fool to think it would make any difference. Hunter's take a course prior to getting a licence, the number of poachers/ guys ignoring rules is still significant. Just ticket the guys who can't read and CHOOSE to ignore the regs, they'll figure it out after getting caught a few times. This isn't a nanny state, figure out how to id fish or stick to the put and take ponds. I didn't go hunting before knowing elk and moose were different animals...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
I voted "yes" but not because I like more regulations but because of how many times I've seen on this and other forums people saying they caught something (like a brown trout) and then you look at the pic and it's a rainbow. Possession limits are another thing that too few know much about.

And education of youth for C&R and lower retention is a good thing but I just don't think some people get it. Look at HunterDave, he's been "educated" several times on this thread and others and he still hasn't learned much of a lesson.

There a couple of very easy solutions to do this without infringing on anyone's "freedoms."
- option 1- roll it into the hunting course and call it an outdoorsman course. At least put fish identification into it. Any new WIN users would need to take the course but everyone else gets grandfathered in. I don't think that would infringe on anyone's rights would it?

- option 2 - Make all fishing licenses only available online. Before you can buy your license, you have to have read through the regs (that will also be online) and take a test with 10 random questions from the regs to make sure that you actually read through the thing. When you get 10/10 you get a password to get your license. My vote is for this one because it's simple, fast, cheap, but would be effective. How many of us grab the regs and then never open the thing? A ton, I'm sure.

Cheers.
How would this be affective I know a guy who took the boaters test for at least 10 different people.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another fisherman View Post
To many people go fishing not havin a clue about the rules and regs and we all see people breaking rules and regs.Some people are just stupid poachers that are hurting our fisheries but I believe some people are just uninformed a course would be great.It would also teach people how to release fish properly which lets face it alot of people dont know how.
A voluntary course would be great. I'd probably take it out of interest. But I'd say that the vast majority of current fishermen have been able to read the regulations, understand them, and act legally. What proven, verified, widespread problem would a mandatory course be fixing? I think all it would be doing is increasing bureaucracy and diverting precious dollars away from enforcement and management programs.

If you want to conduct a public awareness campaign on how to effectively release fish, that would be great. But PLEASE don't suggest more government control and hoops to jump through than we already have.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Do you really think a fishing course is the answer to peoples ignorance in following the regulations that we already have. Every one has to take a course to drive and follow the laws but you would never would know it when you are out on are roads.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM

I'm not sure if my 4 yr old would get alot out of such a course. Mind you she wouldn't need a license til she was 16, so with that being said, do we put a course on for 16 and up or from 2 yrs old and up?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyfish View Post
Every one has to take a course to drive.
Since when? Gawd I'm getting old. Back in the dark ages when I grew up we just had to take a written test and a road test. Courses were voluntary. Damn government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM

What I'd like to see rather than a full blown course is a comparative side-by-side chart for regulations/species/bait etc for each province... we move every two years and can sometimes end up going from NS to NWT and all points in between.. that's a lot of rules to remember - all with their unique regulations - drives me nuts when I'm out and I'm..."I know there is a rule but is the one I'm thinking of for this province?"...lol...out comes the regulations to check. I'd just like to be able to look up quickly and see what are the differences so I can adapt my tackle box/bait/times to be legal without spending days reading fishing rule books.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
If were going to bring something like that in, why not bring in a fishing rod registry while were at it. Makes about the same amount of sense.
i agree !!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Dont get me wrong, i think you are right, but when push comes to shove, things get taken to far. In my opinion people do need education, but no more regulations need to be introduced. Like look, to hunt we have to take a 200-300 dollar course, sure its every so many years, but imagine if that happened with fishing. But people need to stop being such donkeys about it and not respecting the fish. Your raise a great point.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
camogirl

Quote:

Cheers.
yes! i like this post !
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM

If someone is getting or renewing their WIN card to purchase a fishing license, it wouldn't hurt to have a 20-25 question identification test of Alberta fish species. I have honestly been out when some people thought a Northern Pike was a Rainbow Trout. I mean, come on lol. Most of us on here would pass the test with flying colours. Some people going for their catch limit might not know the difference between a brook trout and a bull trout (Alberta's provincial/protected fish) though. THere used to be a Alberta Fish Identification Quiz on the SRD website for Alberta. It was actually pretty good, but looks like it isn't there anymore.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Obviously there should be a course to get a fishing licence... there is a course for every other licence out there.
exactly what we need, another govt. money grab and more intrusive and irritating paperwork. a quick sidenote, i'm amazed that cyclests dont have to take a course and pay yearly fees for their bicycles
Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Default NO

Good intention - Bad idea

You don't take a course to uderstand the regulations. Regulations change all the time. Everybody here can read, you must read and apply the regulations. What more do you want? Carry a fish identification chart with you if you have to. You never know what you are going to pull out of the water until it's on top of the water. Take your time and identify it before keeping it. It's not like hunting where you must identify what you are shooting before you fire at it. You can actually cross a fence with your rod in hand!!! You need instruction on how to crimp a barb? How strong is 6lb test?

All those if favor of more courses/laws...............I don't get it.

Go away with this stuff. The poll isn't in favour.......so I'm on the winning side (flame that).

Don't forget your helmet when fishing white water!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Look at HunterDave, he's been "educated" several times on this thread and others and he still hasn't learned much of a lesson.
Oh I have, have I. And what education would that be.......cuz a course is required to go hunting? Let me offer you this......when you shoot a mule deer instead of a whitetail it's gone, period. There is no hatchery anywhere in Alberta that grows mule deer to replace it. IMO comparing fish as a resource to big game is absolutely ludicrous and a poor argument for making a fishing course mandatory. I don't think that I need to point out the obvious differences between a rifle and a fishing rod.......do I? Think.

I find what I have read on this forum in the past week about growing trophy fish to catch, creating more C&R waters in the name of better fishing, making a fishing course mandatory in the name of saving our fish, deeply disturbing. But I guess that there will always be people in our society that want to take things to extremes. Take these people for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_JPcBwYGmo

Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM

I just don't see pure ignorance as the big problem with fish management/poaching. IMO a large majority of damage is done by poachers/rule breakers that CHOOSE to ignore the rules. The guy going out fishing with his kid once every three years and making the odd innocent mistake ID'ing a fish is not a huge threat to the system at least IMO. Unfortunately no course or test is going to make a person take the ethical route and therein lies the problem. Same goes for driving, boating, hunting etc. Lots of tests and courses to pass yet still plenty of schmucks out breaking the laws.

No problem with a voluntary program aimed at people just starting out who want to learn or people who want to expand their knowledge. I'm all for that.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM

You need a course for those activities (hunting,boating,driving) because it is a 'safety' issue.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Oh I have, have I. And what education would that be.......cuz a course is required to go hunting? Let me offer you this......when you shoot a mule deer instead of a whitetail it's gone, period. There is no hatchery anywhere in Alberta that grows mule deer to replace it. IMO comparing fish as a resource to big game is absolutely ludicrous and a poor argument for making a fishing course mandatory. I don't think that I need to point out the obvious differences between a rifle and a fishing rod.......do I? Think.

I find what I have read on this forum in the past week about growing trophy fish to catch, creating more C&R waters in the name of better fishing, making a fishing course mandatory in the name of saving our fish, deeply disturbing. But I guess that there will always be people in our society that want to take things to extremes. Take these people for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_JPcBwYGmo

Seeing a fatal car crash is deeply disturbing. Reading others opinions regarding trophy fish and C&R on an internet forum shouldn't be deeply disturbing to you. You need to log off.