Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
So where are pictures of the dead fish then Sherlock. Personally I think you fall under this category:

-----
wea·sel (wzl) n.
A person regarded as sneaky or treacherous.

intr.v. wea·seled also wea·selled, wea·sel·ing also wea·sel·ling, wea·sels also wea·sels

To be evasive; equivocate.

Phrasal Verb:
weasel out Informal
To back out of a situation or commitment in a sneaky or cowardly manner.
-----
I was at Dolberg Friday and Saturday and saw that person. He wasn't there for his kid, it was all about filling his bucket. I don't think he even let his kid enjoy reeling one in. He was fishing Friday night until dark and Saturday morning at first light until dark "surfing" fish in. (hook set then reel in fast on top of the water) This guy wanted meat, not for sport or enjoyment. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to head down to Superstore and pick a trout from there?

He wasn't the only one either, most of the boats on the lake were doing the same. How do I know? because we were camped next to the fish cleaning station. One guy in a group says, "boy we sure hauled them in today, didn't we?" the other guy says, "ya we must have at least 25 in there". The first guys who's starting clean them says "It's getting dark, I'll just clean the 2 bigger ones and feed the rest to the dogs"

Dolberg's just another stocked fishbowl for people to exploit.

When you can gut hook more fish on marshmallows and cheese than beadheads or backswimmers I'm done. After a sleepless night from fireworks, yelling (everyone wake the f#@* up) and loud music, thanks to the Gregg Distrbutor ********s, my son and I packed up and went over to Peanut (dead lake) lake where another group of people were using the unsupervised campground as a party zone.

Very disappointing.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser fulvescens View Post
I was at Dolberg Friday and Saturday and saw that person. He wasn't there for his kid, it was all about filling his bucket. I don't think he even let his kid enjoy reeling one in. He was fishing Friday night until dark and Saturday morning at first light until dark "surfing" fish in. (hook set then reel in fast on top of the water) This guy wanted meat, not for sport or enjoyment. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to head down to Superstore and pick a trout from there?

He wasn't the only one either, most of the boats on the lake were doing the same. How do I know? because we were camped next to the fish cleaning station. One guy in a group says, "boy we sure hauled them in today, didn't we?" the other guy says, "ya we must have at least 25 in there". The first guys who's starting clean them says "It's getting dark, I'll just clean the 2 bigger ones and feed the rest to the dogs"

When you can gut hook more fish on marshmallows and cheese than beadheads or backswimmers I'm done. After a sleepless night from fireworks, yelling (everyone wake the f#@* up) and loud music, thanks to the Gregg Distrbutor ********s, my son and I packed up and went over to Peanut (dead lake) lake where another group of people were using the unsupervised campground as a party zone.

Very disappointing.
Not a pretty picture indeed.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 AM

There is a difference between bad behavior and poor morals and judgment and breaking the law.

I hear what was said about this guy in it for meat...that is sad but not unusual. I had posted before about people sending an email to Jim Stelfox requesting the limit in some put and take lakes from 5 down to 2 in order to prolong the harvest. Everyone can call and that regulation will still allow people to have a feed of fish but not be greedy.

Now I have fished with kids and depending upon the age they have varying patience levels. I find kids will fish for 20 minutes to 60 minutes and then take a break and do other stuff and come back...never going far. When there is action they rush back to reel in the fish. If this guy was doing all the casting and reeling then that is very sad for him cause he is missing out with his child.

Nothing illegal but morally sad. Using a kid to be greedy and get more fish in the sack is very sad. I saw a family of 9 on the banks of the Saskatchewan River fishing one day. There was a rod holder in front of Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa and 5 kids...one in a playpen. All legal...but sad. Maybe there should be a catch and release requirement for kids in Alberta or have them put their fish on the Adult's limit unless they buy a licence.

That one change would probably correct a lot of behavior.

Anyways...I checked the photo...and I see barbed hooks.

Sun
Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser fulvescens View Post

Very disappointing.
Yep, now that sounds disappointing indeed. There is no call for that kind of behaviour. I have never run into anything like that I do find it a bit hard to fathom.

So did you witness this particular gentleman, the one Cal first spoke of actually culling fish?

If this is what truly was happening then my comments were out of line and I apologize.

P.S. I'd edit my post but there seems to be no edit...wonder if there is a time limit on editing now.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 PM

I would personally slap the kid around and throw the father into a shark infested pool !!! LOL,
this thread is a waste of internet space !!!
what a joke !!! amusing though, keep them coming , but also concider thinking how cool and rational it is for the government to keep stocking lakes that winter kill every year !!!! but hey that's just ok that thousands of fish have to die by poor planning , but here throw the father and son to jail just because they culled 2 stocked trout !!!
Great approach !!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM

People also have to think that unless you saw him take a fish off a stringer and throw back there is a strong possibility he was just poorly releasing them while the water was to warm and they were just sinking to the bottom to die. Poor catch and release methods kill way more trout than culling by a few bad apples IMHO.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 PM

Default !!!

fully agree BigIrv!!!!
at least this guy's tryin' to help.
we need way more people who give a sh!t in this province and way less arrogant poachers who could care less
and deanmc, read before you reply.
my point went 7 feet over your head.
paul, keep up the good work...i know it seems like it but NOT ALL albertans are a-holes!!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
People also have to think that unless you saw him take a fish off a stringer and throw back there is a strong possibility he was just poorly releasing them while the water was to warm and they were just sinking to the bottom to die. Poor catch and release methods kill way more trout than culling by a few bad apples IMHO.
Exactly I couldnt agree anymore with you . Its kind of funny , people think they know the proper way to release a fish . I honestly feel that it should be mandatory for people to take a Outdoor ed course , upon getting there Win card ( Wildlife Identification Number ) card . I think this would limit unneeded killed fish , wounded wildlife . I see now that they are starting to make it mandatory to have people do so for hunting as of 2010 . Have to pass a test to be legal . I know in school there use to be an Outdoor Education course in both Middle school and High School . I greatly think this would make a huge change threw the hunting and fishing community . And would limit people as you've said from having 5 and 10 lines with the baby in the car seat or stroller .
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Exactly I couldnt agree anymore with you . Its kind of funny , people think they know the proper way to release a fish . I honestly feel that it should be mandatory for people to take a Outdoor ed course , upon getting there Win card ( Wildlife Identification Number ) card . I think this would limit unneeded killed fish , wounded wildlife . I see now that they are starting to make it mandatory to have people do so for hunting as of 2010 . Have to pass a test to be legal . I know in school there use to be an Outdoor Education course in both Middle school and High School . I greatly think this would make a huge change threw the hunting and fishing community . And would limit people as you've said from having 5 and 10 lines with the baby in the car seat or stroller .
What course are you talking about for 2010?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
fully agree BigIrv!!!!
at least this guy's tryin' to help.
we need way more people who give a sh!t in this province and way less arrogant poachers who could care less
and deanmc, read before you reply.
my point went 7 feet over your head.
Paul, keep up the good work...i know it seems like it but NOT ALL albertans are a-holes!!!!!
You are right I missed the 49 other guys part. Wasn't expecting that ridiculous of an scenario.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
What course BBJ?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 AM
troller

He is talking about this:

Notice: After 2009, the Alberta Hunter Competency Exam will be discontinued. Subject to any exceptions noted in this guide, those who meet first-time hunter competency in 2010 must successfully complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Default Fishing education course

Many years ago, I took a fishing education course in junior high school. It was the same format, etc as the hunter ed course. I wonder if that course still exists? I haven't heard anything about it since then.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 AM

there used to be a guy at Earnest Morrow jr high that did a fishing course after school....but he quit a couple years after i finished grade 9, havent seen him since.....dontknow if he moved it at all or not
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 AM

to my understanding, if the kid is not around (as shown in the second photo) his line has to be out of the water. the second picture shows the adult fishing with 2 lines, which is illegal is it not?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM

So same old same old just under another name and just as effective. You of course all took hunter competency exam right? You never just checked off that you had previously had the Hunter Ed course or a hunting lic elsewhere?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Theres a good call 209.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 08-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Theres a good call 209.
Seconds thoughts on burning BBJ like you did before the edit?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, just cause im feelin nice.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Yup, just cause im feelin nice.
Why, did someone not have the correct paper work?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Who cares
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerloop View Post
So fishing with a kid is Illegal these days? hahaha wow! fishing musta been slow > sneaking around taking pictures of a guy trying to take his kid fishing and calling him in for it> no wonder they didnt send anyone they have better things to do like catch actual poachers!
I agree with you,this guy must have to much time on your hands,plus even if one of the rods was the kids your allowed to be like 30meters or something away for it.SHake your head paul
Old 08-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambski View Post
Who cares
Well lots of people care about a fellow fishing with his kid it seems. I guess some people are just about the law?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Wow!!!!...yet another thread that brings out the lawyers and holier-than-thou's.!!!!

gotta be a record here for how many on this sit are correct and everyone else is stupid....SHEESH!!!!!!...no wonder new members are scared to say anything.....and why I seldom do....
Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Wow!!!!...yet another thread that brings out the lawyers and holier-than-thou's.!!!!

gotta be a record here for how many on this sit are correct and everyone else is stupid....SHEESH!!!!!!...no wonder new members are scared to say anything.....and why I seldom do....
barely any room here for us sinners!!!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM

As my signature says... There are saints and sinners on the forum...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post

824 posts, it is too bad you have to restrain yourself hal, LOL. Hey I just asked a question which it seems everyone knows the answer to other than myself. On a post where several want to arrest the fellow fishing I asked if someone had gotten their hunting license under false pretenses, and breaking the law. Nothing lawyerly about it hal, did the person lie or not, straight fort ward yes or no answer to that one.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 PM

I would say the only thing Paul C is guilty of is telling anyone what he saw or what he did about it. If I did report someone and not saying whether I have or have not, one thing for sure is not a soul would know about it.But that is just me
Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
I took this picture at Dolberg Aug. 9, 2009. This photo shows illegal activity but according to the government it does not show the hooks on the line and there has been cases that would argue that maybe this is just straighting of the lines. When I contacted F&W they asked me to pick up the dead fish (small ones) that he was letting go but died a short time later. This person had culled the fish to take home larger ones. The child in this photo had no interest of fishing. F&W were very short staffed this day. I froze the fish as per there request. So the question remains how much proof do you actually need to stop this behavior ? Could the local police step in ? What are your suggestions ?
I never really answered the original question.
As with any criminal matter "Beyond a reasonable doubt " should apply. Your original post with pictures definitely left reasonable doubt in my mind. However after reading the other poster that witnessed the event I am much more convinced some laws were being broken. IMO without F&W being there I think you have very little chance of doing any good.
I doubt that the RCMP would even come out. Perhaps if you had a video??

Sorry to jump to conclusions so early on in the thread. good to see you were trying to do what you could to stop this.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Thumbs down Dolberg Poaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I never really answered the original question.
As with any criminal matter "Beyond a reasonable doubt " should apply. Your original post with pictures definitely left reasonable doubt in my mind. However after reading the other poster that witnessed the event I am much more convinced some laws were being broken. IMO without F&W being there I think you have very little chance of doing any good.
I doubt that the RCMP would even come out. Perhaps if you had a video??

Sorry to jump to conclusions so early on in the thread. good to see you were trying to do what you could to stop this.
Thx you for your comments Deamc,
The fish this person released was caught with Barbed hooks and released after tearing the hooks from the gills. He was bait running to catch fish which means the hook goes in quite deep. I did walk on the dock to net the first one that had died. Local police will come if called. Most of the RCmp located in area pp2 are educated and can inforce the f&W regs. The legal system is often abused and tested the the max. I really feel sorry the f &W officers because there hands are tied because of high priced defense lawyers.
Thx !