Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Ice fishing for pike set ups

I was curious to know what most of you use when ice fishing for pike? Most of my limited amount of ice fishing has been for trout, and I'd like to get out on Keho Lake again one of these days. Any tips? (besides don't blow away?)
Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM

It is pretty basic. With tip-up just drop large smelt on the bottom and wait. Or you can use jig and minnow and keep jigging. They will slam it eventualy.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM

I always use a Big trebel hook with a hearing or smelt.you can jig it or use it for the tip up and keep it close to the bottom.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Do most guys just use treble hooks for smelts, herring, etc., or do some use those two pronged hooks that you wire through a smelt (or what ever bait)?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

if you use good quality hooks it lets you drop down in hook size, we get more hits in my estimation with size 8-10 . tip ups have advantage most days smelt or suckers would be my bait of choice. on occasion jigging proves effective. I use a small rattle trap with marker pen perch stripes, in very clear water the blue and silver gets the nod
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM

the bigger the smelt, the bigger the fish!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines View Post
the bigger the smelt, the bigger the fish!
caught my biggest pike 22 1/2 pounds on a 2 inch minnow . also caught a 6 inch pike on a bait as big as him.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM

the powers in control are discussing Swedish and Gorge hooks , I recomeend people not use either. Alot of fish braining and raker damage occurs.

The knot2kinky leader material and the spintech hooks make the best quick strike rigs ive ever seen.
With the spintech hooks a pike can do a gator death roll and not rip out hooks. Remember too large a treble only gives a fish leverage to bend a hook, like a snipe on a wrench

all my biggest pike have come on 10inch+ mackeral, fished nose down or laying on bottom. As the winter gets old and into spring Pike are used to feeding on winter kills.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM

smelt with your choice of hook on a hillbilly tip-up..windshield wash bottle tied to your line set back from the hole, jug goes dancing you got a one, and they cant pull it though the hole.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
the powers in control are discussing Swedish and Gorge hooks , I recomeend people not use either. Alot of fish braining and raker damage occurs.

The knot2kinky leader material and the spintech hooks make the best quick strike rigs ive ever seen.
With the spintech hooks a pike can do a gator death roll and not rip out hooks. Remember too large a treble only gives a fish leverage to bend a hook, like a snipe on a wrench

all my biggest pike have come on 10inch+ mackeral, fished nose down or laying on bottom. As the winter gets old and into spring Pike are used to feeding on winter kills.
what test K2K are you using? I got some 55 pound test and cant tie a knot in it, have to pick up some sleeves eventually I guess. Looked at some youtubes of those hooks, they look pretty interesting, wonder how many decades it will be before they show up in Brooks?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 01-17-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
what test K2K are you using? I got some 55 pound test and cant tie a knot in it, have to pick up some sleeves eventually I guess. Looked at some youtubes of those hooks, they look pretty interesting, wonder how many decades it will be before they show up in Brooks?

im using 25lb and its way under rated........if you anchor the swiwel or hook end its a easy process.
WC when we get together remind me, i have a good supply of spintechs.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
im using 25lb and its way under rated........if you anchor the swiwel or hook end its a easy process.
WC when we get together remind me, i have a good supply of spintechs.
just looked up the website, they must be made of platinum!!! look pretty awesome though. have to go old school tomorrow I guess.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
caught my biggest pike 22 1/2 pounds on a 2 inch minnow . also caught a 6 inch pike on a bait as big as him.
That was obviously an exception.. For the most part, Bigger the bait, bigger the fish... If a pike has an option to take a 2 inch minnow or a 6 inch smelt it will take the smelt every time.. It's the same amount of energy expenditure for a bigger meal.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 PM

I like to use a rod and reel for big pike. Just deadstick a fresh smelt(superstore sells em for 8 bucks for a big bag) a couple feet from bottom. With the rod, just loosen up the drag enough to set the hook when they take it, but loose enough to let them run. Put a bell on it and your good to go!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
That was obviously an exception.. For the most part, Bigger the bait, bigger the fish... If a pike has an option to take a 2 inch minnow or a 6 inch smelt it will take the smelt every time.. It's the same amount of energy expenditure for a bigger meal.
just depends on what you drop in front of their nose. Ive had an 8 inch herring and a 3 inch minnow side by side, pike ignored the herring and took the minnow, but only because I jigged it. also had a 3 pound walleye try to eat the same herring when the minnow was beside it. decided to eat the minnow too when I jigged it, sometimes its all about the motion. posted video of both. but thats fishing, its different pretty much every time, thats what keeps it interesting. I too prefer to catch my pike on a rod instead of a tipup, but thats just my personal preference.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

Cool

I hit the trout pond at dickson get a few 10" odd suckers kill them,small owner trebles,I use a bait needle run through just behind the head,pop out at the dorsal fin try to get center of balance.it takes a little practice be careful it is easy to get your hand.pull the wire leader back thru clip on hook bury one point in the skull of the sucker good to go pike eat fish head first
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I hit the trout pond at dickson get a few 10" odd suckers kill them,small owner trebles,I use a bait needle run through just behind the head,pop out at the dorsal fin try to get center of balance.it takes a little practice be careful it is easy to get your hand.pull the wire leader back thru clip on hook bury one point in the skull of the sucker good to go pike eat fish head first
Ive watched them eat bait head first, tail first, and sideways, sometimes they are really picky and grab where they dont see a hook, sometimes they dont care if they see it. when they get really hook shy I downsize my bait and use a single treble pushed up through the middle of the small bait. some pike come in at 100 miles an hour and smash the bait, some sneak in and sit there and push it around with their nose then either eat it or leave. helps to give it a bit of a jig if they are just staring at it, or it will scare them off, depends on the fish and the day I guess. learn a lot watching them on a camera or down the hole in shallow water.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Ive watched them eat bait head first, tail first, and sideways, sometimes they are really picky and grab where they dont see a hook, sometimes they dont care if they see it. when they get really hook shy I downsize my bait and use a single treble pushed up through the middle of the small bait. some pike come in at 100 miles an hour and smash the bait, some sneak in and sit there and push it around with their nose then either eat it or leave. helps to give it a bit of a jig if they are just staring at it, or it will scare them off, depends on the fish and the day I guess. learn a lot watching them on a camera or down the hole in shallow water.
not sure, they may hit a bait from any direction but I am quite sure they have to turn their food to the head first position,un less we are talking big big then yes they eat any way they like.what I want to know is why they eat wire worms and such. friends and I watched a monster at sylvan have a go a 8-9" mackerl then take a poke at a wire worm,what gives??
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM

I'd go with either tip up or as the regulations allow you 2 lines during ice fishing have a rod aswell jigging spoons jigs bait rig what ever excites you , you'll want to use at minimum medium to medium action rod with a baitcaster with some heavy braided line , and fluro leader and you'd be set all day long . For myself I'm running the st Croix medium heavy rod wit my shamano Callisto or sometimes my shamano Corvalus . Both good ros only difference is the Callisto is a low profile reel .
Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
not sure, they may hit a bait from any direction but I am quite sure they have to turn their food to the head first position,un less we are talking big big then yes they eat any way they like.what I want to know is why they eat wire worms and such. friends and I watched a monster at sylvan have a go a 8-9" mackerl then take a poke at a wire worm,what gives??
Ive lost wireworms to pike too, Ive seen them eating little waterboatmen too, I guess when they are hungry they are hungry, or just like to bite things, or both, except some days my hooks

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Ive lost wireworms to pike too, Ive seen them eating little waterboatmen too, I guess when they are hungry they are hungry, or just like to bite things, or both, except some days my hooks
yes just annoying. that is why I believe in the solunar tables,we have a spot on pine you can see them all day and no touches the table says prime time bang you cant keep them off. and my fave if you see a crow cross a lake that is prime end of prime is the return flight.