Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Opening day on Glenmore Reservoir is May 1.

Interesting. Pike spawning will be long finished. I think that it is to protect the big Browns. I used to catch them last week of April in the narrow water channel that develops along the shore at that time. This delayed opening protects these fish so that fishing starts after all the ice on the main reservoir is gone.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

and the rainbows on a late spawn get good protection too. But it's awesome for the pike, they just get slaughtered, it will be nice to see them get big in there again.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM

I thought it was open year round ? is this a new law?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Yup. Brand new regulation for 2011 angling season.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
Interesting. Pike spawning will be long finished. I think that it is to protect the big Browns. I used to catch them last week of April in the narrow water channel that develops along the shore at that time. This delayed opening protects these fish so that fishing starts after all the ice on the main reservoir is gone.
In the Elbow...Browns, Whitefish, Bulls and Brookies spawn in the Fall. Pike will spawn right after ice out.. Cutts and any rainbows spawn in the Spring...but after May 1st. Definitely May 1 to protect pike.

Maybe it is May 1st to keep people off the reservoir?

As for regs http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Elbow River
from headwaters downstream to Elbow Falls (16-22-6-W5) & tributaries except Quirk Creek.
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other Trout limit 0; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED
from Elbow Falls downstream to Canyon Creek – CLOSED
from Canyon Creek downstream to Hwy 22 - River only
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Bait Ban.
from Hwy 22 downstream to Glenmore Reservoir and tributaries
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm: Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
from Glenmore Reservoir downstream to Bow River
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

Glenmore Reservoir
May 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 15; Bait fish not allowed.
Nov. 1 to Apr. 30 – CLOSED

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE LEGALLY THE ELBOW ENDS AND THE RESERVOIR STARTS...

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-05-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Cool thanks for the update. i need to read more,
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM

well. i disagree
this reg is the absolute worst thing they could have done.
the best time to remove pike from this lake was during the spawn right after ice out
now the trout will perish as the pike grow bigger and out compete the trout for food
what a dissapointment
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstalker View Post
well. i disagree
this reg is the absolute worst thing they could have done.
the best time to remove pike from this lake was during the spawn right after ice out
now the trout will perish as the pike grow bigger and out compete the trout for food
what a dissapointment
I guess it depends what fishery people want in the reservoir...and also how fishable it is...or at least what fishing pressure it gets. It seems to get little attention.

Who wants it to be a trout fishery and who wants a pike fishery?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM

There definetly needs to be more attention paid to this fishery. It receives enormous pressure in the summer. I used to get big Browns in here, but now all I catch are smallish hammer handle pike. I would like to see both the pike and trout fishing improve again. The trout limit should be 1 under 50cm. The current limit of 5 trout any size is absurd. Just try to catch 5 of those big trout in a day, let alone a year!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

At one time both pike and trout co-existed just fine and mighty large,, I've never met a CO there ever so maybe they read a thread or two from last year, this is good.

The very first fish I ever caught was a 15" Perch on the Dam side of the bridge, threw it back and caught a six pound pike my next cast, I was 10 years old,, hooked forever.

Glenmore is an intermediate, patient fishing, body of water,,, apparently both Walleye and Kokanee were introduced there too,,, I can't see the latter making a go of it but I like to beleive that there is a school of monster Walleye eluding even the masters of us (cough** I'm not one of them).
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 PM

where is there access to fishing spots?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
where is there access to fishing spots?
everywhere
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

i would love to find some of the perch in there. I do somewhat doubt they are still in there. but there is access from pretty much everywere. # most common accesspoints are the east glenmore park / west glenmore park or the heritage park docks. there is a bike path that skirts the lake. good size burbot in there as well. This would be a good place for harsh rules. its a great place for families to go fishing / picnic. and there are big fish in there. they just need to be protected. if anyone knows where the perch are in this lake, let me know. (cough**gustav**cough)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 PM

The perch are still in there. Get in a canoe, they tend to be a bit offshore.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 AM

I personally think these regulations are great. I would like to see a better fishery in the reservoir. I have caught a few browns and lots of pike from there and only one of the pike was worth bragging about. The rest were all tiny.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
There definetly needs to be more attention paid to this fishery. It receives enormous pressure in the summer. I used to get big Browns in here, but now all I catch are smallish hammer handle pike. I would like to see both the pike and trout fishing improve again. The trout limit should be 1 under 50cm. The current limit of 5 trout any size is absurd. Just try to catch 5 of those big trout in a day, let alone a year!
Interesting quote on there being enormous pressure. I used to walk around the reservoir daily...for a time...hardly ever saw anyone fishing. Those I saw fishing were 99% from shore. Driving over the causeway you can often spot people sitting in the usual places...but beside a couple shore spots being "busy" the balance of the lake seems very under utilized. Is this a wrong assessment?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Interesting quote on there being enormous pressure. I used to walk around the reservoir daily...for a time...hardly ever saw anyone fishing. Those I saw fishing were 99% from shore. Driving over the causeway you can often spot people sitting in the usual places...but beside a couple shore spots being "busy" the balance of the lake seems very under utilized. Is this a wrong assessment?
I would agree with that. Not that often someone is seen fishing there.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

this is true. the most common fished spots are the easy access spots like those that I posted. hardly anyone fished from boat there. Seen a couple guys who had kayaks rigged up.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Banned

It's a steady daily number (though the 90th avenue side does see a better chunk of people),, whereas other high pressure lakes see big numbers come the weekend, the rez get that spread over the week, it's also not so easy to notice people fishing like a prairie lake either and a lot of fisherfolk (sans 90th ave.) shore walk.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 PM

I agree not many boat fishermen: and that as little as 5 years ago there were not as many shore fishermen. Now, in the summer, I have personally counted as many as 35 fishermen around the point and bays at the boat club on the south side at oakridge. I have also seen a dozen fishermen down near weaselhead, which is not a large area to fish, so it is almost shoulder to shoulder. Pike aren't tough to catch, and I always see someone reeling one in, if there are upwards of 20 people in a stretch of shoreline on a given evening. I also note that I have never seen a big pike caught by these fishermen. The pike near shore simply dont have a chance to grow big anymore. The pressure tapers off a lot in the fall, which is good, because that is when the big browns are active. But those huge trout are (and always have been) VERY difficult to catch, so they can handle some pressure. i just think more needs to be done, as this fishery has the potential to produce some of the largest Brown trout in Alberta, as well as much bigger pike than it currently yields.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I agree not many boat fishermen: and that as little as 5 years ago there were not as many shore fishermen. Now, in the summer, I have personally counted as many as 35 fishermen around the point and bays at the boat club on the south side at oakridge. I have also seen a dozen fishermen down near weaselhead, which is not a large area to fish, so it is almost shoulder to shoulder. Pike aren't tough to catch, and I always see someone reeling one in, if there are upwards of 20 people in a stretch of shoreline on a given evening. I also note that I have never seen a big pike caught by these fishermen. The pike near shore simply dont have a chance to grow big anymore. The pressure tapers off a lot in the fall, which is good, because that is when the big browns are active. But those huge trout are (and always have been) VERY difficult to catch, so they can handle some pressure. i just think more needs to be done, as this fishery has the potential to produce some of the largest Brown trout in Alberta, as well as much bigger pike than it currently yields.
Theres pleanty of huge pike in shore....you just goto know where and when to target them. and what to use is always a key elelement.
right now there in dark sandy bottom bays near weed growth they target the black bottom because it warms up faster and it increases there metoblism. if you wanna get one right now get a egg weig onto a sival and a circle hook with a fat small shinner. or use bass jigs. make sure your presentation is slow as they wont be attacking spoons at the moment.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Theres pleanty of huge pike in shore....you just goto know where and when to target them. and what to use is always a key elelement.
right now there in dark sandy bottom bays near weed growth they target the black bottom because it warms up faster and it increases there metoblism. if you wanna get one right now get a egg weig onto a sival and a circle hook with a fat small shinner. or use bass jigs. make sure your presentation is slow as they wont be attacking spoons at the moment.
I think its closed
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Glenmore Reservoir
May 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 15; Bait fish not allowed.
Nov. 1 to Apr. 30 – CLOSED
and its april i was thinking may with how fast the snow was melting and the warm weather in central alberta
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Dont you worry about those pike eating up all those trout haha,
besides the mad amounts of Fresh water shrimp and scud and the all u can eat minnow population in the glenmore one of the main reasons trout are soooo big in there are because of the pike and them having to compete!!
glenmore is no stocked so the trout are just wonderers from the elbows besides the old school original stocks that may wonder about, like a silver rainbows of the past that shill appear as seen as the biggest rainbow winner of last year in the new regualtion!!!! im excited to fish the glenmore asap!!
and it wont evenbe melted till probly may anyways haha.

ps one thing ive always thought dumb is how it says No Bait Fish, but people go outside the regz and use Smelts and think its cause its not really a bait fish. i Hate That!!!! if u ever want a smack at a real beauty of a trout out of there After ice out then you better get a boat!! less than a month after ice off all those monster trout seem to disapear but trust me. They are There.

i Garantee quite a few trout around the 20pr mark are just lerking about waiting to get hooked and break your line lol many 14pdrs have been caught so bring your best Braid!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherManStan View Post
besides the mad amounts of Fresh water shrimp and scud and the all u can eat minnow population in the glenmore one of the main reasons trout are soooo big in there are because of the pike and them having to compete!!
glenmore is no stocked so the trout are just wonderers from the elbows besides the old school original stocks that may wonder about, like a silver rainbows of the past that shill appear as seen as the biggest rainbow winner of last year in the new regualtion!!!! im excited to fish the glenmore asap!!

ps one thing ive always thought dumb is how it says No Bait Fish, but people go outside the regz and use Smelts and think its cause its not really a bait fish. i Hate That!!!! if u ever want a smack at a real beauty of a trout out of there After ice out then you better get a boat!! less than a month after ice off all those monster trout seem to disapear but trust me. They are There.

i Garantee quite a few trout around the 20pr mark are just lerking about waiting to get hooked and break your line lol many 14pdrs have been caught so bring your best Braid!!!
Well the smelts aren't a baitfish, read the definitions sections of the regs. It's perfectly legal to use smelts in there.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Well the smelts aren't a baitfish, read the definitions sections of the regs. It's perfectly legal to use smelts in there.
x2. the regs explicitly state that smelts are NOT considered baitfish.

I dont think the res will be fishable for opening may 1. Ice is still choked up all the way to shore. Granted we are to be getting 10 degree weather all next week. we shall see what happens
Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

does this apply in this case too?
[QUOTE=FisherManStan;913569]
unless your fishing a bait ban catch and release area and some rude imigrint
comes and throws out some bait and catch and kills your favore big brown trout lol,
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

NEW REGS!!!!

IT'S ABOUT TIME BOYS!!!! this is good news for me because I always thought it needed some regulation. And it always seemed the res was ignored. This is just awesome. Kinda sad to see though the trout limit is still at 5, and the pike still has no size limit.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=chubbdarter;913619]does this apply in this case too?
Quote:
unless your fishing a bait ban catch and release area and some rude imigrint
comes and throws out some bait and catch and kills your favore big brown trout lol,
holy smokes chubb i thought this was your quote till i read the other thread. ouch.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=Daceminnow;913663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
does this apply in this case too?

holy smokes chubb i thought this was your quote till i read the other thread. ouch.
i try to not label fisherman by race or creed....a bad non law abiding fisherman is a bad non law abiding fisherman
Closed Thread