Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 PM

Default How can I buy crown land?

I have an area of crown land I am interested in buying if it is ever possible. Anyone ever heard how a guy could go about buying a quarter on the fringe country of farmland and bush?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Banned

Some Crown land that is under lease is available for sale. The leaseholder is the only one who can initiate a sale by indicating that they would like to purchase. An ad is placed in a newspaper indicating land is up for tender. The leaseholder tenders a bid and is given first right to match any high bid on the land.

So your chances of actually buying Crown land are somewhere between zero, and zero. Unless someone else has different info on this issue.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Gone Hunting

There used to be auctions held where you could bid and purchase crown land. If memory serves me, my Dad went up to one near Valley View about 20 years back, looked over some parcels, went to the auction but didnt buy. I think he's still kicking himself about not purchasing something, it was going for VERY cheap. Seems to me a quarter in solid bush was going for about 5 grand. Timber alone would have more than paid for the place. Im not sure if they hold any auctions like those anymore or not Nube. Might be worth checking out somehow??

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default pretty tough

I looked into this a while ago. Basically you're SOL if you want to buy it. If you can suffer with only leasing it then you MAY have a chance. You have to convince the gov't that your use for the land is for the public benefit. Something like eco tours, youth hostel for the severely handicapped or disadvantaged, an eco friendly bed and breakfast or some other such thing like that. Throw in some other crap like zero carbon emissions, top up your donation to the PC party of Alberta and you may be granted a lease.

There are some forms somewhere on the AB gov't website for application, (I can't remember where exactly).

Now, from a political standpoint, you could try running for premier and argue that the land is surplus to Albertas needs and should be sold off to generate income for the province or to drive land prices down so everyone can afford a vacation cabin. Good Luck.

Either way I'd say your chances are slim. although i'd vote for you for Premier
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM

These guys used to sell off some Crown Land, but I have not checked them out for years. Quite often they'd sell land adjacent to Crown Land too and I think still do. Unfortunately it's usually in BC or Ontario, but more often than not I'd see property for sale in AB.

http://www.dignam.com/

Cheers
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 AM

i beleive if you own land that joins this crown land yer chances are best, unless there is an oil or gas well on this 1/4 then yer chances a kapoot
then on youre request or bid for the land there is a statement that you must improove the land so much every year (eg fence, clear so many acres)
its not that diffacult to buy crown land if you know the proper steps, espeacialy if you are already leaseing it or it borders youre property just check wth the county or RM and land titles
wth a lawyers help it should be quite simple
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM

I've had the same thoughts many times Nube. And in the past it obviously has been done as there are quarters of private land surrounded by oceans of crown that were purchased in the 80's near where I grew up.

Here is a link to some info:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/form...ublicland.aspx

here is the link to some forms, which I'm not 100% how they work:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/form...s/default.aspx

and then here are some FAQ's:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/freq...stions.aspx#q3

If you do find some answers be sure to let us know. I'd definitly be interested.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM

Thankss for the thoughts guys. I have looked into it before and it seems pretty well not going to happen but it all looks confusing and I found some info that looked like it was possible so I thought I would throw it out there. I have been looking over parcels of private land for sale and out towards St. Paul there seems to be a fair bit but I had hopes for another area. I'll check it out some more