Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Or maybe I'm just getting the crowds out of my spot.

I'm not sure if you are or not but your doing me a big favor....LOL
Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

I don't think bait fish have ever been allowed in Glenmore since i started fishing it.......smelts are not considered bait fish.
I think I remember hearing that before now that read your post. It's been so long since I've fished there though, never had the need to look into it. Thanks for clearing things up Schooch.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 PM

Went out today for a couple hours

Before

After

Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Nice
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 PM

Was out today at Glenmore, first time trying it out,

Started on the north side from about 8:15-11:30, just walking the shoreline for spots I thought would hold fish, no luck there.

Went for a coffee and fished the south side from 12:00 to 2:30 and not a bite there either.

Saw quite a few people out, most I talked to had the same sort of luck I did.

Was trying bucktails, spoons, rapalas, spinners, and soft baits in an array of colors and patterns and couldn't entice a hit... Maybe next time!
Was a nice day to get some casting in none the less.

Cory
Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 PM

I had the same luck Sunday evening. Tried the south side. Worked my way west from the yacht club. Tried a rig with worms no luck. Switched to a floating rappala that kills pike usually no luck. Worst part lost the pike lure on some old line out in the water on my last cast. It was the third time that I snagged old line last night. The first two I managed to pull into shore. It was still nice to get some casts in.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
I had the same luck Sunday evening. Tried the south side. Worked my way west from the yacht club. Tried a rig with worms no luck. Switched to a floating rappala that kills pike usually no luck. Worst part lost the pike lure on some old line out in the water on my last cast. It was the third time that I snagged old line last night. The first two I managed to pull into shore. It was still nice to get some casts in.
Agree with you on the line, was a ton just littered in the rocks with the water level still being down, picked up close to a dozen bird nests of mono while walking th shoreline.

Cory
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM

It amazes me how many times ive pulled in 40-50 lb mono lines out of that water in 1 particular place that has lure after lure attached to 20 other crappy lines.......im sure its really neccessary for all the 30 lb + pike that they seem to be chasing!!! LOL
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM

I've caught a few small pike in there last year, bouncing a chartreuse tub jig. Hooked into a big pike near the dam on a small yellow crank. I should have had a better leader, lost it right away as it thrashed around in the shallow water.

There must be some big ones in there or at least someone thinks there is. When I hooked into that one, there was a family fishing near the point there by the dam. I made a comment to the lady using a huge salmon rod, she replied in some European language I didn't understand. she was obviously bait fishing for something huge.