Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Who likes circle hooks?

Made up a couple of pickerel rigs today with my favorite mustad circle hooks

I don't bait fish often in open water season, but when I do I love them.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-03-2014, 01:43 PM

I love them as well. Most of my bait fishing is for burbot or catfish. I use nothing else. I am 100 percent CR and have not had a deep hooked fish in awhile
Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
I love them as well. Most of my bait fishing is for burbot or catfish. I use nothing else. I am 100 percent CR and have not had a deep hooked fish in awhile
Burbot are what really did it for me, deep hooked them a lot at PCR, switched to a drop shotted circle hook a couple inches off the bottom and lip hooked them from then on.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Love them
Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 PM

They even work well when bait-fishing trout. Worms or hoppers.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Me too - circle hooks do exactly what they claim to do - reduce deep hooked fish .... I love them.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 PM

Use them all the time on pickerel rigs for trout. No more deep hooking. Life is good!

Jason
Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Banned

Used them once ice fishing, threw them out.

First pike I hooked ended up somehow with the hook stuck in a flap of skin in the lower jaw, had to cut the hook in 3 peices with side cutters to get it out.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 AM

Trying them for the first time next weekend for pike. I have tied a few flies with them I'll let you know how they work.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Banned

I find them really good for perch, it feels like they give me an extra milisecond to set the hook
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Been using circle hooks since1996. Lived in Florida were they are the norm for bill fish.

Have converted my plugs for walleye to circle hooks . Must be done in pairs with the hooks pointing opposite directions for balance.

Go 4 / 0 for spinner rigs / plugs for walleye pike.

We use them exclusively for salmon. Have had many airborne springs 20 yards off the boat and not lose them. Most guys think we fish barbs when they see us land a fish that has been in the air 6 times in a row and we still land the fish.

Have had to set a few irrate confused guys straight at tge marina after. Made a few friends /
converts after also
Drewski
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

iv'e used them and didn't like them. much higher percentage of lost fish after a hit on pic. rig or bait casting. much prefer j hooks.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 AM

those of you who hated them.... What type were you using? also, what size in relation to the fish you were targeting? I've never had a bad experience with circle hooks, I haven't bought a j hook (except for fly tying) in years.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:08 AM

I find that when being used for bait fishing trout,they are,if fished correctly,the most effective hook out there.To be effective,the fish must swallow the bait and swim off, often changing directions,the circle hook then slides out and hooks the fish in the corner of the mouth.If used like a conventional J hook, with the fisherman trying to set the hook at the slightest bite,a very poor catch ratio will result.Give the fish a couple of feet of slack and they often hook themselves.I find the most aggresive hook set that I use is simply taking the slack up with the reel after giving the fish a chance to swim away.Works for me!!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM

I tried them. Dont use them very often now. Prefer J hooks.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Toughest part of using a circle hook is learning NOT to set the hook. Just let the fish take it, and they hook themselves, in the corner of the mouth, top or bottom of the jaw.

Fish instinctively bite then turn away, at which time the hook digs into the side of the mouth.

You have to go up at least 2 sizes, and preferably 3. Trout on a pickerel rig means going #4, not #10.

Really makes a difference on hook up rate if you just forget about setting the hook. The fish is already hooked, just reel it in.

Drewski
Old 05-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
I find that when being used for bait fishing trout,they are,if fished correctly,the most effective hook out there.To be effective,the fish must swallow the bait and swim off, often changing directions,the circle hook then slides out and hooks the fish in the corner of the mouth.If used like a conventional J hook, with the fisherman trying to set the hook at the slightest bite,a very poor catch ratio will result.Give the fish a couple of feet of slack and they often hook themselves.I find the most aggresive hook set that I use is simply taking the slack up with the reel after giving the fish a chance to swim away.Works for me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Toughest part of using a circle hook is learning NOT to set the hook. Just let the fish take it, and they hook themselves, in the corner of the mouth, top or bottom of the jaw.

Fish instinctively bite then turn away, at which time the hook digs into the side of the mouth.

You have to go up at least 2 sizes, and preferably 3. Trout on a pickerel rig means going #4, not #10.

Really makes a difference on hook up rate if you just forget about setting the hook. The fish is already hooked, just reel it in.

Drewski
These right here

Bit of learning curve, but well worth it.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:24 PM

There are 3 important things when using circle hooks. Most people that don't like them are usually doing one of the following things incorrectly.

a) Don't try to set the hook. You need to slowly apply pressure to allow the hook to slowly pull towards corner of mouth where because of the pressure it will turn and then hook into mouth. If you jerk it then it just pops out of mouth before it can turn and get hooked. Once you believe the hook is in place you can give it a gentle set to make sure it is fully hooked but this shouldn't be necessary if you are using good sharp hooks.

b) Use the correct size hook, you need to use larger hooks then you might think. You want it large enough the fish can't swallow them easily, that way they stay in fishes mouth and will pull over to the corner. If your hook is being swallowed then it is too small. The larger size also makes it easier for hook to turn and catch.

c) Not tying them on correctly, for a circle hook to work properly it needs to be snelled and you must feed the line in from the pointed side of hook. If you tie any other type of knot or feed the line in from the back side the hook will not perform properly as it won't get enough leverage to catch in the corner of the fishes mouth.

I started using circle hooks in Florida and they are wonderful. Usually the fish sets the hook themselves and they rarely get off and rarely swallow the hook. Makes for real easy bait fishing.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM

For certain situations they are fine/good.

I like the option of crossing the eyes for some things.

I do not like them at all on artificial baits.

And many times, I do not like to use larger hooks then needed going up a couple sizes.

I have tried them(still use occasionally). Used Owner, Gamakatsu, Eagle claw, and one or 2 others.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Tying on the circle hook properly is important - as one contributor correctly mentioned - "run the line inside the eye closest to the point toward the heel or outside of the hook".

Feeding your line correctly is the most important thing to remember as it ensures that the circle hook "swivels" into place when a little pressure is felt on the line (no hook set required). Doing it the opposite way will result in the hook not "seating on the point" when initial penetration begins.

here's a video - exactly how I do it .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzM4UxvMXLw
Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Where do octopus circle hooks fit in to the mix?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Where do octopus circle hooks fit in to the mix?
Here is some interesting info I just stumbled upon that others might find interesting.

http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/hookr...ssnelling.html

Pretty much confirms what those in the know already know. Circle hooks don't need to be set whereas with j hooks you lose a lot of fish if not setting hook. Also that you need to snell them for the best results.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 PM

I use circle hooks quite often, especially if my rod is going to be in a rod holder. At first I lost a lot of fish due to the bait moving on the hook. I now use the little rubber bait holders from the fishin hole, and I now lose very few.

With the fishing pressure in Alberta we should all learn to use them. Better for the fish is better for us!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdingo View Post
I use circle hooks quite often, especially if my rod is going to be in a rod holder. At first I lost a lot of fish due to the bait moving on the hook. I now use the little rubber bait holders from the fishin hole, and I now lose very few.

With the fishing pressure in Alberta we should all learn to use them. Better for the fish is better for us!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM

I use circle hooks for catfish in Manitoba and have never lost one yet due to the hook to be in a circle hook. I like the way they catch the corner of the mouth.