Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 01:43 PM

Default First Elk Hunt

Hi everyone,

First time antlerless elk hunt in WMU 526, starting December 21. I have the iHunter App, and will be purchasing the land ownership map to go with it. I also have a tag for a mule deer in WMU 527, ending December 20. I'm hoping to make a trip up there and hopefully come back with both tags filled.

I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out some decent spots to scout ahead of time, and give me any tips to help me in either WMU. I'm still fairly new to big game hunting, so any help would be appreciated. I'm not looking for trophies, just looking for meat for the family. Also not afraid to go and talk to some farmers who are receptive to having a respectful hunter work their land - I would just rather have a good starting spot so I don't waste time bothering people who won't allow access.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate any help you can give!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Can't help, but wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 PM

Default we should have a sticky

sigh.......
At least you didn't use the phrase 'don't want anyones' honey hole..."

You see, we see this alot here. I believe alot of hunting is getting to know an area..... which means you have to go there... and get to know it, and the people.

Go up... explore... meet people. Its not wasting time.

Its hunting.

I would strongly suggest posting in the 'looking for a hunting partner-mentor' thread. You might find a good mentor.

Your post sorta feels like you want to just shoot something. Which is ok... i guess.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Yes, no honey hole requests.
You're Definitely not out for a trophy with a cow and a doe tag.
But those are pretty good zones, more private land than crown tho.
Like what's been suggested, post on the partner thread.
Good luck and have fun.

TBark
Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Learn what Elk need and when they need it. Put some ground behind you.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
sigh.......
At least you didn't use the phrase 'don't want anyones' honey hole..."

You see, we see this alot here. I believe alot of hunting is getting to know an area..... which means you have to go there... and get to know it, and the people.

Go up... explore... meet people. Its not wasting time.

Its hunting.

I would strongly suggest posting in the 'looking for a hunting partner-mentor' thread. You might find a good mentor.

Your post sorta feels like you want to just shoot something. Which is ok... i guess.
To be clear, I'm not looking to just shoot something, and am willing to put in the time. I've also just read a lot of posts on this site about how unwilling a large portion of people (or so it seems) in the 526 area are to allowing "outsiders" onto their land. The last thing I want to do is further damage that type of relationship with people being pestered. Again, I am new to this, so I am looking for advice and tips from people who have been doing this for a while, so that I can avoid this exact type of exasperation. I wasn't aware that there was a mentor thread - I will look there.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:23 AM

I spent some time living in 526, ignore the " Oh farmers are unfriendly in wmu that wmu" There are A-holes and legit gents all over the place. There are plenty of Grazing lease lands that border the river valleys, look up those contacts and give them a call. Like with land owners not all are receptive, but i used to like working the GRL's (not going to delve into the GRL access details as there are probably hundreds of threads on this already). Do the same with private 1/4's in the same areas.

Be respectful/polite as i'm sure you would to best represent our demographic. If some are rude and non-receptive, simply thank them for their time and move on to the next. The most common thing i would hear back from land owners is " You know, you are one of few who actually come and ask"...true story

That's all you can do for yourself, and good luck to you.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazy.338 View Post
I spent some time living in 526, ignore the " Oh farmers are unfriendly in wmu that wmu" There are A-holes and legit gents all over the place. There are plenty of Grazing lease lands that border the river valleys, look up those contacts and give them a call. Like with land owners not all are receptive, but i used to like working the GRL's (not going to delve into the GRL access details as there are probably hundreds of threads on this already). Do the same with private 1/4's in the same areas.

Be respectful/polite as i'm sure you would to best represent our demographic. If some are rude and non-receptive, simply thank them for their time and move on to the next. The most common thing i would hear back from land owners is " You know, you are one of few who actually come and ask"...true story

That's all you can do for yourself, and good luck to you.
Thank you for that, I appreciate the tip of the GRLs. I will be sure to look those up and call/visit the owners/leaseholders.