Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Woodleigh Bullets

Hi Guys
I ordered some 340GR woodleigh for my new to me 416 Ruger and wondering what the general thoughts are on woodleigh bullets?
I have tried about every different manufacture out there,but these guys are a mystery to me.
Not shooting any elephants any time soon unless the lottery comes threw, just going to be a general bush gun and my goto saddle gun.
I like the idea of alot of punch in the small package of the Ruger Alaskan.
Most bullets from my research are made for the big stuff, and the few that are not are hard to come buy.
I know some of you will say Barnes, but I have had a bunch of bad experience with them in big cals, against not big critters, and have acted like a solid, and taken a few shots to bring deer and moose sized game down.
Even in my 450 nitro took 3 shots on a deer, found one bullet in the snow, and had zero expansion.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Never used them. Will be very interested to hear how you make out for speed, accuracy and expansion. Tagged for interest.

My only comment is, there are a lot of really good cup and core bullets made by large manufacturers who will be around a long time. Hornady, Norma, Nosler. If i was going to work up a load and rely on an unusual/uncommon bullet I would make sure I had a lifetime supply.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:28 PM

My thing was that most of the available bullets were 400gr and up. I didn't need any that heavy.
Anything smaller was Barnes, and didn't want them.
Speer was the only other available and could hardly find even one box, so I scrapped that one.
Woodleigh has been around for a long time, and after emailing them, they said they will be making the 340gr PPSN for a long while as they get alot of call for it, for african hunters for plains game.
I am going to do some testing with different media and test expansion, at different distances. And I plan on doing most of my hunting next year with it, and will post results on game as they come in.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 PM

I have shot them out of a 416 rigby. I don't remember using them on game but did lots of internet research looking for actual results in game. I also shot a few for testing. I can't remember actual details but the general thing I got out of it is that at the rigby velocities I loaded to it would probably make it to the far side of moose/elk sized game on broad side shots. Wide expansion good weight retention but because it would expand wider than it was long not a really deep penetrating bullet which is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Shot a 1000# ? moose at 125yds busted the onside leg, some ribs, bullet exited neck about 12 inches in front of off shoulder, ...still going strong after about 5 feet of moose...Great bullets accurate and expanded well the bull was dead just took him a couple minutes to figure it out...

9.3X62 CZ 286gr bullet.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I have shot them out of a 416 rigby. I don't remember using them on game but did lots of internet research looking for actual results in game. I also shot a few for testing. I can't remember actual details but the general thing I got out of it is that at the rigby velocities I loaded to it would probably make it to the far side of moose/elk sized game on broad side shots. Wide expansion good weight retention but because it would expand wider than it was long not a really deep penetrating bullet which is exactly what I was looking for.
For what it's worth I was speaking specifically of the 340grain 416 bullet
Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 PM

I only use them in my 470. Like you say they have a long history of being a good bullet. That being said there are a lot of new innovations for the heavy weight hunting bullets. You might want to search the big bore forum on Accurate Reloading website. It will save you a bunch of time and effort on media testing as it has already been done before....

I basically have a lifetime supply so I won’t use any others for reloading anytime soon.

I have shot elephant, hippo and warthog. They are all dead, so I guess they work😉