Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM

Default Smoked fish

So i think im gunna try my hand at smoking some fish and maybe some jerky this weekend, anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Good tips here for fish, can't help you with jerky though.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=97443
Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM

cool quick trick is to use a good marinade first, speend up the process and you can really play with some cool flavours. also make sure you cut it up really fine or else its super hard to roll and never stays lit....ok that was bad but hey it had to be said!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM

lol thanx guys.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 PM

Brine your fish first!

Depending on size, I will marinate fish in brine anywhere from 4 - 30 hours. Look up the basic recipe and add whatever you like to make it your own.

Smoke it low and slow. Check it frequently after the first few hours to make sure you don't over cook it, because if it's over cooked, you have to eat it anyway.

I like to take the fish off the heat and put it in a ziploc right away, with a little brown sugar. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour then shake it up. The condensation will melt the sugar and coat the fish.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Everyone has different preference, personally i like dry brines for both fish and jerky.

For fish...cut head, tails and all fins off. Gut and split the whole fish in half and it should look like an open book. The center back bone would be on only one fillet. Wash good and try to stand them so majority of the water drips out. Lay them down on a sheet of plywood or something close together. Then with even swipes i sprinkle dry spice on.

Lawrys seasoning...heavy
Garlic powder....heavy
onion salt....light
Lemon pepper...medium
Cracked pepper...light
paprika...light mostly just used for coloring...nice red color

When you are done spicing it should look like you have way too much spice on. Let sit overnight (approx 12 hrs) in a cool place. Fire up the smoker and usually 3 hrs at 190-200 degrees puts it close( depending on size). I use wood chips/smoke for the first hour only. Also rotate your racks every hour or so...top rack to bottom. I would stay away from the liquid smoke/hickory, i have tasted some that had way too much of it was used and the fish was gross. Get a digital temp probe where you leave in the fish...at 140 degrees the fish is cooked, but i still leave it in for a half hour or so. When you rotate the racks and you see moisture coming up and sitting on the fish, tamp dry with paper towel, i beleive there was a guy on here that told me if this happens you might just have a bit too much heat.

As far as jerky, i usually buy the dry spice packages, there are some really good ones on the market, and they sell them anywheres now a days. Make sure you mix the correct cure/seasoning mixture. Tricks are having the meat slightly frozen so they are stiff/firm when cutting. Try to keep the peices the same thickness, otherwise the times will vary alot. Sprinkle peices ans sit overnight. Cold smoke....NO heat just smoke for the first hour, maybe 120 degrees...then after that first hour take the chips out and put the heat to it. Usually 185 to 200 for maybe 2 more hours depending on thickness. Rotate racks, when you get close you should be able to sqweeze a peice and once you feel the edge's crisping a bit and can start to feel light cracking when you sqweeze then its done.

I like my fish and jerky on the dry side, i dont want to make a meal out of it, and i want to chew and savor the flavor but thats my preference. So after smoking i usually leave my product in a cardboard box for a couple hours before bagging it.

Anyways, always make a journal and log everything, from spice being used, temps inside smoker and out, times and anything you may want to add and also write down how it turned out and what you may of need more or less of. You might not perfect it the first time...but after going back into your past journals you should be able to improve with every batch made. Oh and also have lots of beer on hand

Good luck !!!

Last edited by Shmag; 07-29-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Default How I do Mine

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=74300

Check out this link it explains how I smoke mine up..............everyonle loves it.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM

thanx very helpful guys!