Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Default My first NSR pike!

Well yesterday I did some exploring along the river. Did a lot more walking than fishing, but I found a couple promising looking spots. I ended my day by spending an hour or so fishing the river across from Fort Sask. I tossed some bait out for a little bit, but I'd been wandering around all day trying to find fishing spots, and I was feeling a little antsy, so I put on a spinner and started chucking it out. After a few minutes I nailed this guy

After sending that guy on his way I tossed the spinner out a few times with no results, so I put on a big ol' Booyah spinner bait and I got this guy on the very first cast with it

He wasn't huge, but he bent the snot out of the spinnerbait.

These guys were the first pike I've caught in years, and quite unexpected. I had a blasty blast catching them, and I'll definitely be hitting that spot again

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM

One more week!!!! So many spots, so little time to fish them. About time you caught something bigger than your little finger

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
One more week!!!! So many spots, so little time to fish them. About time you caught something bigger than your little finger
Haha no kidding, it's nice to catch something that puts up a bit of a fight for a change!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM

Good on ya for finding the pike. I've been to the NSR a few times this year and it's been mostly goldeye for me. I suppose they're fun on the fly, but kinda boring on a medium action rod.

FF
Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 AM

That thing is dinky. I remember the good ole days catching hogs
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
That thing is dinky. I remember the good ole days catching hogs
Bla bla bla
Nice fishies Geezle! Nuttin like having instant success in a new found spot!
Wondering how common pike are in the NSR. In a couple yrs fishn the SSR down south here, I have only caught about a half dozen or so, and seen maybe another half dozen landed. Mind u I don't really target them but the odd one does come along. I lost one at shore as she shook the hook upon landing attempt...she was massive. We guessed 4.5-5ft. I'm gonna find her again this yr only this time make sure to bring the net
Again, nice pike, legwork paid off for u!!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

I think the pike are pretty spread out... I know quite a few spots to catch them, but usually just one or two. Haven't got any real monsters, but some close to 10 lbs.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 AM

I used to fish the nsr ALOT and i find the pike bite good in the morning , seems like 8 till noon is when i would catch the most !!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-man View Post
I think the pike are pretty spread out... I know quite a few spots to catch them, but usually just one or two. Haven't got any real monsters, but some close to 10 lbs.
I guess it's location, location, location There's one spot I fish that I've seen just about everything come out of, but never a pike. This spot I saw a few pike, but not a single other type of fish.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM

Thumbs up Snot Rocket Fishing

Geezle,
Fun catching snot rockets on the river. Just wondering what you used to catch that running shoe ?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Nice work Jay, thats awesome!! I love cathing pike... reminds me when we had supper a few weeks back I can't remember if I invited you out for opening day on the boat? You wanna catch some pike that would make a snack outta that one?!! Keep in touch we'll go get some monsters