Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 AM

Default Crawling Valley

Friday was the only day in several where the wind was not churning the water surface. We were lucky when we chose to go out then. The day started with a 10 Km/h north wind which switched to an east wind at about 12:30 PM. The water level is high enough to allow safe drifts over the rocky humps in the lake (at least the ones we know about). Our fishing moon calculations told us that the bite should start at about 11:30 AM and that is when we started getting the hits. We had our limit in about 2 hours and none were under 5 pounds. No, we didn't release them all. We kept some for a good fish fry as, in my opinion, there is no fish tastier than a de-boned pike. Besides, I had to test out my new battery operated fillet knife. We caught all of our fish in 5-7 foot water. The water temperature was 54 degrees F. That is pretty cool for pike or any other fish but these were on the bite. Their bellies were full of small perch and walleye. One even had a Berkly's Gulp minnow jig in his belly along with perch. If that jig was from ice fishing then they aren't as biodegradable as they are advertized to be. We both got a little touch of sun burn but it was worth it. We got off the water and just started tarping the boat when the east wind really hit. From the looks of the long range weather forecast there will not be much fishing done for the next week though. I hope the rest of you had as good a time as we did.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Good for you - I spent part of Saturday and a couple of hours this morning fighting the hurricane out there. I caught quite a few pike but none were legal size so no first pike in the pan for me. I caught most in 6 to 10 feet of water.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Default crawling

Your not kidding bout the wind!! Was out there on Saturday with a buddy and we were blown all over the lake! Didn't catch any fish either. Just wonderin what part of the lake you got your pike in. I usually launch up on the northwest side of lake but Saturday was just too windy there so we launched in the big bay on the north east side of the lake.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 PM

We launched from the Crawling Valley campground launch on the S.W. side and fished the shallows. We figured that's where the water would be warmest and the fish the most active. This coming week still doesn't seem too great for fishing so I guess it will have to be the week after. And yes, the fish tasted great!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Default Crawling Valley Reservoir Fishing & Rocks

Hey Guys,
I'm heading out to Crawling Valley for hopefully some good fishing. I've never been there as I usually make my trips up into Lac La Biche country. From reading these forums I hear there are some issues around shallow areas and rocks. Never being here and not wanting to destroy a prop can anyone help me out with where these hazardous areas are or just where to pay special attention?
I've got a depth contour map and stuff but that doesn't do any great wonders for hidden little treasures. And a depth finder but that doesn't help often when your running 15 mph.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM

I've found that if you want to get from point A to point B on that lake go out to the middle and then open your throttle. If you are going in towards shore and there is a chop on the water then watch for calm spots on the water as that is a good indicator of shallows OR if it is calm then look for a change in the color of the water from dark to light. The light water will be your shallow water. As summer wears on some of the spots will grow rocks through the surface. However, some will not and that's when you really have to learn to read the color changes in the water and keep an eye out for calm spots if there is wave action. If you have a good GPS take it and mark those spots for future reference. These are also good drop offs for fish to hang out by. We've caught some nice pike around them. Last tip ... Bring a spare prop along.