Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 AM
dodger

Default Dog advice

My Springer Spaniel comes with me on my fishing trips and other outdoor activities. But in the winter I have a problem with ice balls between her pads. I clip the hair between the pads pretty short but the ice balls up and starts to cut her pads. Anyone with some tips to help her we both would appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:39 PM
aka bushmaster

Default Re: Dog advice

Maybe dog booties ??
I used to have a malemute that would cut her feet on the ice....but she got sick and died on me before I got to give them a try.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:23 PM
dodger

I have seen the booty's at the store. Not sure how good they are in natural terrain or what might be a good brand for sporting dogs.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:30 PM
lethalconnection

Well i would say if your just fishing ice covered lakes, booties should be fine but as for river fishing and such i dont think that would work too good, they may tend to fall off, the guys you may want to talk to is maybe NSbeagler cause they were talkin about the same thing but for rabbit hunting, and they were talking about stuff they put on the pads to help strengthen them so they dont cut cause they said the booties dont stay on in terrain such as that.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:03 PM
geezer55

Heard that spraying the pads with Pam or some other cooking oil spray will keep the snow from sticking. As for toughening up the dogs pads use Kopertox, paint it on their pads and let it dry . . . just DON'T do it in the house or anywhere you don't want green pad prints. The vet told us to use it on our brittany as he had soft pads and anytime he'd run his feet would bleed.