Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

I find it hard to believe that there would any negative comments about the Police arresting thieves and preventing them from selling these guns to other criminals.

Some people will find fault in everything the Police do whether it is stopping a terrorist attack or going for a coffee break. Makes me wonder whether these persons are criminals themselves or hold some type of grudge because they applied for the Police and were rejected.
Police did a great job here, sorry I don't feel any safer in public though. Do you feel safer because they got those 2 dirt bikes back? I mean a criminal could've modified 23 Savage Axis rifles to mount to the dirt bike and had air actuated bolt cycling cylinders attached to air actuated trigger cylinders all remotely run from the passenger via remote control. That IFV would really devastate public safety.

Phewwwwwwwwwww!!! Glad they got those dirt bikes off the streets before they concocted some comic book inspired death-machine.

Does that seem far-fetched? Of course it does. As I said before, a well placed road cone would improve public safety more than seizing those rifles. Once again if you missed it, I don't think its a bad thing they got those rifles back.

As for the shotguns seized I believe that does improve public safety.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Police did a great job here, sorry I don't feel any safer in public though. Do you feel safer because they got those 2 dirt bikes back? I mean a criminal could've modified 23 Savage Axis rifles to mount to the dirt bike and had air actuated bolt cycling cylinders attached to air actuated trigger cylinders all remotely run from the passenger via remote control. That IFV would really devastate public safety.

Phewwwwwwwwwww!!! Glad they got those dirt bikes off the streets before they concocted some comic book inspired death-machine.

Does that seem far-fetched? Of course it does. As I said before, a well placed road cone would improve public safety more than seizing those rifles. Once again if you missed it, I don't think its a bad thing they got those rifles back.

As for the shotguns seized I believe that does improve public safety.

Instead of building the "super bike" take those 23 rifles and some ammo and put them in pile on the corner of 118th Ave and 95 Str. in Edmonton. Put up a sign that says "free to a good home." Hang out in the area for a couple days and let me know if you feel safer before the guns were left or after they were distributed to God knows who.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm glad that people have the chance of getting their stolen property back, but I hate when the RCMP put a bunch of firearms on display, and in this case mostly scoped bolt action rifles, and claim that they're "getting guns off the streets".
Quote:
I mean that the RCMP are trying to make this sound like this is the type of firearm used in crime, rather than simple stolen property. You might think that these guns were going to be used in crime, I don't share that opinion.
Quote:
Probably the only criminal use of that type of stolen weapon is to be sold as stolen property.
Quote:
No you don't know what he was trying to say. You think you do, but you don't. There in lies the problem. You are not listening to what he has said at all, but you berate him because he doesn't blindly follow you and cheer-lead for the RCMP.

He never said the RCMP did a bad job that I noticed. He openly said good job. He never belittled their work. He said good job. He never said he was unhappy with the fact that stolen rifles left the hands of criminals. He said it was a good thing. What he said was he disagreed with the notion that getting a bunch of hunting rifles has improved public safety. It hasn't. A well placed road cone will do more for public safety than those rifles "getting off the streets". Had they been a firearm prevalent with armed robbery, home invasion, or gang related use I for one would say it improves public safety. I am the public, I feel no safer. If you do, as I said, I feel sorry for you.

As for the internet hero comment, that was more referencing the internet hero that coined the term in this thread. Reading my past post it says anyone that disagrees with him. I'm sorry for that. That was poor word-smithing on my part.

As said before, great job RCMP. Glad some criminals will now get a free ride in our legal system and be back on the streets in 4 days. That makes me feel SOOOOO much safer than the fact that they had bolt action rifles.

Do you see what I'm alluding to?
I quoted for you. The fact is that these guns are used in crimes, and lots here in good ol' Red Deer (where this bust happened). His opinion that they won't be used in crimes is not relevant.

Quote:
But I hate when the RCMP put a bunch of firearms on display, and in this case mostly scoped bolt action rifles, and claim that they're "getting guns off the streets".
So, I know EXACTLY what he's saying. I DON'T AGREE. The fact that you have the audacity to tell me what I do and don't understand is laughable.

The cops got guns off the street and out of hands of criminals. These types of guns are being used - in Red Deer - for armed robberies, in stores and on the street, drive by shootings, shootings of people who catch these criminals breaking into their garage, robbing people getting into their cars as they leave convenience stores, pointing them at people on our city streets.

But you knew about all those instances, right? These are all things that have happened in Red Deer recently.

So, in conclusion, as a resident of Red Deer - I'm happy to see this, i'm happy to read this, i'm happy they're showing it off.

Do you see what i'm clearing saying without alluding to anything?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I quoted for you. The fact is that these guns are used in crimes, and lots here in good ol' Red Deer (where this bust happened). His opinion that they won't be used in crimes is not relevant.

So, I know EXACTLY what he's saying. I DON'T AGREE. The fact that you have the audacity to tell me what I do and don't understand is laughable.

The cops got guns off the street and out of hands of criminals. These types of guns are being used - in Red Deer - for armed robberies, in stores and on the street, drive by shootings, shootings of people who catch these criminals breaking into their garage, robbing people getting into their cars as they leave convenience stores, pointing them at people on our city streets.

But you knew about all those instances, right? These are all things that have happened in Red Deer recently.

So, in conclusion, as a resident of Red Deer - I'm happy to see this, i'm happy to read this, i'm happy they're showing it off.

Do you see what i'm clearing saying without alluding to anything?
Yep 26" barreled scoped magnum rifles would be the ideal choice for drive-by shootings. Also the easiest tool to point at people from a vehicle. My first choice too if I were trying to sneak down hallways in a home invasion. Give me a break. Can you identify these firearms as those used in all the instances above? Was it likely none of these evil rifles were used in the instances above, yes. If they took away the pistols people were using for drive-by shootings would Red-Deer be safer, yes.

I feel sorry for you man. I'm glad you feel safer. What is it again that makes bliss?

P.S. As your quotes state, Scott doesn't believe these weapons make the streets safer. Like I said, you don't get it. No audacity.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 12-13-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Instead of building the "super bike" take those 23 rifles and some ammo and put them in pile on the corner of 118th Ave and 95 Str. in Edmonton. Put up a sign that says "free to a good home." Hang out in the area for a couple days and let me know if you feel safer before the guns were left or after they were distributed to God knows who.
The question is not if I feel safer because I won't, its do I feel safe there in the first place? Before those evil Savage Axis' were distributed, do you feel safe there? Is it because of all the other actual firearms already there used for crimes. Maybe I would feel safer actually. That way the residents might be protecting themselves from the gangs with pistols, 18.5" barreled shotguns and MAC10s.

Nothing I fear more than a home invasion from a perpetrator with his unwieldy hunting rifle.

How many times have you seen people shingle a roof with a sledgehammer? They could you know. Or they could use a tool better suited for the job.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Getting these guns out of these people’s hands is a good thing. They could sell them for cash to use on other break ins
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The question is not if I feel safer because I won't, its do I feel safe there in the first place? Before those evil Savage Axis' were distributed, do you feel safe there? Is it because of all the other actual firearms already there used for crimes. Maybe I would feel safer actually. That way the residents might be protecting themselves from the gangs with pistols, 18.5" barreled shotguns and MAC10s.

Nothing I fear more than a home invasion from a perpetrator with his unwieldy hunting rifle.

How many times have you seen people shingle a roof with a sledgehammer? They could you know. Or they could use a tool better suited for the job.
You da man!

Cheers
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Getting these guns out of these people’s hands is a good thing. They could sell them for cash to use on other break ins
I 100% agree. I just don't feel it has made our "streets" safer.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
You da man!

Cheers
Thanks. You too. Glad the streets of Red Deer are cleaned up and trouble-free. No folly will befall a Red Deer resident ever again.

Cheers.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:22 PM

not the streets, just the storage lockers,,,,,,
Old 12-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I think I'm about x7 now. I know what you were trying to say too. The REAL internet heroes seem to not understand what you were trying to say though.

Good on the RCMP, for their actions.

I feel sorry for the public that think they are any safer because a Savage Axis is off the streets. Pull a MAC10 off the street or an M&P9 and I will celebrate public safety being increased.

Or even the scourge of the criminal underworld; the revered Marlin Super Goose 10 Bolt action.
I never understood why people think a Hunting rifle is less dangerous that a handgun or compact machine gun.

Hunting rifle is more accurate, larger caliber, and less prone to malfunctions. Sure the Mac10 can fire 30 rounds in 2 seconds, but I only have to hit a target with 1 round from a 30-06.

I guess your views are in line with firearms classification in Canada since some firearms are really more "scary" than others.

I on the other hand like to look at the person that is in possession of the firearms and their intention with it's use. Whether it is a hunting rifle or a Mac10, I am not happy with criminals possessing either.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I never understood why people think a Hunting rifle is less dangerous that a handgun or compact machine gun.

Hunting rifle is more accurate, larger caliber, and less prone to malfunctions. Sure the Mac10 can fire 30 rounds in 2 seconds, but I only have to hit a target with 1 round from a 30-06.

I guess your views are in line with firearms classification in Canada since some firearms are really more "scary" than others.

I on the other hand like to look at the person that is in possession of the firearms and their intention with it's use. Whether it is a hunting rifle or a Mac10, I am not happy with criminals possessing either.
n that we agree, our classification system is not based on common sense, but rather on fears and emotion.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:

It is no less dangerous, it is just an inferior weapon in the application that a criminal is seeking to use that firearm as.

You forgot longer range capabilities too. What if you want to hit 30 targets?

Nope, no firearm is scarier than another. Its the person holding the firearm that is scary. I've seen lots of pictures of thugs holding their Glocks sideways. I'm yet to see them posing with a Mosin Nagant.

Totally agree man. Like I have said probably 11 times its great they busted them and took the stolen property away. The streets of Red Deer are no safer though. Criminals aren't using muzzleloaders to rob banks.
You know, SWAT teams and all armies don't use a bolt action rifle for anything other than a sniper. HMMMMMM????? Why is that? Do different tools have different properties???? Do some tools excel at some jobs and not at others????? Do you shingle your roof with a sledgehammer???????? Even criminals have figured this out. They want firearms that are concealable, easy to wield, one handed (hard to keep a bead on someone with the Lee Enfield one handed as we grab the bag of cigarettes), good at close quarters. Of that list, an X-Bolt meets exactly none of that criteria. You know what does though, a Tokarev. Now if we look at what a hunter deems desirable. Long range, accurate, carrying an optic capable to precisely place rounds at 500ish yards, powerful. Does our Tokarev meet those requirements? No it doesn't. So we gave up all of the requirements that a criminal shops for in their firearm to produce what a hunter is looking for (generally speaking, my 45/70 doesn't quite fit that bill). Look at that. 2 different tools, 2 different jobs. These firearms just aren't the threat to the public that the RCMP want you to think they are. If you think they are, whatever. Myself and several others believe otherwise.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You know, SWAT teams and all armies don't use a bolt action rifle for anything other than a sniper. HMMMMMM????? Why is that? Do different tools have different properties???? Do some tools excel at some jobs and not at others????? Do you shingle your roof with a sledgehammer???????? Even criminals have figured this out. They want firearms that are concealable, easy to wield, one handed (hard to keep a bead on someone with the Lee Enfield one handed as we grab the bag of cigarettes), good at close quarters. Of that list, an X-Bolt meets exactly none of that criteria. You know what does though, a Tokarev. Now if we look at what a hunter deems desirable. Long range, accurate, carrying an optic capable to precisely place rounds at 500ish yards, powerful. Does our Tokarev meet those requirements? No it doesn't. So we gave up all of the requirements that a criminal shops for in their firearm to produce what a hunter is looking for (generally speaking, my 45/70 doesn't quite fit that bill). Look at that. 2 different tools, 2 different jobs. These firearms just aren't the threat to the public that the RCMP want you to think they are. If you think they are, whatever. Myself and several others believe otherwise.
Regardless of what type of firearm was seized, the RCMP stopped 29 firearms from most likely ending up in the hands of criminals, for criminal use. Criminals will use a zip gun if that is all they can get their hands on, so they will definitely use a rifle. Sure every criminal would like a P226 and a full auto Carbine, but most will spend the money on drugs instead. You have seen too many movies or photos if you think criminal only use Glocks and Mac10's. Modified non-restricted are the most available, easiest to come by and cheapest option on the street for a firearm and it will definitely get the job done. Kinda like if my roof was leaking and all I had was a sledgehammer, it will definitely drive a roofing nail!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Regardless of what type of firearm was seized, the RCMP stopped 29 firearms from most likely ending up in the hands of criminals, for criminal use. Criminals will use a zip gun if that is all they can get their hands on, so they will definitely use a rifle. Sure every criminal would like a P226 and a full auto Carbine, but most will spend the money on drugs instead. You have seen too many movies or photos if you think criminal only use Glocks and Mac10's. Modified non-restricted are the most available, easiest to come by and cheapest option on the street for a firearm and it will definitely get the job done. Kinda like if my roof was leaking and all I had was a sledgehammer, it will definitely drive a roofing nail!
Agreed, sawed off pump guns are widely used by criminals. We are talking about bolt guns however.

Just as an aside, I really wish the zip gun article wasn't printed. Is this gonna be the flavor of the month now? The fact they use a zip gun instead of a bolt action rifle should tell you something.

No not all criminals use MAC 10s. I know that. They use pistols, shotguns, and semi-auto carbines.

There was a stat published earlier that stated 16% (if I remember right) of firearms crimes involve non-restrict. Out of that 16%, get rid of the shotguns, semi-autos, rimfires. ..... just down to bolt guns. What percent of crime is happening by bolt gun? Just for argument sake lets say its way higher than I think and say 5%. Getting rid of these guns by your estimation will have cleared up what percentage of that 5% going forward? None percent, that's how much.

You keep using that sledgehammer on your roof, I'll use the sole of my boot before the sledgehammer. I just don't understand why you think these bolt action WMD's are so dangerous gathering dust in a storage locker? Each of those 29 guns should be responsible for at least 14 dozen robberies, and murders by your estimation.

If these rifles are such a hot commodity to the criminal underground, why does he have 29 sitting in a storage locker? Why no pistols in that locker? They are sitting there, because he can't fence them. Want to know why he can't fence them? There is really no demand for them.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:00 PM

This isn’t grand theft auto. A firearm in criminal hands is dangerous no matter what type it is. Is dangerous to the public and it’s dangerous to our reputation as lawful gun owners.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed, sawed off pump guns are widely used by criminals. We are talking about bolt guns however.

Just as an aside, I really wish the zip gun article wasn't printed. Is this gonna be the flavor of the month now? The fact they use a zip gun instead of a bolt action rifle should tell you something.

No not all criminals use MAC 10s. I know that. They use pistols, shotguns, and semi-auto carbines.

There was a stat published earlier that stated 16% (if I remember right) of firearms crimes involve non-restrict. Out of that 16%, get rid of the shotguns, semi-autos, rimfires. ..... just down to bolt guns. What percent of crime is happening by bolt gun? Just for argument sake lets say its way higher than I think and say 5%. Getting rid of these guns by your estimation will have cleared up what percentage of that 5% going forward? None percent, that's how much.

You keep using that sledgehammer on your roof, I'll use the sole of my boot before the sledgehammer. I just don't understand why you think these bolt action WMD's are so dangerous gathering dust in a storage locker? Each of those 29 guns should be responsible for at least 14 dozen robberies, and murders by your estimation.

If these rifles are such a hot commodity to the criminal underground, why does he have 29 sitting in a storage locker? Why no pistols in that locker? They are sitting there, because he can't fence them. Want to know why he can't fence them? There is really no demand for them.
Not sure how long they were in the storage locker, didn't see that in the article, maybe it was years but it could have been less than a week. These guys are doing residential Break and Enters. They will come in contact with 10 non restricted for every restricted gun they find. Probably easier to move handgun and it will fetch more money, but that will not stop them from selling the others or trading them for drugs.

I don't know how my statements resulted in an estimation of 14 dozen robberies and murder for each firearm. Honestly I don't know what crimes they will be used for, but I am fairly certain they will not be used for hunting big game or target practice.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yup. If these guns were used for a crime it would not be a strategic choice to use over a handgun, but rather some guy with no resources seeing it as a better option than a knife and a can of bear spray. Maybe, first time he has ever held a rifle.

How likely is this to happen with a long gun? Nobody here really knows unless they have a background in law enforcement or low level street crime.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure how long they were in the storage locker, didn't see that in the article, maybe it was years but it could have been less than a week. These guys are doing residential Break and Enters. They will come in contact with 10 non restricted for every restricted gun they find. Probably easier to move handgun and it will fetch more money, but that will not stop them from selling the others or trading them for drugs.

I don't know how my statements resulted in an estimation of 14 dozen robberies and murder for each firearm. Honestly I don't know what crimes they will be used for, but I am fairly certain they will not be used for hunting big game or target practice.
Maybe they will not be used for crime at all???
Old 12-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Maybe they will not be used for crime at all???
Maybe? Maybe not? But really they were already used for a crime, it's call "theft"
Old 12-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe? Maybe not? But really they were already used for a crime, it's call "theft"
But as items that were taken, they are not used in a crime. They may as well be Barbie dolls.

It is great the police make progress like this, but to claim that we are safer because some bolt action rifles that were collecting dust in a storage shed have been seized is a bit of a stretch.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
But as items that were taken, they are not used in a crime. They may as well be Barbie dolls.

It is great the police make progress like this, but to claim that we are safer because some bolt action rifles that were collecting dust in a storage shed have been seized is a bit of a stretch.
But they're not Barbie Dolls.

And some of the known stolen guns were from a theft on October 28. Not much dust there. Seems like good work to catch these criminals rather quickly.

To claim we're not safer when two criminals have been captured and charged (almost 200 charges between them) while removing their access to more than a couple dozen weapons is simply ridiculous and nothing more than finding a way to argue.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:

There is a reason why the Criminal Code has a specific section for Break and Enter with the intent to steal firearms. Most civilized and rational people do not think a firearm is the same as a barbie doll!

Criminal Code of Canada

98 (1) Every person commits an offence who

(a) breaks and enters a place with intent to steal a firearm located in it;

(b) breaks and enters a place and steals a firearm located in it; or

(c) breaks out of a place after

(i) stealing a firearm located in it, or

(ii) entering the place with intent to steal a firearm located in it.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:

And some of the known stolen guns were from a theft on October 28. Not much dust there. Seems like good work to catch these criminals rather quickly.

To claim we're not safer when two criminals have been captured and charged (almost 200 charges between them) while removing their access to more than a couple dozen weapons is simply ridiculous and nothing more than finding a way to argue.

Amen to that!

Over and Out!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
There is a reason why the Criminal Code has a specific section for Break and Enter with the intent to steal firearms. Most civilized and rational people do not think a firearm is the same as a barbie doll!

Criminal Code of Canada

Given that illegally removing a firearm from a person's residence should be considered stealing, that section should apply to what happened during the High River flood.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:

Criminal Code of Canada

I was not aware of those laws - my apologies.

And obviously comparing a firearm to a Barbie is hyperbole, you understand my point I assume. Until a firearm is used in the commission of a crime, it has not been used in the commission of a crime. I believe that if there is intent to steal a firearm, it would still not determine that a firearm has been used in the commission of a crime. I could be wrong, but that is how I interpret it.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Hey wags I agree with most of your last paragraph. As I have stated many times. I am happy the two criminals were apprehended. Even though they likely will get 23 months with time served. I feel safer that they are behind bars. Most definitely. I don't feel safer that a few bolt guns are out of a storage locker. However the bad guys that had handguns last week still have those handguns today. They also got the pump shotgun from under his couch. That is a firearm that might actually endanger the streets. Bravo for that.

On a side note almost 2 months and he couldn't' move some of those rifles. That just shows the amount of demand for them.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Well using your math there should have been 3 pistols in the storage locker with the 29 rifles. Like you said they are easier to sell because that's what criminals want. So the dangerous weapons are on the street and the bolt guns collect dust. Had the RCMP seized those 3 pistols I would admit the streets are safer. However I don't believe those rifles really posed any more danger to the public. The 3 pistols acquired with them definitely do. But they didn't seize those pistols did they.

Once again, good work RCMP. Nice seeing a theft ring shut down. It's nice to see dangerous criminals behind bars. Not feeling safer with some seized bolt guns seized however.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=brendan's dad;3688126]Here a little exercise for everyone. First article shows over 1300 guns stolen in RCMP jurisdictions (Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat not included) in 2015.
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ng-stolen-guns

http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index-eng.htm

The article also states there is currently 10,000 stolen or missing guns outstanding!

And they're bragging & showing off eight recovered???? That is less than one-tenth of one percent...........and they want us showering them with praise for that??
Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:

How do you know they were not used in a crime? Do you know the drug dealers didn't take one along when they were making their rounds?

And I really don't understand your logic in saying that we aren't any safer if the guns are in the hands of the RCMP than in the hands of drug dealers.

And even if we accept your unproven (and I think naïve) allegation that these criminals weren't going to use these guns themselves, what WERE they going to do with them? Sell them. Sell STOLEN guns. And I'm pretty sure they weren't about to be concerned with ensuring the buyers had PALs.... No worse off in their hands than the RCMP's??? Come on....