Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Default First Handgun

I have always been interested in shooting handguns and I think it's time I purchase one for myself. I was out this fall and tried out a few calibers and styles and have narrowed it down to either a 9mm or .40sw and probably in a semi-automatic style. I wasn't too big on the revolver's yet but that will probably come.

So what do you guys think is a reliable, good shooting handgun that is in the 1k dollar range that would be decent for a first.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 PM

STI Trojan (1911)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM

CZ shadow. Good trigger and ergonomics.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Was gonna say. People like em. The 1s can be had for well under a grand.

I'd probably stick with 9mm. Ammo is cheaper, and much more common. Unless you have a specific need or desire to shoot .40?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
Was gonna say. People like em. The 1s can be had for well under a grand.

I'd probably stick with 9mm. Ammo is cheaper, and much more common. Unless you have a specific need or desire to shoot .40?
Nope nothing specifically .40 just liked the feel of it when shooting.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Sig226

I would say a sig226 9mm very nice pistol. The recoil will be less than a .40 wich would make it easier to shoot and cheaper.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
STI Trojan (1911)
This ^ is good advice. Or any of their other 9 mm 1911 options.

Glock 17, or 19 with extended barrel

Either option is well known for reliability, easily customizeable with broad aftermarket and gunsmith support, and will just plain shoot.

Nothing wrong with a ruger 22 to learn with, and ammo is much cheaper (which equals more trigger time which equals better proficiency). If you want to go bigger than 9 mm, get into reloading or it's highly likely your shooting will be limited by ammo costs.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM

CZs are popular for a reason, relatively low cost, high accuracy, high dependability, lots of accessories available if you want. I'd pick 9mm for the reasons others have already said.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
This ^ is good advice. Or any of their other 9 mm 1911 options.

Glock 17, or 19 with extended barrel

Either option is well known for reliability, easily customizeable with broad aftermarket and gunsmith support, and will just plain shoot.

Nothing wrong with a ruger 22 to learn with, and ammo is much cheaper (which equals more trigger time which equals better proficiency). If you want to go bigger than 9 mm, get into reloading or it's highly likely your shooting will be limited by ammo costs.
Yes I do already reload and am currently set up to do 9mm as I was doing some load development with a friend.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Give the Ruger Mark series a hard look. 22 semis are great pistols for starters or veterans. If yer set on 9mm my suggestion is a S&W M&P or my favorite Glock 17.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM

I like my Glock 22, it's simple and reliable. I haven't shot a lot of other semi's so I can't really say how it compares to other makes, but I don't regret buying mine.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

I don't have a lot of experience with other hand guns but I have a Jericho 941 in 9mm and really like it. My wife wanted it and my son can shoot it with ease as well. You can get a range kit with 3 magazines, magazine holster, and the gun holster for about $700.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
X2 I've had many pistols, and absolutely love my sig p226 but bang for the buck, I have to give to the Cz sp-o1 shadow. You can find theses on sale anywhere since the sp-01 shadow 2 has come out. Do yourself a favor and go with the 9 mm ammo goes on sale often, and many claim, to get better range!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
X2 I've had many pistols, and absolutely love my sig p226 but bang for the buck, I have to give to the Cz sp-o1 shadow. You can find theses on sale anywhere since the sp-01 shadow 2 has come out. Do yourself a favor and go with the 9 mm ammo goes on sale often, and many claim, to get better range!
You nailed it. I actually own sigs and rugers. The father in law has a CZ and as much as it pains me to say value for money wise it's a no brainer.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Default 1911 Fan

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...k-?sortValue=0

Low cost, works well.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 PM

I have been looking at the Beretta 92fs quite closely. I know they have a pretty good name. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 PM

My preference is for the M&P models from Smith & Wesson.
Not fancy but affordable and shoot very well. My 9mm has approx. 10,000 rds fired. No issues.
The Sig Sauer 226 is a sweetheart no doubt but more expensive and worth every penny.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 PM

Depends what you want to do with it. If you want to get proficient I would go with a .22. If you want to put a bunch of holes (I mean A LOT) in paper go with a glock, it is bomb proof. If you want to move on to competition the cz. Just a fun shooter, the IWI jericho is my preference. Inexpensive, easy to maintain and good weight.

For what it is worth, I hate cleaning 1911s and the 92F is the most comfortable to me.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 AM

For my first handgun I bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow (9mm) a couple of years ago. Love everything about it with zero regrets. I did a lot of research and testing of other handguns before that as well. You'll want it to fit your hand well.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
I have been looking at the Beretta 92fs quite closely. I know they have a pretty good name. Anyone have any experience with them?
Yeah I do, none of it positive. The bore sits well above the grip, worsening muzzle flip and making it difficult to make rapid follow up hits. The trigger is terrible and will need work right out of the box. The trigger geometry makes the double to single action change even worse than the sig.

They do not have a good name. The military contract was a political trade from certain us politicians to Italy. The sig smoked it in testing. If you care about government testing (I don't, cost comparison figures too highly in their calculations) look at what people who rely on their sidearms use: HRT - 1911. Seals and JTF - sig and sometimes hk. SOCOM - glock. Most swat teams - glock. No one uses the 92 other than the poor grunts who have no choice.

A very few like the 92 and shoot it well. Most don't and hate it. I'd pick a knife and learn to throw it over a beretta. Ymmv
Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM

I'm a die hard Sig fan, got about a dozen now, I'd say get a P226 in 9mm and don't look back. The .40 is a lot pricier to shoot, and range time is the key to proficiency with a pistol. I've had a Berretta, and a CZ, and a S&W M&P9, and a whole whack of others....Jericho as well (like it, great value for the dollar). Shot a few Glocks, and while I appreciate them for their reliability and see why they are so popular, I just don't like them in my hand. The Sig fits me., particularly with the short reset trigger on the Elites. I suggest shooting as many as you can, and take the one that works best for you. The way a handgun feels in your hand is a personal thing, and grip angles, bore axis, thickness of grips, and a dozen other things are going to affect which one you like, and those you don't. I prefer a hammer to a striker, a decocker to a safety.....figure out what you like. Get it. Shoot it. Lots.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-13-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm a die hard Sig fan, got about a dozen now, I'd say get a P226 in 9mm and don't look back. The .40 is a lot pricier to shoot, and range time is the key to proficiency with a pistol. I've had a Berretta, and a CZ, and a S&W M&P9, and a whole whack of others....Jericho as well (like it, great value for the dollar). Shot a few Glocks, and while I appreciate them for their reliability and see why they are so popular, I just don't like them in my hand. The Sig fits me., particularly with the short reset trigger on the Elites. I suggest shooting as many as you can, and take the one that works best for you. The way a handgun feels in your hand is a personal thing, and grip angles, bore axis, thickness of grips, and a dozen other things are going to affect which one you like, and those you don't. I prefer a hammer to a striker, a decocker to a safety.....figure out what you like. Get it. Shoot it. Lots.
Great idea Canuck, may I suggest buying a bucket or two of ammo, going to Phoenix gun range in Edmonton, for the price of the rental, they will let you shoot as many pistols as you would like, and they have lots. If there is a local gun range this may work aswell, pending on their selection! This way you have no doubts or regrets, after making your purchase!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Default CZ very nice to shoot. And affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVTOHUNT View Post
For my first handgun I bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow (9mm) a couple of years ago. Love everything about it with zero regrets. I did a lot of research and testing of other handguns before that as well. You'll want it to fit your hand well.
X2 a friend of mine has the SP-01 and I love shooting it.
The OP should go fire a few rounds through one at a range and
I'm sure he will enjoy it.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Banned

For a first pistol buy something cheap.
Like a star super b
Or a norinco m1911
Lots of value here for between 300$-400$
Spend the rest on ammo and enjoy.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM

Default First handgun

Sig p320, Glock 17/19 or Smith & Wesson M&P in 9 mm.

Currently, I own a 320 and have a 226 as well. Used to have an M&P I had an Apex trigger kit in and a Sig Mosquito in 22. Originally bought the Sig 226 in 40 (my first handgun) and later got the caliber conversion kits in 22 and 9mm for it. Now I shoot 9mm 90% of the time, otherwise 22. Rarely shoot the 40 any more. Would highly recommend a striker fired pistol and probably the sig or the glock due to the availability of 22 caliber conversion kits and overall quality and value. But really, your choice comes down to:

Metal or polymer
DA/SA vs SA vs striker fired
Safety or not

Answer these questions, and you'll be well on your way. There are many reliable, reasonably priced handguns on the market that you will enjoy for years.

Someone else suggested spending a little more money at the range before buying, which is good advice. The best gun for you is the one that fits your hand naturally and has a natural point of aim. Lower the gun to low ready, bring it up to the target with your eyes closed and open them. Pick the one that feels the easiest to work with. More importantly, pick one that you're excited about. For me a Glock 20 keeps calling to me, but I've held off because I can't carry it while hunting or hiking anyway and 10mm is (much) more expensive.

As far as caliber, I'd suggest 9mm over 40 due to availability and price. We can't carry anyway in Canada, and if we could there isn't enough difference in performance between the two to matter with good quality defence ammunition. 9mm/40/45 are all great, pick whichever one floats your boat.

I'd recommend the Glock 17/19 or Sig p320 as I said. For $1000, you can buy a handgun, 500 rounds of ammo and a case to take it to the range and store it in. Save a bit and get a conversion kit for easy and cheap (though dirty) practice with 22. Biggest advantage is for taking new shooters or your girlfriend plinking.If you want something a little different, consider the Walther PPQ or H&K VP9. Love my 226, but don't often see them for < $1000. CZ 75 have a great reputation if you decide upon a metal frame gun, and are popular in IPSA/IPSC type shooting I understand.

Whatever you decide, let us know when you get it home and post some PICS!!!

Edit: I should clarify, I have not seen conversion kits for the 320 but they are quite common for the 226 and the Glocks. A second pistol down the road in 22 is an option too, but I like using the same pistol and trigger.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:36 PM

Why not get a nice semi .22?

Then get something larger a bit down the road.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 PM

I would suggest going on youtube, and watch a bunch of Jerry Miculek and Hickok45 videos. After a few videos you just want a whole house full of handguns. Jerry is sponsored by Smith, so you have to take that into consideration when he has no choice but to praise some of the competition. Plinkster22 modified a S&W Victory, and that looks like an awesome handgun to start a guy off with. You have to have it fit you good, and then worry about the action. I like how fast Jerry can fire a wheel gun.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Love my 226, but don't often see them for < $1000...
True, you won't find one new for that price, but you can find lots of very lightly used P226s on GunNutz in the $800-950 range, depending on what kit comes with it. I have a like new 226 that another forum member here has dibs on to buy, and it is well under the $1000 price tag, with 3 mags, and he will have change left over for a few hundred rounds of ammo.....

Another option is a P229 in 9mm....I have one of those I'm thinking of selling as well, with the upgraded Trijicon sights. After a while, a guy can have too many Sigs....or not?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Why not get a nice semi .22?

Then get something larger a bit down the road.
Also a good option. Honestly, the 22's are so fun to shoot it's hard to believe.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Another option is a P229 in 9mm....I have one of those I'm thinking of selling as well, with the upgraded Trijicon sights. After a while, a guy can have too many Sigs....or not?

Looks like a good start is alll . I actually transferred the 226 to my wife, so I'm down to just the 320 myself these days. I will always own at least one handgun just in case they ever try to change the laws on us again. I would suggest all firearm owners should... and take your friends and family shooting and encourage them to get their RPAL.