Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Default Boyd's at one

Was on the Boyd's site today and saw their new (at least to me) at one gun stock. Has anyone been adventurous enough to buy one of these yet?
Aside from it being a push button to set does anyone else see potential problems with these?

How is your experience with a standard laminate stock from Boyd's?

Thanks again for any experience or advice

Homes Outside
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM

For my money, Boyds makes a real good laminate and the price is right. I have two - one on a Sav 99 and the other on a M 98 bolt action 9.3x62. Both fit the actions like a glove on arrival and have been excellent in every way since.
Delivery time was under six weeks in both cases as well.. pretty good!

I have no problem recommending their laminates.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:43 PM

I follow a Savage site on FB and I see a lot of people talking about that stock. People seem very happy with it. I have considered it for the 243 for gophers....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homes Outside View Post
Was on the Boyd's site today and saw their new (at least to me) at one gun stock. Has anyone been adventurous enough to buy one of these yet?
Aside from it being a push button to set does anyone else see potential problems with these?

Thanks again for any experience or advice

Homes Outside
Old 12-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Not intending to hijack the thread, but I've been curious about Boyd stocks too. At one time it was a given that some fitting would be necessary, but now it appears that they are advertising their stocks as "drop in", at least more or less. Anyone bought one of their stocks recently and willing to comment on how much fitting was required?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 PM

I have a Sako Quad Rimfire with multiple barrels you can switch barrels out with a allan key. Because of the way the barrels twist out when being changed i needed to use high rings and could not get a decent cheekweld.

I have Boyd AT one stock and in Coyote pattern. Its gorgeous and fit my Sako very well. Shoots the same as the composite bedded stock that came with it and i can now get proper cheekweld - im very happy with it. Expensive tho, direct from factory, took 2 weeks to custom make, and forgot about customs importation fee. Buttons for cheek and length of adjustment seem strong, no issues here.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:34 PM

I like the unfinished stocks with some work required because the drop ins feel to fat, it might be just me but I find the finished stocks bulky.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:41 PM

I just put one on a Rem BDL for a friend. Took about 3 hours of inletting to get it right. Weighs a ton. I sure won't be buying one anytime soon.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homes Outside View Post

I have several (camo laminate and green texture painted) Boyd's Pro-Varmint stocks, but have not yet seen an At-One model.
The picture on the Boy's website indicates that, the At-One stock has a traditional grip angle and not the more vertical semi-pistol grip angle of the Pro-Varmint.
I have compared the Pro-Varmint with a similar Boyd's thumbhole stock and found that the grip angle is slightly less vertical and farther away from the trigger.

Shipping and CBSA cost can be reduced substantially, if you can organize a group order for <US$500. (not including shipping).

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 PM

Default Boyd's

I have 2 Boyds stocks.
A Barracuda in forest camo on my Remington 597.
A featherweight thumbhole in Apple jack for my Savage 17 HMR. I really like both of them, basically a drop in fit and the finish is great.
I am going to get another for my Remington 700 in 30-06. Probably a prairie hunter in grey.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Boyds are a pretty good stock for the money but if you are looking for a light weight stock they are not the answer.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 PM

I purchased a Boyd’s Stock for my BRNO M98 Mauser this past summer. I knew there was going to be fitment issues with it being a Mauser action. Took it to a gun Smith to have it installed. Couldn’t be happy. Price was fair. The Canadian dollar was not the greatest at time of purchase. Action was bedded and barrel was free floated. Love the feel of it. I’m starting to like the feel of heavier rifles as I am starting to find they are easier to stabilize then a light weight rifle. No experience with the AT One stock but have no complaints about the Boyd’s stock I purchased.

DR
Old 12-04-2017, 09:12 PM

I have the thumbhole on my savage axis in 30-06
Pro varmint on my savage 93r17
Boyd's sniper on my savage 22 (predecessor to the tacticool that is the predecessor to the pro varmint)
SS evolution on my Remy 597

Only one that was not a drop in was the axis and that was when they first came out, took two minutes with the dremel to fix the relief area below the bolt release.

Love them all except the pro varmint I personally did not like the contour of the pistol grip, the sniper felt way better, so I sanded it down to how I like it.

Nothing to do with the fit to the rifle though.

V
Old 12-11-2017, 07:38 PM

I have 2 of the featherweight thumbhole laminate stocks, Ruger 77 mark 2 7mm rem magfor last 5 years and newest savage 114 7mm08. Both had to be glass bedded for perfect fit. Both dropped in without fitting, just not tight enough for me. I highly recommend them. They are not “featherweight” tho.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Banned

I have 3 Boyd stocks, one on a .223, a .17hmr and on a 10/22. Also bought 2 for my sons a .17 and a.22. Pretty happy with all of them. Only had to touch up one a bit with the dremel.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Handled a At One the other day at a gun show. It seemed ok, but I really thought the grip was uncomfortable. Also while I was adjusting the cheek piece the push button and spring flew out and across the room.