Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Don:
You certainly take up things with a bit of gusto.

Pail, silhouette, paper who gives a rip. As long as it's kinda the size of a 20 litre pail. (Everybody can visulize the concept, one would hope)

Go set the pail out there at 200 yards, meters or paces.

Kneel down like the illustration in the hunters ed manual shows(sorry lefty side guys you'll have to visualize a left hand posture) no sighters no twisty turney things, it'd be like you just came up on your animal of choice at 200, and had to let fly from kneeling!

Shoot three shots at your pail or target like a pail.

Can you hit it with your first 3 shots?

Betchya numerous guys can't throw 3 consecutive cold bore un prepped shots into that pail or target.....
Like anywhere around 7-10% success.

Please Don, take a breath, pushing so hard isn't healthy for fellows in your situation.

Yes kids theres all sorts of sarcasm and inuendo in this post.

Seriously.
Don, you are beginning to sound like the Charlie Browne school teacher.
https://youtu.be/q_BU5hR9gXE
Somebody threw a pail of water on somebody's head...they do that in football too, for the big win of course.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Seriously.
Beginning to sound like? LOL
Old 12-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Banned

200 yards or meters is sometimes the first location for chickens depending on the range,when this pail challenge was started that is what entered my grey matter.i dream of large plump tasty chickens then try for the head. When practising shooting sometimes it is better to have more than one routine?

Last edited by purgatory.sv; 12-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don:

Please Don, take a breath, pushing so hard isn't healthy for fellows in your situation.

Yes kids theres all sorts of sarcasm and inuendo in this post.

Seriously.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM

You know i wanted to participate in this challenge but would prefer 5 shots on a 3 gallon pale rather than 3 shots on a 5 gallon pale.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM

The Charlie Brown iron silhouette pails are underway. Ha

We are squaring them up a bit.

10"x14" with 2 anchor points off the irons to hang them vertical or horizontal at our choosing.

We will give them a go this week.
My long time friend is coming out for the good times.

Ye Ha. Let the good times roll.

Charlie Brown for sure Ha

Don
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
You know i wanted to participate in this challenge but would prefer 5 shots on a 3 gallon pale rather than 3 shots on a 5 gallon pale.
Sounds good, I'd be challanged finding a 3 gallon pail since the ones at our shop are 2 1/2's. LOL. We might have to use the USA gallon I guess.

Got the iron silhouettes pails done, then a quick stop at the farm to try it out.

Sad,,,,,, first 2 shots were spot on, but the 3rd blew the rod iron leg off.
Dam.

Back to the drawing board. LOL

Don
Old 12-11-2017, 11:36 PM

Fill that pail with a binary target, at least you will know when you hit it.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:31 AM

All of our iron silhouette stands seem to stand up pretty good, we use 5/8" construction re-bar normally to make up a saw-horse that holds the target suspended by chains.

I'm thinking the plan is to try 7/8" or thicker for the next stands, the 178gr bullets at 200m is not friendly on re-bar. Ha.

The original stands and gongs were set up for prone shooting only, 200 to 500 meters. We built the small stands 2 1/2' T x 3' W. Medium 3' T x 3 1/2 W. Large 4' T x 4' W. The legs are up side down V's with a bolt welded on the top of the V.

The vertical rod with chains hanging, has round dowling welded on the ends, that way the iron stands & silhouettes lay flat for transporting. They take up nill for room.
Get to location, turn the V Legs, tighten the wing nut, and it's good to go. We found out that the magnum cartrages rocked the platforms pretty good, now they stay well planted.

*** Caution ***
We were into about year 2 of pounding irons, my friend was out with the irons practicing for his fall hunt coming up.
"Normally" we would set up the gongs and silhouettes so they would be canted forward since the bullets would be dropping down on to them,,, angle of trajectory idea. Ha.

He got his first eye opener / all of us got our first eye opener.
He was blasting away like normal with the plates forward, angled towards his shooting position.
Just happened to be 1 of those days when luck is on our side.

He was on the 200m gong, he let one go, and a split second later a bullet or chunk of iron or fragment of lead went whistling past him.

Freaked him right out, and Wright-fully so.

Now we face the plates down-ward sitting ontop of soft dirt, sand, loam,,, that way it "lessons" the chance of re-truning mail.

Any Who, just sharing of what "could" happen. The tipped forward angle thing seemed like a good idea at the time since the bullets angle of impact would be square to things, but "maybe" not practical.

So sharp angle down in "hopes" that the remaining shrapnel of bullet ends up going into the dirt.
The hits normally force the iron gongs backwards so the angle of discharge is more so down-ward.

Each to there own setting up for the pail challanges.

We only use our iron silhouette & gongs on our farm & ranch lands as the shooting range is not approved for the portable ones, "not" that I know of, so we not going down that road.

Find out from your club what works before doing portable iron silhouettes,,, "kind of" a good idea.

Have fun all.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 12-12-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:43 AM

I have built steel targets that deflect the bullet down for years , it is the only safe way to do it IMO unless the target is a free standing knockdown type .
Cat
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 AM

^^^ X's 2

Yes, we were young and learning is key.

Don
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You're not thick headed. Look, if you'd like to get into a real "challenge" shoot" which involves a decent entry fee, prizes and $ to be won, PM me and I'll give you the details.
Sounds interesting